Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2026 9:21 am The Big 12 Tournament will have an LED basketball court this year:

https://www.ksnt.com/sports/new-led-cou ... z0h2Vu1Mig
I have seen some story's and video news stories on that the last few days. That just seems extermly distracting no matter when it is used
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by Louie »

The article calls out that its gentle on the ankles, curious how much different glass is to play on versus wood. Feel like thats going to be the biggest difference.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by nebugeater »

Louie wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2026 11:39 am The article calls out that its gentle on the ankles, curious how much different glass is to play on versus wood. Feel like thats going to be the biggest difference.
One TV news report I saw was a KC station on the floor. They talked about that. Said the feel and sound was the same as wood and the "bounce" was achieved with a metel flex support that was the bottom layer
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by Linkin5 »

Thanks I hate it.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by Greg S »

I'm definitely curious. Will reserve judgment good or bad until I actually see it in play.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by nebugeater »

Well, it was fun while it lasted.... or maybe not.

The Big 12 made the decision late Thursday to remove the LED floor overnight and use a traditional floor for the semi and finals.

Good call. Hope this is enough to never see this again in anything other than maybe an exhibition-type event


https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/bi ... tournament
By: Lauren Wolfe
Posted 12:50 AM, Mar 13, 2026 and last updated 36 minutes ago
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Big 12 announced late Thursday night that they would be swapping out the LED glass floor with a normal hardwood for the rest of the Men's Basketball Tournament at the T-Mobile Center.

In a statement, Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark says it came after consultation with coaches of the Semifinal teams.

“After consultation with the coaches of our four Semifinal teams, I have decided that in order to provide our student-athletes with the greatest level of comfort on a huge stage this weekend, we will transition to a hardwood court for the remainder of the Tournament. We look forward to a great Semifinals and Championship Game.”
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by Linkin5 »

I’m still just kind of shocked they decided to roll this out in a conference tournament and right before the NCAA tournament, this could have caused serious season ending injuries. On top of that, the only more distracting floor I’ve seen is Oregon’s. Just an overall awful idea by the Big 12.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by Louie »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2026 12:39 pm
Louie wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2026 11:39 am The article calls out that its gentle on the ankles, curious how much different glass is to play on versus wood. Feel like thats going to be the biggest difference.
One TV news report I saw was a KC station on the floor. They talked about that. Said the feel and sound was the same as wood and the "bounce" was achieved with a metel flex support that was the bottom layer
Apparently the bounce was fine, but the grip was trash.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by Greg S »

Louie wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2026 9:13 am
nebugeater wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2026 12:39 pm
Louie wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2026 11:39 am The article calls out that its gentle on the ankles, curious how much different glass is to play on versus wood. Feel like thats going to be the biggest difference.
One TV news report I saw was a KC station on the floor. They talked about that. Said the feel and sound was the same as wood and the "bounce" was achieved with a metel flex support that was the bottom layer
Apparently the bounce was fine, but the grip was trash.
I've watched a ton of BIg 12 tournament games and didn't notice issues, but there were complaints. Thought it was kind of cool.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2026 9:43 am
Louie wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2026 9:13 am
nebugeater wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2026 12:39 pm
Louie wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2026 11:39 am The article calls out that its gentle on the ankles, curious how much different glass is to play on versus wood. Feel like thats going to be the biggest difference.
One TV news report I saw was a KC station on the floor. They talked about that. Said the feel and sound was the same as wood and the "bounce" was achieved with a metel flex support that was the bottom layer
Apparently the bounce was fine, but the grip was trash.
I've watched a ton of BIg 12 tournament games and didn't notice issues, but there were complaints. Thought it was kind of cool.
Saw the report that it was pulled about 3 AM this morning, so went down the rabbit hole whole. A lot of slipping and grip issues for the men's tourney. Not as much noted for the women. Saw comments and comparisons that made sense to me anyway, that the women are lighter, and while they are actively moving around the same way, the mass does not need the same grip
Plenty of comments that the image and color were difficult to play with. The midcourt line was not ideal. The random graphics in non-play time were distracting for players.

