Starbucks

News and releases from metro area businesses
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Starbucks

Post by djc311 »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Sep 29, 2025 4:26 pm There's a lot of Starbucks location silliness. Like, how Target in L Street Marketplace has a Starbucks inside but right out in front of that very same Target is a standalone Starbucks. They're maybe 150 feet apart.
Completely agree - and they're getting ready to open the one on 192nd & 370 which is MAYBE a block away from the one inside HyVee there. Granted, I do kinda understand the idea that there's a drive thru in the free-standing locations where the in-store Starbucks obviously cannot.
JohnFN
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:05 pm

Re: Starbucks

Post by JohnFN »

Jins123 wrote: Fri Sep 26, 2025 3:05 pm
ChadJK wrote: Thu Sep 25, 2025 3:18 pm I see Starbucks is closing 1% of their locations and doing some layoffs at corporate:
https://www.cnn.com/2025/09/25/food/sta ... es-layoffs

According to the OWH the Nebraska stores closing are:

90th & Fort

90th & Maple

72nd & Dodge

72nd & L

12th & P (Lincoln)
Was looking at fast food property valuations, and I think that this might be a portion of why these stores closed down, I knew that most fast food style places got a huge valuation hike in douglas county this past year, but I didn't realize that some stores like Starbucks got a full >2x increase, 7x increase in 3 years.

https://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Applic ... 1711811337

Not sure if the pattern holds though, because the 90th and Fort one was more stable in the last 5 years, even if it did get the 2x hike this year, and the 72nd and Dodge location was part of a larger strip mall that had no valuation

https://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Applic ... 1840390190

Never just one thing, though, I'm sure these stores were underperforming as well. Just another factor to think about, especially as the Children's Museum cancelled their move this week.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Starbucks

Post by djc311 »

JohnFN wrote: Mon Nov 10, 2025 11:29 pm
Jins123 wrote: Fri Sep 26, 2025 3:05 pm
ChadJK wrote: Thu Sep 25, 2025 3:18 pm I see Starbucks is closing 1% of their locations and doing some layoffs at corporate:
https://www.cnn.com/2025/09/25/food/sta ... es-layoffs

According to the OWH the Nebraska stores closing are:

90th & Fort

90th & Maple

72nd & Dodge

72nd & L

12th & P (Lincoln)
Was looking at fast food property valuations, and I think that this might be a portion of why these stores closed down, I knew that most fast food style places got a huge valuation hike in douglas county this past year, but I didn't realize that some stores like Starbucks got a full >2x increase, 7x increase in 3 years.

https://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Applic ... 1711811337

Not sure if the pattern holds though, because the 90th and Fort one was more stable in the last 5 years, even if it did get the 2x hike this year, and the 72nd and Dodge location was part of a larger strip mall that had no valuation

https://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Applic ... 1840390190

Never just one thing, though, I'm sure these stores were underperforming as well. Just another factor to think about, especially as the Children's Museum cancelled their move this week.
Regardless of the business, I think it's insane the valuation would double (or even increase by more than that) in that period of time.

The arguments the govt. makes for why real estate values increase as much as they do are ridiculous. It's way out of balance and no one should have to be subjected to a tax bill that goes up that much (unless they develop an empty lot or something similar). Although it's not commercial real estate, I really feel for older people on fixed incomes that own their homes.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2518
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: Starbucks

Post by ChadJK »

I can't remember if I noted it elsewhere, but these three new(ish) Gretna area Starbucks are open:

Starbucks (168th & Hwy 370)
11204 S 167th St
Gretna, NE 68028

Starbucks (inside Hy-Vee)
10855 191st Ave
Omaha, NE 68136

Starbucks (192nd & Hwy 370)
19407 Oakmont Dr
Gretna, NE 68028

Three Starbucks along the same 2.5 mile section of highway in the low density suburbs of western Sarpy County..
swinquest
Home Owners Association
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:46 am

Re: Starbucks

Post by swinquest »

Looks like Starbucks is closing more stores....the article mentions the closures will take place mostly in large metropolitan areas. I'm going to assume that Omaha is not considered "large"??

https://www.wowt.com/2025/12/29/starbuc ... -locations
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2518
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: Starbucks

Post by ChadJK »

swinquest wrote: Mon Dec 29, 2025 7:18 pm Looks like Starbucks is closing more stores....the article mentions the closures will take place mostly in large metropolitan areas. I'm going to assume that Omaha is not considered "large"??

https://www.wowt.com/2025/12/29/starbuc ... -locations
The ones most likely to unionize?
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1280
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:35 am
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Starbucks

Post by damonhynes »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Nov 11, 2025 3:10 pm I can't remember if I noted it elsewhere, but these three new(ish) Gretna area Starbucks are open:

Starbucks (168th & Hwy 370)
11204 S 167th St
Gretna, NE 68028

Starbucks (inside Hy-Vee)
10855 191st Ave
Omaha, NE 68136

Starbucks (192nd & Hwy 370)
19407 Oakmont Dr
Gretna, NE 68028

Three Starbucks along the same 2.5 mile section of highway in the low density suburbs of western Sarpy County..
Low density but high net worth, and the target demographic.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2518
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: Starbucks

Post by ChadJK »

Starbucks at 120th & Fort is closing.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10822
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Starbucks

Post by iamjacobm »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 3:17 pm Starbucks at 120th & Fort is closing.
Supposed to be a couple hundred closing nationwide so were probably due for one or two locally.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110987
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Starbucks

