Library Board
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2024 10:38 am
I think there is a lot of potential at this site. Two big questions for me:
1. Are we talking about tearing down the existing building, or re-developing it into apartments?
2. Is it common to mix market-rate apartments with affordable apartments?
1. Are we talking about tearing down the existing building, or re-developing it into apartments?
2. Is it common to mix market-rate apartments with affordable apartments?
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
1. Almost certainly a teardown. None of the structure within the parking area would be (easily) convertible to apartments, and even then, the floor plates are pretty massive where they'd need to cut in a lot of light wells to give every apartment windows. I can't imagine the juice would be worth the squeeze on a retrofit here.
2. Yes, several developments around town have done it (Highlander, Southside Terrace, Capriana)
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
Photographer
Posts: 1036554
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
LOL! Takes 3 clicks to move it... Done

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
Haha thanks! I was worried my first ask was getting buried by further discussion.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
Community meeting about this development will be tonight, 5:30-6:30, at the Field Club Ballroom. I'm interested to see their proposal
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Quick and dirty screengrab from the Channel 3 story
https://www.3newsnow.com/central-omaha/ ... fice-space
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1229
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Location: Omaha
7-8 stories? I like it!
Home Owners Association
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: Dundee
I like what I see so far. Btw this is still in the Suburban section ...
Library Board
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: West Omaha
That’s just plain ugly.Garrett wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2026 7:07 am
Quick and dirty screengrab from the Channel 3 story
https://www.3newsnow.com/central-omaha/ ... fice-space
County Board
Posts: 4329
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs
OmahaOmaha wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2026 1:27 pmThat’s just plain ugly.Garrett wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2026 7:07 am
Quick and dirty screengrab from the Channel 3 story
https://www.3newsnow.com/central-omaha/ ... fice-space

Go Cubs Go
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee
The current center mall is an architectural masterpiece. Breathtaking to behold.OmahaOmaha wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2026 1:27 pmThat’s just plain ugly.Garrett wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2026 7:07 am
Quick and dirty screengrab from the Channel 3 story
https://www.3newsnow.com/central-omaha/ ... fice-space
City Council
Posts: 10812
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago
Community Redevelopment Area proposal for this in front of the planning board next week. Should get a little more info on the plans when they post the docs.
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
Nothing too interesting here, just an application for turning the area into a Community Redevelopment Area and some vague references to 500+ apartments with a market rate and affordable mix
https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... une/09.pdf
https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... une/09.pdf
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Human Relations
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
Just curious what the top floor is used for now, or if it's vacant, where the bowling alley was? I bowled there 40 years ago in my younger days!
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee
Planning Board
Posts: 2136
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha
Yes there was - I bowled there on my Jr Traveling Classic league about 32 years ago. It was called Center Lanes.
Library Board
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:01 pm
Location: MEM burbs
Yep, I remember going there as a kid in the late 80’s/early 90’s when my parents bowled there.
Human Relations
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
I thought it was Sky Lanes, since being on the top floor, it was in the sky, haha. I can't remember if it was 24 or 32 lanes. Had a pretty good video game arcade too. Spent many quarters on Millipede, the sequel to Centipede.
Planning Board
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm
I was inside this place last year. It was still in fairly good condition considering its age. Really a unique building, it’s got to be one of the oldest malls in the country still standing, maybe the oldest.
Library Board
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha
I like the drawings the company made up be nice if it was 10 stories with shops and businesses on the bottom. Add a parking garage for the Customers , Residents and VA Employees and you’ve got something nice.
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1229
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Location: Omaha