OKC 2nd Tallest Skyscraper in the USA

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: OKC 2nd Tallest Skyscraper in the USA

Post by Greg S »

I can't say if this project actually gets off the ground or not. My in-laws live just south of OKC and they still say there is a heavy amount of skepticism locally on it getting going.

That being said, I have been going down there consistently to visit my wife's family since the mid 90's. I think more than any other city OKC's downtown has been the most transformative in that time frame. When we first starting going down there, it was dead and seemed stagnant. Bricktown was OK, and that was about the only reason to go down there.

The passing of the MAPS to fund all the growth was such a home run for them. I do think OKC will continue to feed off their downtown growth and very possibly be the next boom city.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10815
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Re: OKC 2nd Tallest Skyscraper in the USA

Post by iamjacobm »

It seems like OKC has a lot going on but to use a very antiquated phrase I will eat my hat if this gets built. Forget the tall tower at this point i don't even think this guy will get one of the smaller proposed buildings built.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: OKC 2nd Tallest Skyscraper in the USA

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote: Sun Jul 27, 2025 9:19 pm It seems like OKC has a lot going on but to use a very antiquated phrase I will eat my hat if this gets built. Forget the tall tower at this point i don't even think this guy will get one of the smaller proposed buildings built.
Yep, as I said in my post, the locals are very skeptical on this particular project.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: OKC 2nd Tallest Skyscraper in the USA

Post by Garrett »

OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: OKC 2nd Tallest Skyscraper in the USA

Post by skinzfan23 »

Haha that is funny, I am actually surprised they are even getting this far with it.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4333
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: OKC 2nd Tallest Skyscraper in the USA

Post by thenewguy »

i'm sure oklahoma city is a fine place to live, but it really seems too pie-in-the-sky. I feel like the developer could have done a series of buildings of varying heights and may get more support. People want balconies, they want views, they want to be in the middle of the action. The building(s) just seem to be kind of cold with nothing around it and nothing much to see. At least if there were a cluster of them, you could look out/down at what is going on in the other buildings and at street level. Truthfully, that's what makes the Duo conversion seem much more interesting to me. It is in the core of the density here and there's something interesting to look at when you are home.
Go Cubs Go