Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Jan 27, 2026 8:27 pm Great job Brad. Might be your best Mutual update yet :thumb: …
Thanks! Great access, great lighting, great sky. Made photos easy today!
iamjacobm wrote: Tue Jan 27, 2026 8:51 pm Great shots Brad!

I am sure it would have added cost but wow would the garage look worlds better if all of the non glass cladding for those floors was the blue textured material that you highlighted in pictures 3 and 4 instead of that boring off white cladding.
Thanks Jacob! Yes, that west side sure does look great!
Cermak wrote: Wed Jan 28, 2026 5:49 am Thanks for the great pictures Brad. You must have gotten inside CPP/The Duo or possibly a drone to get some of these shots. The west side of the garage is my least favorite part of the building. Luckily it’s not very noticeable since CPP/The Duo obstructs much of the view of it.
Thanks! Yes, I was in the Duo doing some photos for Grow Omaha.
windsor wrote: Wed Jan 28, 2026 9:43 pm Thanks for all the great photos. That blue design looks great.
Thanks! It was a good day!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Busguy2010 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Jan 28, 2026 9:32 pm I’m glad they didn’t build a 15 story parking garage on the lot to the east.
I wasn't sure if this was meant for me.

I want to rephrase just to make sure I'm not being misunderstood.

1) What I would have wanted so much more is first of all, the building to be built on the 13th to 14th street lot. That would be the true gateway, as nothing could be built further east.

2) Given the idea that they theoretically built this with a second shorter tower in mind, what I would have preferred is combine whatever sf there is of this tower with whatever sf there would be in a second building. Theoretically, that building would be about the same height, but functional space from floor 1-15.

3) That leaves the 14th to 15th lot (current site) to be anything (ideally another corporate HQ or a giant apartment/condo building). Given how much we historically detest the fact that Omaha is so much about parking, and that the ORBT stop is right there, and the Streetcar will be right there, maybe not have a parking garage at all? There was supposed to be a point to those transit implementations right? That the biggest thing to happen since the TOD implementations has a monstrosity of a parking garage, suggests that either the garage is wayyy overbuilt, or that the city (both government and citizens) really don’t believe in transit. And given its 15 stories, I mean they really don't believe in it.

4) To the parking garage point, I'm basically just repeating the same points that have been raised by probably a majority of members since I've been here. Yet, now that we have this building physically here in place, it seems to be getting a pass.

5) They made an effort to make the garage portion look less ugly. The east side doesn’t look bad, but theres only so much you can do to make a parking garage look less like a parking garage. I feel for future DUO residents. If I had the inclination to live on the 15th floor of any building in Omaha, that garage would be something to consider. I'm thinking I'd prefer the Orpheum.

Lastly, I'm not blasting Brad's photos. I generally don't make compliments here, at all. I think I can count on one hand in 15 years I simply made a compliment post. Not being rude, it's just not what I come here for. Though I do appreciate being able to see these things that I don't see every day, I simply comment my thoughts on what the photo is of. I just wanted it clear I think the garage is ugly, not the photo.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by skinzfan23 »

No that comment wasn’t made for you. I was just saying glad they didn’t build a separate garage from the tower on the lot to the east. I don’t know if the city would have passed that but because it’s Mutual, they may have. I don’t love the parking garage pedestal but I’m happy with the tower. As someone mentioned, at least from a distance you can’t even see the parking garage.
User avatar
WiinterU
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 14, 2025 8:55 pm

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by WiinterU »

They're still getting the steel construction at the top completed. Now it leaves the top part, which is entirely steel, covered in what I'm assuming is probably cloth. The final beam should go in soon after that is completed. I wonder when the glass installation will be finished.
Quayle did Bright Eyes
GenX
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by GenX »

WiinterU wrote: Sun Feb 01, 2026 10:58 pm They're still getting the steel construction at the top completed. Now it leaves the top part, which is entirely steel, covered in what I'm assuming is probably cloth. The final beam should go in soon after that is completed. I wonder when the glass installation will be finished.
According to the rendering, there will be an additional level of steel of the same height above what is currently going up. That will hide that upper portion that’s now wrapped in cloth.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4332
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by thenewguy »

they were working on it Saturday for sure, not sure about yesterday. Won't be long and it'll be topped out, but I bet the glass has at least a month.
Go Cubs Go
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Brad »

New Grow Omaha article out with an update on the timeline.

Mutual of Omaha Skyscraper Nears Final Height

https://growomaha.com/mutual-of-omaha-s ... al-height/
Grow Omaha wrote:Milestones Ahead in 2026
-Steel topping out: Spring 2026
-Building enclosure complete and crane demobilization: Summer 2026
-Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) testing: Summer 2026
-Building occupancy: Fall 2026
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote: Tue Feb 03, 2026 10:34 am New Grow Omaha article out with an update on the timeline.

