Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
-
ModestMouse
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:00 am
- Yahoo Messenger: TheShootistCometh
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
I'm looking for a few lunch suggestions...
I will be in OMaha May 8th/9th may 8th for my orientation...and may 9th for academic advising plus I got ALOT of apartment showings to attend.
I want to take my roommate out somewhere kinda funky, kinda hip, kinda y'know, not midwestern.
The kid's from Decorah Iowa, (home of Luther College...) and within a pretty reasonable budget...(like for 2 somewhere under 30 dollars...if possible)
Any help is appreciated.
I will be in OMaha May 8th/9th may 8th for my orientation...and may 9th for academic advising plus I got ALOT of apartment showings to attend.
I want to take my roommate out somewhere kinda funky, kinda hip, kinda y'know, not midwestern.
The kid's from Decorah Iowa, (home of Luther College...) and within a pretty reasonable budget...(like for 2 somewhere under 30 dollars...if possible)
Any help is appreciated.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
McFoster's comes to mind. It's in Midtown and definantly not 'midwestern'. Some place along Underwood in Dundee would be good.
DTO
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
I love McFoster's.
Along the sam e lines Delice for lunch Downtown would also be a good place.
Along the sam e lines Delice for lunch Downtown would also be a good place.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm
- Location: Dundee
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
McFosters is like a vegetarian/free range animal psuedo-hippie place (38th and Farnam)
Travatos is italian (50th and Underwood)
Ellada is a small little Greek resturant (50th and Underwood)
Espana is a tappas place (60th and Maple, Benson)
Sushi Ichiban is on 84th and Dodge.
Travatos is italian (50th and Underwood)
Ellada is a small little Greek resturant (50th and Underwood)
Espana is a tappas place (60th and Maple, Benson)
Sushi Ichiban is on 84th and Dodge.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm
- Location: Dundee
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Pseudo-hippie huh? Why do you say that? I liver around her (not San Francisco) and go to these places all the time and IMO it is about the hippiest place we got around.
15-17, 26, 32
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Oh yes, I suppose it's probably one of the most hippieish places I've ever been too. But I mean if they were really hippies then they'd just be giving the food away.
It's just a cool cafe that is socially conscious.
It's just a cool cafe that is socially conscious.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm
- Location: Dundee
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
That’s what I though, I knew you had some self serving reason behind the remarks. Hey is South Park correct in saying people from San Francisco smell their farts?
15-17, 26, 32
-
omahastylee459
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1017
- Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:48 pm
- Location: Nashua, NH
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Anyone notice sushi ichiban is gone now, and a new restaurant is there. I believe it is another japanese restaurant, and it could even be the same restaurant under a different name, i havent had time to check it out to see what the deal isSushi Ichiban is on 84th and Dodge.
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
^Ya, it's been changed for some time now, atleast 3-5 months.
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
My girlfriend was just there over Christmas.
Hopefully it's the same resturant under a new name. Could someone inquire about this for me?
Hopefully it's the same resturant under a new name. Could someone inquire about this for me?
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036585
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
same peopleSwift wrote:My girlfriend was just there over Christmas.
Hopefully it's the same resturant under a new name. Could someone inquire about this for me?
still have sushi
still accept ichiban gift certificates
different name

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Yeah, I'm in there about once a week, and haven't noticed anyting but the sign on the outside has changed. It might even still ay Sushi Ichiban on the credit card receipt. I'll check next time I'm in.
-Big E
-Big E
Stable genius.
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Good! They have a soup there that my girlfriend has been unable to find at any other japanese resturant (and she's eaten at japanese resturants in nearly all of the major cities in America).
-
UNMCStudent
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 92
- Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:19 pm
- Location: Midtown
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
La Casa @ 45th and Leavenworth - best pizza you will ever have. And their tosted raviolis......(Insert Homer Simpson drooling on himself here)
-
UNMCStudent
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 92
- Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:19 pm
- Location: Midtown
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Oh - and the Dundee Dell is a good spot for some fish and chips and a pint of Guiness.
I still can't believe they got rid of their Peppersteak sandwich.....sure, it may have been 2500 calories....but damn was it good.
I still can't believe they got rid of their Peppersteak sandwich.....sure, it may have been 2500 calories....but damn was it good.
-
ModestMouse
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:00 am
- Yahoo Messenger: TheShootistCometh
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
um, we're 18. we can't drink beer.
I've been to sushi ichiban tons of times.
