Driving in and around Omaha

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).
buildomaha
Human Relations
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:06 am

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by buildomaha »

I would say you have the opposite situation further west on dodge (156-204th) where the frequent exit/on ramps along with 3 lane busy traffic don’t allow anyone to go the 70 mph speed limit most times of the day.
This portion of Dodge just east of the interchange provides almost no sense of how fast you come off the freeway and ramps (elevated wide lanes, little sense of enclosure, etc).
#gohawks
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7331
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by Busguy2010 »

People who don't get up to speed on the on ramp. Been a while since I've had that one happen. This person yesterday was
GenX
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1231
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:16 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by GenX »

buildomaha wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2026 4:06 am I would say you have the opposite situation further west on dodge (156-204th) where the frequent exit/on ramps along with 3 lane busy traffic don’t allow anyone to go the 70 mph speed limit most times of the day.
This portion of Dodge just east of the interchange provides almost no sense of how fast you come off the freeway and ramps (elevated wide lanes, little sense of enclosure, etc).
I don’t know about anyone else, but I often don’t feel the need to go above 70 on Dodge west of 156th.
buildomaha
Human Relations
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:06 am

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by buildomaha »

GenX wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2026 9:14 pm
buildomaha wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2026 4:06 am I would say you have the opposite situation further west on dodge (156-204th) where the frequent exit/on ramps along with 3 lane busy traffic don’t allow anyone to go the 70 mph speed limit most times of the day.
This portion of Dodge just east of the interchange provides almost no sense of how fast you come off the freeway and ramps (elevated wide lanes, little sense of enclosure, etc).
I don’t know about anyone else, but I often don’t feel the need to go above 70 on Dodge west of 156th.
I agree it seems asinine to have to set so high.
#gohawks
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7331
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by Busguy2010 »

I personally have no qualms going 70 the whole way, as I'd say at least half of people don't slow when it goes down to 55. I just so happened to use the expressway today, as rarely as I do. The problem I ran into was the person in front of me not getting up to speed on the on ramp. They really almost caused an accident because not only was I stuck behind them, another person was coming up quickly and had to brake from 70 to 45 to let us in, or we'd all be on the shoulder or in the creek. Funny thing about it, if they had gotten up to speed, we would have been nowhere near that other car. People scared to get on the highway is just as dangerous as the brazen a holes that do 85.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by nativeomahan »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2026 3:02 am People scared to get on the highway is just as dangerous as the brazen a holes that do 85.
Boy is that ever true!
ThreeGGG
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:11 am

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by ThreeGGG »

nativeomahan wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2026 4:26 pm
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2026 3:02 am People scared to get on the highway is just as dangerous as the brazen a holes that do 85.
Boy is that ever true!
100% AGREE!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036569
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by Brad »

Omaha Scanner wrote: Injury Accident: 114th and W Center Rd.
Caller says car is split in half.
OFD: E52 TR61 M20 M52 M61 B6
Time Out: 18:41

M61 giving Children’s a pre-trauma alert.
M20 giving Bergan a pre-trauma alert.

‪M61 enroute to Children’s Code 99 (CPR in progress) with a 6-7 y/o male who has critical injuries. ‬
M20 enroute to Children’s Code 99 (CPR in Progress) with a 12 y/o male backseat passenger who has critical injuries.
‪M52 to Bergan Code 3 Trauma (critical) with the 28 y/o male driver of the vehicle. ‬
‪M56 enroute to Bergan Code 3 Trauma (critical) with a 33 y/o male.
One of the Facebook comments says there aren't even skid marks! How fast you going to cut a car in half.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7331
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by Busguy2010 »

Wow, Is Dodge street always this bad? I just went eastbound from 90th, and I'm not exaggerating when I say, literally, westbound traffic was backed up from 90th to at least 72nd, all 3 and 4 lanes full. What a nightmare to have to drive that every day. Would not doubt if each light took 3 cycles to get through. Didn't see an accident or anything.

Didn't they leave room to expand to 4 lanes between 72nd and 87th? I'd say its needed after seeing that. Even better add that lane to be a bus lane only.
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003383
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by BRoss »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2026 10:35 pm Didn't they leave room to expand to 4 lanes between 72nd and 87th? I'd say its needed after seeing that. Even better add that lane to be a bus lane only.
Years ago they had plans to go to 8 lanes to 72nd but I doubt that will ever happen.
brick
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:31 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by brick »

No its not usually that bad. the two left-most westbound lanes are closed at 96th St for a week.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7331
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by Busguy2010 »

brick wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 5:30 pm No its not usually that bad. the two left-most westbound lanes are closed at 96th St for a week.
So thats all it takes to create carmaggeddon? I'd love to know the percentage of people zipper merging here. My guess, 5%.

Knowing that's probably what the problem is, it's ridiculous the pride people have over a spot in line, as well as the fear that nobody's going to "let" you in.

The other day traveling northbound on S72nd from Harrison, the traffic for the construction merge just south of L was in a single file, backed up all the way til just south of Main St Ralston. Thats over a half mile. That's ridiculous. And it wasnt even peak, it was like 6:30. I was already in the right lane, but when I saw that, I said oh bull pocky! And I proceeded forward in the left lane. Passed probably close to a hundred cars, drove to the merge point and tucked in front of somebody. I said welp, I'd hate to know how long you've been sitting in this line, but don't mind if I do. #1 thing I'd be dammed if I do is sit through additional lights for a merge point, as all those cars did.

