User avatar
remline
Library Board
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2024 10:38 am
User avatar
remline
Library Board
I think there is a lot of potential at this site. Two big questions for me:

1. Are we talking about tearing down the existing building, or re-developing it into apartments?
2. Is it common to mix market-rate apartments with affordable apartments?
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
remline wrote: ↑Wed Apr 29, 2026 9:24 am I think there is a lot of potential at this site. Two big questions for me:

1. Are we talking about tearing down the existing building, or re-developing it into apartments?
2. Is it common to mix market-rate apartments with affordable apartments?
1. Almost certainly a teardown. None of the structure within the parking area would be (easily) convertible to apartments, and even then, the floor plates are pretty massive where they'd need to cut in a lot of light wells to give every apartment windows. I can't imagine the juice would be worth the squeeze on a retrofit here.

2. Yes, several developments around town have done it (Highlander, Southside Terrace, Capriana)
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
BRoss wrote: ↑Sat Apr 25, 2026 2:22 am A surely brilliant usage of quoting to send a message
I hope this isn't an annoying way to ask that this thread be moved to the urban subforum
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036554
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Garrett wrote: ↑Wed Apr 29, 2026 2:15 pm
BRoss wrote: ↑Sat Apr 25, 2026 2:22 am A surely brilliant usage of quoting to send a message
I hope this isn't an annoying way to ask that this thread be moved to the urban subforum
LOL! Takes 3 clicks to move it... Done
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Brad wrote: ↑Wed Apr 29, 2026 2:19 pm
Garrett wrote: ↑Wed Apr 29, 2026 2:15 pm
BRoss wrote: ↑Sat Apr 25, 2026 2:22 am A surely brilliant usage of quoting to send a message
I hope this isn't an annoying way to ask that this thread be moved to the urban subforum
LOL! Takes 3 clicks to move it... Done
Haha thanks! I was worried my first ask was getting buried by further discussion.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Community meeting about this development will be tonight, 5:30-6:30, at the Field Club Ballroom. I'm interested to see their proposal
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Image

Quick and dirty screengrab from the Channel 3 story

https://www.3newsnow.com/central-omaha/ ... fice-space
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
GenX
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1229
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Location: Omaha
GenX
Parks & Recreation
7-8 stories? I like it!
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: Dundee
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association
I like what I see so far. Btw this is still in the Suburban section ...
OmahaOmaha
Library Board
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: West Omaha
OmahaOmaha
Library Board
Garrett wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2026 7:07 am Image

Quick and dirty screengrab from the Channel 3 story

https://www.3newsnow.com/central-omaha/ ... fice-space
That’s just plain ugly.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4330
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
OmahaOmaha wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2026 1:27 pm
Garrett wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2026 7:07 am Image

Quick and dirty screengrab from the Channel 3 story

https://www.3newsnow.com/central-omaha/ ... fice-space
That’s just plain ugly.
Image
Go Cubs Go
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee
Louie
County Board
OmahaOmaha wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2026 1:27 pm
Garrett wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2026 7:07 am Image

Quick and dirty screengrab from the Channel 3 story

https://www.3newsnow.com/central-omaha/ ... fice-space
That’s just plain ugly.
The current center mall is an architectural masterpiece. Breathtaking to behold.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10812
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Community Redevelopment Area proposal for this in front of the planning board next week. Should get a little more info on the plans when they post the docs.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Nothing too interesting here, just an application for turning the area into a Community Redevelopment Area and some vague references to 500+ apartments with a market rate and affordable mix

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... une/09.pdf
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
jag42
Human Relations
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
jag42
Human Relations
Just curious what the top floor is used for now, or if it's vacant, where the bowling alley was? I bowled there 40 years ago in my younger days!
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee
Louie
County Board
jag42 wrote: ↑Fri May 29, 2026 6:28 pm Just curious what the top floor is used for now, or if it's vacant, where the bowling alley was? I bowled there 40 years ago in my younger days!
There was a bowling alley on the top floor? That’s pretty wild.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2136
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha
djc311
Planning Board
Louie wrote: ↑Fri May 29, 2026 7:11 pm
jag42 wrote: ↑Fri May 29, 2026 6:28 pm Just curious what the top floor is used for now, or if it's vacant, where the bowling alley was? I bowled there 40 years ago in my younger days!
There was a bowling alley on the top floor? That’s pretty wild.
Yes there was - I bowled there on my Jr Traveling Classic league about 32 years ago. It was called Center Lanes.
CBJason
Library Board
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:01 pm
Location: MEM burbs
CBJason
Library Board
Yep, I remember going there as a kid in the late 80’s/early 90’s when my parents bowled there.
jag42
Human Relations
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
jag42
Human Relations
I thought it was Sky Lanes, since being on the top floor, it was in the sky, haha. I can't remember if it was 24 or 32 lanes. Had a pretty good video game arcade too. Spent many quarters on Millipede, the sequel to Centipede.
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm
Cermak
Planning Board
I was inside this place last year. It was still in fairly good condition considering its age. Really a unique building, it’s got to be one of the oldest malls in the country still standing, maybe the oldest.
OmahaFan
Library Board
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha
OmahaFan
Library Board
I like the drawings the company made up be nice if it was 10 stories with shops and businesses on the bottom. Add a parking garage for the Customers , Residents and VA Employees and you’ve got something nice.
GenX
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1229
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Location: Omaha
GenX
Parks & Recreation
OmahaFan wrote: ↑Mon Jun 08, 2026 7:48 pm I like the drawings the company made up be nice if it was 10 stories with shops and businesses on the bottom. Add a parking garage for the Customers , Residents and VA Employees and you’ve got something nice.
Agreed!!