AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:31 am
Location: O!

AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by jjjjhskr »

There’s probably a topic on this hotel but I had trouble finding it.

The hotel on 13th St by the zoo is closed and the first floor windows and doors are boarded up. Wondering if another brand will go in that building. Hard to believe another hotel hasn’t gone in that area yet.
Back Home in Omaha!
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:19 am

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by NEDodger »

The zoo needs to build a resort hotel on the property and have someone like Marriott manage it.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110948
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by nebugeater »

I assume you are referring to the Hotel at 13th St & I-80 It was an AmericInn I believe it was orignally a Comfort Inn


Here is a story about why and when it closed from WOWT on Nov 10

https://www.wowt.com/2025/11/11/raided- ... it-market/
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
jomaha9
Home Owners Association
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:34 pm

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by jomaha9 »

NEDodger wrote: Tue Dec 09, 2025 9:29 am The zoo needs to build a resort hotel on the property and have someone like Marriott manage it.
Agreed. I always thought it would be cool if the zoo redeveloped some of their parking for a mini entertainment district that had a hotel and some retail/restaurants that compliment the zoo. I can imagine that people would lose their minds if any parking was taken away or if they had to park in a garage though.
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by ricko »

A moderately priced family-focused hotel (or three) with an indoor waterpark would be a no brainer. I’m surprised the hotel community hasn’t jumped on this idea——probably the best location for a resort-lite hotel in the area. Hotel shuttle on constant rotation would relieve the zoo’s parking lot.
halgy
Home Owners Association
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:09 pm
Location: Downtown Omaha

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by halgy »

ricko wrote: Tue Dec 09, 2025 7:06 pm Hotel shuttle on constant rotation would relieve the zoo’s parking lot.
Or, ya know, a streetcar extension. Have it stop directly at the hotel like a Disney World resort.
F0R_L1F3
Home Owners Association
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:24 am

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by F0R_L1F3 »

Would be so ideal honestly especially with the upgrades over time to the landscaping across the parking lot. A lot more inviting especially if you develop a hotel here.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by Brad »

Remember MORTON D SULLIVAN? He owns 8 of the vacant lots around that hotel.

So much wasted ground around there including that hotel and a terrible road network. Its almost like they intentionally isolated that area during the CWS at Rosenblatt era. There's a good 10 acres of vacant land there including the hotel. Unfortunately its under sever different owners. If someone could consolidate that land under a uniform ownership, they could make a nice development.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Always thought a Great Wolf Lodge would be perfect here. Right off I-80 and right across from the zoo.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Dec 10, 2025 9:45 pm Always thought a Great Wolf Lodge would be perfect here. Right off I-80 and right across from the zoo.
Completely agree.

Greg
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote: Wed Dec 10, 2025 9:30 pm Remember MORTON D SULLIVAN? He owns 8 of the vacant lots around that hotel.

So much wasted ground around there including that hotel and a terrible road network. Its almost like they intentionally isolated that area during the CWS at Rosenblatt era. There's a good 10 acres of vacant land there including the hotel. Unfortunately its under sever different owners. If someone could consolidate that land under a uniform ownership, they could make a nice development.
Totally forgot about Morton D Sullivan, it looks like he passed away this past summer and one of his many domains www.drunkalcoholic.com is no longer active.

Agree with you skinzfan this would be a great location for Great Wolf Lodge or some sort of indoor waterpark hotel.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by Louie »

Did some quick googling and the average Great Wolf is between 20 to 48 acres in size. Unfortunately, the area I measured here is only about 7 acres so there would need to be a lot of changes made.
Image

And even if drastic demolishing occurred, the following area is only about 15 and a half acres.

Image
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by ita »

Louie wrote: Thu Dec 11, 2025 10:55 am Did some quick googling and the average Great Wolf is between 20 to 48 acres in size. Unfortunately, the area I measured here is only about 7 acres so there would need to be a lot of changes made.
Image

And even if drastic demolishing occurred, the following area is only about 15 and a half acres.

Image
it's been mentioned before about having something like a Great Wolf Lodge by the Zoo. This is 25 acres:

Image

I don't think that ever happens for myriad of reasons, but it's fun to imagine.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for checking those measurements.... I did think the AmericInn property did seem small.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by Garrett »

I imagine the market for a Great Wolf Lodge is also weakened by the construction of Bellevue Bay
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Garrett wrote: Thu Dec 11, 2025 12:06 pm I imagine the market for a Great Wolf Lodge is also weakened by the construction of Bellevue Bay
For sure it will be if that gets built....no way we could sustain both.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by Louie »

I mean, we could probably fit a Good Wolf Lodge there
Stan
Library Board
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by Stan »

Louie wrote: Thu Dec 11, 2025 1:27 pm I mean, we could probably fit a Good Wolf Lodge there
I wish there was a better way to give kudos to funny posts.

I saw this yesterday and started giggling and then made myself laugh more thinking "OK Wolf Lodge"
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Stan wrote: Fri Dec 12, 2025 8:20 am
Louie wrote: Thu Dec 11, 2025 1:27 pm I mean, we could probably fit a Good Wolf Lodge there
I wish there was a better way to give kudos to funny posts.

I saw this yesterday and started giggling and then made myself laugh more thinking "OK Wolf Lodge"
:lol: I didn't catch that!
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by Linkin5 »

Image
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thats about what the hotel there now probably looks like.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by Louie »

Linkin5 wrote: Fri Dec 12, 2025 10:54 am Image
Its beautiful
Stan
Library Board
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by Stan »

Hey Kids, you ready to go to Good Wolf Lodge?!
You mean Great Wolf Lodge, dad?
No. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003376
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by BRoss »

Stan wrote: Fri Dec 12, 2025 8:20 am I saw this yesterday and started giggling and then made myself laugh more thinking "OK Wolf Lodge"
Same. I almost replied back with another name a tier down I was thinking but decided I didn't need to make the same but worse joke :lol:
BIGO88
Library Board
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by BIGO88 »

This has sold and will become another hotel.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by Louie »

BIGO88 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2026 9:10 pm This has sold and will become another hotel.
Yep, we know. The good Wolf lodge.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by Brad »

BIGO88 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2026 9:10 pm This has sold and will become another hotel.
Demolish and build new or rehab?
OmahaOmaha
Library Board
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: West Omaha

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by OmahaOmaha »

This will become the Fisher Price Hotel and Little People Waterpark.
BIGO88
Library Board
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by BIGO88 »

Brad wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2026 10:15 pm
BIGO88 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2026 9:10 pm This has sold and will become another hotel.
Demolish and build new or rehab?
https://www.wowt.com/2026/03/17/sale-un ... near-i-80/

Looks like it will be rehabbed.
CrankyOldDude
Home Owners Association
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2026 3:58 pm

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by CrankyOldDude »

I love it! In the story he said the closing could take 90-120 days. The new 60-90 days.
BuildTaller
Home Owners Association
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2025 9:57 am

Re: AmericInn Hotel (I80 & 13th St)

Post by BuildTaller »

I find it funny that the news decides to call it the "raided Omaha hotel near I-80".
Everyone knows it as the hotel by the zoo. Google maps even calls it "Omaha Zoo Hotel"