Mutual of Omaha Skyscraper Nears Final Height

https://growomaha.com/mutual-of-omaha-s ... al-height/
Grow Omaha wrote:Milestones Ahead in 2026
-Steel topping out: Spring 2026
-Building enclosure complete and crane demobilization: Summer 2026
-Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) testing: Summer 2026
-Building occupancy: Fall 2026
Was hoping the article knew how many feel taller the glass/steel shroud would be above the shear core.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Judging by the renderings the next set of steel will be like the current 2-story floor going in now. So, slightly above the topped out elevator shaft.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by skinzfan23 »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Tue Feb 03, 2026 4:12 pm Judging by the renderings the next set of steel will be like the current 2-story floor going in now. So, slightly above the topped out elevator shaft.
Thats what I was thinking. Probably just a little higher than the highest point right now based on the renderings.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote: Tue Feb 03, 2026 10:34 am New Grow Omaha article out with an update on the timeline.

Mutual of Omaha Skyscraper Nears Final Height

https://growomaha.com/mutual-of-omaha-s ... al-height/
Grow Omaha wrote:Milestones Ahead in 2026
-Steel topping out: Spring 2026
-Building enclosure complete and crane demobilization: Summer 2026
-Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) testing: Summer 2026
-Building occupancy: Fall 2026
Looks like still on point to complete and have employees report this Fall. I think. That’s always been the final completion timeline I believe…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
GenX
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by GenX »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Tue Feb 03, 2026 4:12 pm Judging by the renderings the next set of steel will be like the current 2-story floor going in now. So, slightly above the topped out elevator shaft.
EricHaley wrote: Mon Feb 02, 2026 4:08 am
WiinterU wrote: Sun Feb 01, 2026 10:58 pm They're still getting the steel construction at the top completed. Now it leaves the top part, which is entirely steel, covered in what I'm assuming is probably cloth. The final beam should go in soon after that is completed. I wonder when the glass installation will be finished.
According to the rendering, there will be an additional level of steel of the same height above what is currently going up. That will hide that upper portion that’s now wrapped in cloth.
arch_RP_planner
Home Owners Association
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:02 am

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by arch_RP_planner »

Just a screenshot of the WOWT Live Cams, but good morning all! Wild to finally see this thing nearing the end of its exterior development..
Image
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by skinzfan23 »

You can tell from that view that there is another level of steel going to be tied in.
User avatar
WiinterU
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 14, 2025 8:55 pm

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by WiinterU »

The tarp or cloth that was covering the ultimate floor was removed.
Quayle did Bright Eyes
GenX
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by GenX »

WiinterU wrote: Sat Feb 07, 2026 10:37 pm The tarp or cloth that was covering the ultimate floor was removed.
Additional steel incoming?
User avatar
WiinterU
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 14, 2025 8:55 pm

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by WiinterU »

EricHaley wrote: Sun Feb 08, 2026 1:30 pm
WiinterU wrote: Sat Feb 07, 2026 10:37 pm The tarp or cloth that was covering the ultimate floor was removed.
Additional steel incoming?
I'd assume so.
Quayle did Bright Eyes
User avatar
Night Train
Home Owners Association
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:20 am

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Night Train »

Image
User avatar
WiinterU
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 14, 2025 8:55 pm

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by WiinterU »

Image
What is this other crane?
Quayle did Bright Eyes
Stan
Library Board
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Stan »

Photo from Devils Slide in Hummel Park yesterday.

Image
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Great photos guys :thumb: …

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Brad »

WiinterU wrote: Sun Feb 08, 2026 8:07 pm Image
What is this other crane?
Probably the crane across the river at the new adventure tower.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by nebport5 »

Brad wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 1:02 pm
WiinterU wrote: Sun Feb 08, 2026 8:07 pm Image
What is this other crane?
Probably the crane across the river at the new adventure tower.
I doubt that adventure crane would be that prominent(or perhaps even visible) from that vantage point. 96th and Q again? Could it be the one still up at the V.A.?
Erik
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Erik »

677 feet... 6 - 7 - 7 ...... 6 7
User avatar
WiinterU
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 14, 2025 8:55 pm

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by WiinterU »

nebport5 wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 1:54 pm
Brad wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 1:02 pm
WiinterU wrote: Sun Feb 08, 2026 8:07 pm Image
What is this other crane?
Probably the crane across the river at the new adventure tower.
I doubt that adventure crane would be that prominent(or perhaps even visible) from that vantage point. 96th and Q again? Could it be the one still up at the V.A.?
The adventure crane is yellow, from what I can remember. I don't remember there being a crane at the VA hospital. I haven't even seen any concepts for the new hospital yet.
Quayle did Bright Eyes
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by nebport5 »

WiinterU wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 5:28 pm
nebport5 wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 1:54 pm
Brad wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 1:02 pm
WiinterU wrote: Sun Feb 08, 2026 8:07 pm Image
What is this other crane?
Probably the crane across the river at the new adventure tower.
I doubt that adventure crane would be that prominent(or perhaps even visible) from that vantage point. 96th and Q again? Could it be the one still up at the V.A.?
The adventure crane is yellow, from what I can remember. I don't remember there being a crane at the VA hospital. I haven't even seen any concepts for the new hospital yet.
There was a black one at the VA when I drove by a few days ago.
User avatar
WiinterU
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 14, 2025 8:55 pm

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by WiinterU »

They haven't even shown a finished design yet. How can they already begin work on the new building?
Quayle did Bright Eyes
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: The Big O

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by guy4omaha »

Stan wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 10:57 am Photo from Devils Slide in Hummel Park yesterday.