I am all for trying something innovative, but this was not the time to do it with conf tourny play.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by nativeomahan »

Why the fudge would anyone think this was a good idea? Next the players will all be wearing LED enhanced jerseys.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree, this is so dumb. Talk about overload. Like many have said, you think they would have tested it before using in such a high profile event. There really is no reason for it either. I would think as a player, it would be so distracting.
OmahaRedWing
Human Relations
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:39 pm

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by OmahaRedWing »

skinzfan23 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2026 9:34 am I agree, this is so dumb. Talk about overload. Like many have said, you think they would have tested it before using in such a high profile event. There really is no reason for it either. I would think as a player, it would be so distracting.
I'm not sure it was really distracting. When the game was being played the floor looked exactly like the hardwood one they played on last year (and what they finished on this year).
strangerthings
Library Board
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:49 pm

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by strangerthings »

OmahaRedWing wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2026 10:09 am
skinzfan23 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2026 9:34 am I agree, this is so dumb. Talk about overload. Like many have said, you think they would have tested it before using in such a high profile event. There really is no reason for it either. I would think as a player, it would be so distracting.
I'm not sure it was really distracting. When the game was being played the floor looked exactly like the hardwood one they played on last year (and what they finished on this year).
I didn't notice a visual difference in-person during play. Was a big fan of the animations and activations they had going between play / games.
OmahaRedWing
Human Relations
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:39 pm

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by OmahaRedWing »

strangerthings wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2026 6:58 am
OmahaRedWing wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2026 10:09 am
skinzfan23 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2026 9:34 am I agree, this is so dumb. Talk about overload. Like many have said, you think they would have tested it before using in such a high profile event. There really is no reason for it either. I would think as a player, it would be so distracting.
I'm not sure it was really distracting. When the game was being played the floor looked exactly like the hardwood one they played on last year (and what they finished on this year).
I didn't notice a visual difference in-person during play. Was a big fan of the animations and activations they had going between play / games.
Yes I saw a few of them and thought it was very cool. Hopefully they can make the court work a little better for games.
CrankyOldDude
Home Owners Association
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2026 3:58 pm

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by CrankyOldDude »

I still get a kick out of the fact that KC built the arena for NBA and/or NHL and decades later neither showed up for the party. The forgotten part was that there needs to be a very deep pocketed party with the desire to bring it to KC. The leagues don't do it for you. On the KC board they are pitching an embolism about Vegas getting pro sports and putting down Vegas. I get it. They're jealous. Having the Big 12 BB playoffs is nice. Hosting NCAAM is nice. World Cup at Arrowhead is great. BUT KC is still a 2 sport small market city. Yep, it beats Omaha and Des Moines in size and sports. So you got that.
OmahaRedWing
Human Relations
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:39 pm

Re: Kansas City's Sprint Center.

Post by OmahaRedWing »

CrankyOldDude wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2026 11:18 am I still get a kick out of the fact that KC built the arena for NBA and/or NHL and decades later neither showed up for the party. The forgotten part was that there needs to be a very deep pocketed party with the desire to bring it to KC. The leagues don't do it for you. On the KC board they are pitching an embolism about Vegas getting pro sports and putting down Vegas. I get it. They're jealous. Having the Big 12 BB playoffs is nice. Hosting NCAAM is nice. World Cup at Arrowhead is great. BUT KC is still a 2 sport small market city. Yep, it beats Omaha and Des Moines in size and sports. So you got that.
We actually go down for 3 sports, Royals, Chiefs and Sporting KC.

Not sure if they are going to get NHL or not but they do have a prospective owner. Lamar Hunt Jr (his Dad was the owner of the Chiefs and brother Clark is the primary owner now).