He also I don't think is ready to try sushi yet.
McFoster's would be too bad...
I might try that with him.
He's a pseduo-enviromentalist/hippie...I think he'd like it, fits in with him I guess.
He's into like jam bands like me...and everything.
I've been to sushi ichiban tons of times.
He also I don't think is ready to try sushi yet.
McFoster's would be too bad...
I might try that with him.
He's a pseduo-enviromentalist/hippie...I think he'd like it, fits in with him I guess.
He's into like jam bands like me...and everything.
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
You're 18? If you look old enough, try the Homy Inn...they rarely card. 
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm
- Location: Dundee
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
You just got to hit the places before the door man gets there and your home free.
15-17, 26, 32
-
Harpoon
- Human Relations
- Posts: 556
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:46 am
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Same owners, new name. Now called Sakura Bana.omahastylee459 wrote:Anyone notice sushi ichiban is gone now, and a new restaurant is there. I believe it is another japanese restaurant, and it could even be the same restaurant under a different name, i havent had time to check it out to see what the deal isSushi Ichiban is on 84th and Dodge.
-
ModestMouse
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:00 am
- Yahoo Messenger: TheShootistCometh
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Hmm...we now have no idea where we're going...
But meh, it'll come to us eventually
McFosters sound good.
But meh, it'll come to us eventually
McFosters sound good.
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Indigo Joes or Moe's on 74th and Dodge
Fuddrucker's 72nd and Dodge
Goldberg's Bar and Grill on 51st(?) and Dodge
Caniglia's on something and Pacific
Fuddrucker's 72nd and Dodge
Goldberg's Bar and Grill on 51st(?) and Dodge
Caniglia's on something and Pacific
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
McFosters is good. It's mostly vegetarian, but they do have a few meat dishes (they only buy free range animal products).
It's one of my favorite resturants (if not my absolute favorite). I'm going to eat there the first day I get back in town.
It's one of my favorite resturants (if not my absolute favorite). I'm going to eat there the first day I get back in town.
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Swift, are you moving back or just visiting? Will you be coming back in time for the forum meet?
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm
- Location: Dundee
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
ummmmmmmm........June 3rd? atleast unofficially. D'Shawn wants to push it back so I don't know. You're right, he is annoying. 
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
I ain't gonna attend that sausage fest.
But yeah, moving back.
But yeah, moving back.
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:39 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Something WAS 7th St. And I emphasize the WAS.adam186 wrote:Caniglia's on something and Pacific
Omaha Landmark Closes the Doors
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
--William Jennings Bryan
--William Jennings Bryan
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
I knew someone was going to pop in and say that. It's across the street from FDR in the Aksarben area, I drove by it yesterday.
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:39 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
That would be the Eli Caniglia's Venice Inn, not Caniglia's. Hence the confusion on my part.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
--William Jennings Bryan
--William Jennings Bryan
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Oh, okay. I was driving by pretty fast and thought Caniglia's and Venice Inn were seperate. Thanks for clearing that upicejammer wrote:That would be the Eli Caniglia's Venice Inn, not Caniglia's. Hence the confusion on my part.
-
Harpoon
- Human Relations
- Posts: 556
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:46 am
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Try the Crescent Moon. They have decent wings and a good selection of beers. It is across from the Blackstone.
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Wow, I never knew the served food there. I thought it was just a bar.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Jazz is another fun, inexpensive restaurant to try.
It is right downtown at 15th and Farnam. Cajun/Creole in menu and atmosphere. A lot of fun.
It is right downtown at 15th and Farnam. Cajun/Creole in menu and atmosphere. A lot of fun.
-
shengs75
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 119
- Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:18 pm
- Location: I'm west of 72nd, so I guess that's West Omaha.
Midtown/Downtown Restaurant Recommendations
Try Katie's if you like Greek food. 40th and Dodge.
Goldberg's is decent on Dodge.
Dundee Dell has the best 2-piece fish n chip.
If you like Chinese, there's a place on Saddle Creek, and a few other places.
Lo Sole Mio for Italian on 32nd St. 8 blocks south of Center.
Quite a few others depending on what you like.
Goldberg's is decent on Dodge.
Dundee Dell has the best 2-piece fish n chip.
If you like Chinese, there's a place on Saddle Creek, and a few other places.
Lo Sole Mio for Italian on 32nd St. 8 blocks south of Center.
Quite a few others depending on what you like.