Image
I wish it was more filled in. Sorta looks like an Arkansas smile from this angle. Nothing against the photo. Just wish it was more filled in.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by nebport5 »

WiinterU wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 7:21 pm They haven't even shown a finished design yet. How can they already begin work on the new building?
viewtopic.php?p=420507#p420507
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Brad »

nebport5 wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 8:27 pm
WiinterU wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 7:21 pm They haven't even shown a finished design yet. How can they already begin work on the new building?
viewtopic.php?p=420507#p420507
The crane in my photo in that thread is yellow also?
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by nebport5 »

Brad wrote: Tue Feb 10, 2026 7:32 am
nebport5 wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 8:27 pm
WiinterU wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 7:21 pm They haven't even shown a finished design yet. How can they already begin work on the new building?
viewtopic.php?p=420507#p420507
The crane in my photo in that thread is yellow also?
Indeed, but the one I saw within the last week was all black.
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Cermak »

guy4omaha wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 8:01 pm
Stan wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 10:57 am Photo from Devils Slide in Hummel Park yesterday.

Image
I wish it was more filled in. Sorta looks like an Arkansas smile from this angle. Nothing against the photo. Just wish it was more filled in.
Right, basically 3 big buildings. But still a very good skyline for a metro of about a million people. It would probably look a little better if they were bunched up closer together. Which is how it does appear when looking at from the east or west.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Brad »

One from Sunday morning in Manawa. Lots of heat distortion being so far away.

1.
20260208881A1721.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
WiinterU
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 14, 2025 8:55 pm

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by WiinterU »

Image

This is one of the better angels of the skyline, photo taken by Brad Williams. The KMTV Skycam view shows First National Bank Tower being entirely blocked by Mutual of Omaha Headquarters Tower.
Quayle did Bright Eyes
User avatar
WiinterU
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 14, 2025 8:55 pm

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by WiinterU »

These buildings are only really meant to be viewed from East facing West of the Missouri. However, the Union Pacific Center decided that North is good.
Quayle did Bright Eyes
Huskerbum
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:22 pm

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Huskerbum »

I think the best view is coming towards downtown on Abbott drive. If we can only get a 500 ft tower on the old UP lot and another 400 ft tower on the SOB lot Omaha will have a really nice skyline for a city its size. But alas, at least we’re not Phoenix!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: The Big O

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by guy4omaha »

Huskerbum wrote: Wed Feb 11, 2026 4:57 am I think the best view is coming towards downtown on Abbott drive. If we can only get a 500 ft tower on the old UP lot and another 400 ft tower on the SOB lot Omaha will have a really nice skyline for a city its size. But alas, at least we’re not Phoenix!
It's been roughly 25 years on average between the three we have now. So give it another 50 years and we will have the other two.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Erik
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Erik »

guy4omaha wrote: Wed Feb 11, 2026 7:35 pm
Huskerbum wrote: Wed Feb 11, 2026 4:57 am I think the best view is coming towards downtown on Abbott drive. If we can only get a 500 ft tower on the old UP lot and another 400 ft tower on the SOB lot Omaha will have a really nice skyline for a city its size. But alas, at least we’re not Phoenix!
It's been roughly 25 years on average between the three we have now. So give it another 50 years and we will have the other two.
Depends. The larger a city is, the more growth is had (for the same percentage rate) which entails more tall buildings.

The rate of which tall buildings getting built with 90% growth from 1970-2025 should nearly double.

Code: Select all

YEAR   | METRO POPULATION | PERIOD CHANGE | GROWTH RATE (%)
-------|------------------|---------------|-----------------
1970   | 542,646          | --            | --
2025*  | 1,013,322        | +470,676      | +86.7%
2080   | 1,891,872 (PROJ) | +878,550      | +86.7%
*2025 if the rate of growth stays the same as 2024


This includes the notoriously slow growth from the 70s and 80s fixed into the projections in case of a similar large scale work force deletion.

It is also well known that large building rates increase per unit of population as a city grows
Stan
Library Board
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by Stan »

guy4omaha wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 8:01 pm
Stan wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2026 10:57 am Photo from Devils Slide in Hummel Park yesterday.

Image
I wish it was more filled in. Sorta looks like an Arkansas smile from this angle. Nothing against the photo. Just wish it was more filled in.
It's not the greatest picture for sure to show our skyline, but funny enough I was doom scrolling Facebook and found that someone had taken my very picture and posted it on their page. Something about skylines and trees, but before I could save the post, it refreshed and lost it.

Edit: Wait, I found it. https://www.facebook.com/share/p/1CGEVLH6d5/

I was really just posting my picture to show the height of each where it does appear that MoA tower has the slight advantage.
User avatar
2Adam29
Home Owners Association
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:04 pm

Re: Mutual of Omaha Tower (14th & Farnam)

Post by 2Adam29 »

Looks like they're encasing the corner stairwells

Image