Forum has been upgraded (more info). Please report any issues on the Modifications to eOmahaForums topic under General Discussion.

While we're chatting about downtown hotels...

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

While we're chatting about downtown hotels...

Post by Bob from Omaha »

This talk about Drury Inns, etc. coming to downtown reminded me of another building. Decades ago First National moved out of its then headquarters building on 16th & Farnam. It's a beautiful building and I remember thinking that it would be a great building as a hotel. I think 16th Street has been a massive bungle, development-wise. Amazing mid and high rise buildings with outstanding architecture.

THIS would be a beautiful Drury Plaza Hotel, maybe a Westin, etc.


Image

Image
Bob from Omaha
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: While we're chatting about downtown hotels...

Post by Garrett »

Bob from Omaha wrote: Wed Dec 10, 2025 5:09 pm This talk about Drury Inns, etc. coming to downtown reminded me of another building. Decades ago First National moved out of its then headquarters building on 16th & Farnam. It's a beautiful building and I remember thinking that it would be a great building as a hotel. I think 16th Street has been a massive bungle, development-wise. Amazing mid and high rise buildings with outstanding architecture.

THIS would be a beautiful Drury Plaza Hotel, maybe a Westin, etc.


Image

Image
It's 81 condos converted in 2000. I'd hate to lose those residences.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: While we're chatting about downtown hotels...

Post by Bob from Omaha »

Garrett wrote: Wed Dec 10, 2025 7:25 pm
Bob from Omaha wrote: Wed Dec 10, 2025 5:09 pm This talk about Drury Inns, etc. coming to downtown reminded me of another building. Decades ago First National moved out of its then headquarters building on 16th & Farnam. It's a beautiful building and I remember thinking that it would be a great building as a hotel. I think 16th Street has been a massive bungle, development-wise. Amazing mid and high rise buildings with outstanding architecture.

THIS would be a beautiful Drury Plaza Hotel, maybe a Westin, etc.


Image

Image
It's 81 condos converted in 2000. I'd hate to lose those residences.
I'm not saying now. I thought that in the 80s. I thought it would have been a great boutique hotel. Tell the condo owners that Bob is retired & the boutique hotel isn't going to happen. They don't need to pack.
Bob from Omaha
stadsborgare
Library Board
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:33 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: While we're chatting about downtown hotels...

Post by stadsborgare »

When Parkfair Mall was still open, at the time I was saying to myself it could be more successful if we had a streetcar.

Now many years later, we are getting a streetcar, and this could help 16th Street have a real revival.