At the very least, I am now zipper merging at every possible opportunity, just in hopes that anybody else will see and learn the way. But not one of those ~ 100 cars did.

Pacific at 108th is another big one. Im like, people, its going to be a long couple years if yall dont pull your head out your rear and move to the front of the line. If I can do it, you can too! But for now Ill just reap the benefits, I guess.
locoluke
Home Owners Association
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2025 4:16 am

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by locoluke »

brick wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 5:30 pm No its not usually that bad. the two left-most westbound lanes are closed at 96th St for a week.
Also, not sure if this was the case the other day, but the rightmost lane on the westbound approach to 90th is also closed today.
Jobbers Canyon Truther
:hammer:
ThreeGGG
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:11 am

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by ThreeGGG »

Why is 84th Street constantly backed up? Constantly!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7331
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by Busguy2010 »

ThreeGGG wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2026 8:30 pm Why is 84th Street constantly backed up? Constantly!
It was a nightmare last time I went out to the dentist down there which was June. It was literally... Literally bumper to bumper alllll the way from I-80 to Brentwood Dr (between Harrison & Giles). Part of the problem was the construction work just north of Brentwood. They positioned the lane closed ahead sign all the way up by Park Dr, and of course, everybody got over way too early. That, and the other issue was 72nd and L being all chopped up. It probably still causes some of the congestion on 84th.
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003383
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by BRoss »

Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2026 11:30 pm It was a nightmare last time I went out to the dentist down there which was June. It was literally... Literally bumper to bumper alllll the way from I-80 to Brentwood Dr (between Harrison & Giles).
Unless there's another dentist office that I'm unaware of around 84th & Brentwood, I think you may have the same dentist as me.
Stan
Library Board
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:55 pm

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by Stan »

Can we get some competent contractors to finally finish up the stuff going on around 144th and Pacific? This has been going on for well over a month that impacts school traffic around Millard North High School. Reduced to one lane going east and cutting off the turning lane. Boys Town updates coming West and a reduction of the southbound to east turn.

I just needed somewhere to vent.
ThreeGGG
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:11 am

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by ThreeGGG »

PLEASE! Stop tailgating. Everyday on Interstate 80. All the way from downtown out to Nebraska Crossing.
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:08 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

ThreeGGG wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 2:45 pm PLEASE! Stop tailgating. Everyday on Interstate 80. All the way from downtown out to Nebraska Crossing.
What lane are you in?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110965
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by nebugeater »

ThreeGGG wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 2:45 pm PLEASE! Stop tailgating. Everyday on Interstate 80. All the way from downtown out to Nebraska Crossing.
Maybe stop driving 45 in the left lane
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ThreeGGG
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:11 am

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by ThreeGGG »

I will say this for the 793rd time. I know how to drive. I know what speed limits are for, and I know how to make traffic flow smoothly. I would be willing to test my skills with a professional anytime. STOP TAILGATING means just that! Driving at high rates of speed 2-3 feet from someone's back bumper is UNSAFE, no matter the circumstances. [nubugeater] must be an unsafe driver to support tailgating under any circumstances.
P.S. to stop or curb tailgating I also don't believe in brake checking someone either. See how that works? SAFETY FIRST, no matter what. I know that is hard to understand for the over aggressive drivers.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7331
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by Busguy2010 »

I keep my eyes forward. If they wipe us out, its on them. We like Nascar, so every lane on that stretch is the fast lane. In the city, I don't think the left lane to pass 100% applies, as any lane can naturally become the faster moving lane. Sometimes a 75mph-er ends up in the left lane and often arent offered the opportunity to get out of it. That's a gripe, all the people who whip around you like you aren't doing the speed limit. You really feel stuck there, because that person with their nose up your |expletive| could easily unexpectedly whip around... OR, do you just continue to pass the even slower cars, even though 75 isn't "fast enough". A pickle.
ThreeGGG
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:11 am

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by ThreeGGG »

Busguy 2010,... pretty well said.
A lot of Omaha drivers have the attitude of --------
"I must pass anyone in front of me."
"If everyone would just get out of my way."
" I make the 20 minute drive in 15 minutes."
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:35 am
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by damonhynes »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:42 am I keep my eyes forward. If they wipe us out, its on them. We like Nascar, so every lane on that stretch is the fast lane. In the city, I don't think the left lane to pass 100% applies, as any lane can naturally become the faster moving lane. Sometimes a 75mph-er ends up in the left lane and often arent offered the opportunity to get out of it. That's a gripe, all the people who whip around you like you aren't doing the speed limit. You really feel stuck there, because that person with their nose up your |expletive| could easily unexpectedly whip around... OR, do you just continue to pass the even slower cars, even though 75 isn't "fast enough". A pickle.
There's no way to mandate a hard/fast rule as to when rural stops and metro begins, but I'd like a big green sign about the Gretna NE-31 exit going east that reads 'anything goes' and one heading west, 'stay right except to pass'.
An aside to this--I have no problem with passing people on the right, no matter if it's rural or metro.
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003383
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Driving in and around Omaha

Post by BRoss »

If you are being passed or going the same speed as those to the right when in lane #1 (e.g. the left lane) on a freeway or rural multi-lane highway, you might want to rethink whether you should be there. It's just basic courtesy to move over when someone is coming up behind you. I get that extreme speeders can be concerning, but it's not your job to police them. That can lead to road rage and cause a very dangerous situation. It's best for everyone to just move out of the way and report it afterwards if it's that bad.