Post by nebugeater »

WOWT is reporting that these four locations are closing

96th and L
122nd and Fort
Highway 370 and 195th in Gretna
72nd and Cornhusker in Papillion

https://www.wowt.com/2026/09/25/four-st ... se-sunday/
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110987
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Starbucks

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:23 pm WOWT is reporting that these four locations are closing

96th and L
122nd and Fort
Highway 370 and 195th in Gretna
72nd and Cornhusker in Papillion

https://www.wowt.com/2026/09/25/four-st ... se-sunday/
That one at Gretna Landing can't have been open much more than a year


EDIT
A Google search says 11/3/2025
https://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/Sto ... gDates.htm
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Starbucks

Post by BRoss »

I thought they just built the 96th & L location.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110987
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Starbucks

Post by nebugeater »

BRoss wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:40 pm I thought they just built the 96th & L location.
I just looked
The same list I referenced above says this location opened 2/23/2026
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110987
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Starbucks

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:23 pm WOWT is reporting that these four locations are closing

96th and L 2/23/26
122nd and Fort 5/5/25
Highway 370 and 195th in Gretna 11/3/25
72nd and Cornhusker in Papillion 2/3/25

https://www.wowt.com/2026/09/25/four-st ... se-sunday/
Open dates for all four of these have been added

Doesn't speak well for their market research for adding locations
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036616
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Starbucks

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:49 pm
nebugeater wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:23 pm WOWT is reporting that these four locations are closing

96th and L 2/23/26
122nd and Fort 5/5/25
Highway 370 and 195th in Gretna 11/3/25
72nd and Cornhusker in Papillion 2/3/25

https://www.wowt.com/2026/09/25/four-st ... se-sunday/
Open dates for all four of these have been added

Doesn't speak well for their market research for adding locations
I would also add that $7+ Coffee is harder to pull off when gas is $4+
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2518
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: Starbucks

Post by ChadJK »

Starbucks closing locations that have been open less than 2 year (or even less than a year) has become somewhat normal of late. The newness of a location doesn't offer it any protection from closure.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Starbucks

Post by djc311 »

It’s crazy - that 96th & L store is barely 6 months old and seemed to take over a year to build. And the one at 197th & HWY is relatively big for a Starbucks.

Funny how companies with billions to spend just don’t care (or should I say rather lose a few million than continue to lose more and more). The one on L St. I thought never made much sense. Crappy access and location. The one on HWY 370 could likely get quite busy as the retail expands… but I guess with the Hyvee to the east having one and possibility of Target coming in nearby, they’ll probably have one as well.
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Starbucks

Post by BRoss »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:49 pm
nebugeater wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:23 pm WOWT is reporting that these four locations are closing

96th and L 2/23/26
122nd and Fort 5/5/25
Highway 370 and 195th in Gretna 11/3/25
72nd and Cornhusker in Papillion 2/3/25

https://www.wowt.com/2026/09/25/four-st ... se-sunday/
Open dates for all four of these have been added

Doesn't speak well for their market research for adding locations
Wow, yeah less than 6 months really makes it look like their market research team is doing an awful job.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110987
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Starbucks

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 6:04 pm
nebugeater wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:49 pm
nebugeater wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:23 pm WOWT is reporting that these four locations are closing

96th and L 2/23/26
122nd and Fort 5/5/25
Highway 370 and 195th in Gretna 11/3/25
72nd and Cornhusker in Papillion 2/3/25

https://www.wowt.com/2026/09/25/four-st ... se-sunday/
Open dates for all four of these have been added

Doesn't speak well for their market research for adding locations
I would also add that $7+ Coffee is harder to pull off when gas is $4+
for me $7 plus coffee is crazy if gas were at $2 Save those $$ for a beer!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
BuildTaller
Home Owners Association
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2025 2:57 pm

Re: Starbucks

Post by BuildTaller »

Were these unionized locations?
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110987
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Starbucks

Post by nebugeater »

I never posted this even though I had planned to. The one that closed at Hwy 370 and 192 closed a week ago on Sunday, like all the local ones, I believe. Late Monday afternoon, I drove by, and the trucks were just leaving, and all the signs were off the building and lot, the menu board was gone, and all the windows I could see were papered over
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Starbucks

Post by djc311 »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 5:35 pm I never posted this even though I had planned to. The one that closed at Hwy 370 and 192 closed a week ago on Sunday, like all the local ones, I believe. Late Monday afternoon, I drove by, and the trucks were just leaving, and all the signs were off the building and lot, the menu board was gone, and all the windows I could see were papered over
Yep, those national chains that are otherwise still doing pretty well don't want people to easily notice when they fail. That store is so new that the exterior paint may not even be faded enough to read the signage. I live close by, but haven't bothered checking it out.

Hard to say what could take it over - I suppose some fast food concept. All the other coffee places (Scooters, 7 Brew, etc) seem to be focusing on drive-thru models only. That store appears to be pretty big from the outside.

My guess is that if CHI builds a hospital across from HyVee and if Lerner gets in some large chains (maybe a Target or Walmart, etc) it could do well. I imagine it's at least 5 years, maybe 10 years out from getting to that point.
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8179
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm

Re: Starbucks

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 6:04 pmI would also add that $7+ Coffee is harder to pull off when gas is $4+
Excluding rental cars and moving vans, I haven't spent $11 combined on gas and coffee in the last 15 years.
Stable genius.