Bright Eyes to do free gig.
-
omahahawk
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1187
- Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Hot of the press! Bright Eyes to perform free at Memorial Park this summer!
06/17/06
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1458&u_sid=2149338
06/17/06
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1458&u_sid=2149338
-
omahastylee459
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1017
- Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:48 pm
- Location: Nashua, NH
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
damn, i was hoping they would have another 311 show
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Gotta love the free stuff! Memorial Park continues to be used for free events, I love it!
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Fantastic!
Some of you may not realize it, but this is the kind of thing many people will travel long distances to Omaha to see. Great news, and I'll be there because I respect Conor Oberst.
Some of you may not realize it, but this is the kind of thing many people will travel long distances to Omaha to see. Great news, and I'll be there because I respect Conor Oberst.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
At least I don’t have to beg for a free ticket to this show from him. But I doubt we will have another Lincoln in the park maybe a couple Grand Islands.
15-17, 26, 32
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
I could care less about Conor Oberst. I see his picture every damn day. His dad works on the floor below me. I don't like his music and wouldn't be tempted to go for free.
DTO
-
Linkin5
- County Board
- Posts: 4885
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
hmmmmmmmmmmm i wonder who the opening act(s) will be.
-
OmahaJaysCU
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2191
- Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Yes, I love emo kids!
-
Locke
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 103
- Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:20 pm
- Location: Washington D.C. / Omaha
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Well, yes it is free but he may spit on you and storm off stage. Maybe he'll tell us we're all idiots like he did to a Texas crowd for simply being from Texas!
Just kidding, every Bright Eyes show I've been to has been great! Not 1/9129182918291829th as good as a live show as the Faint (insofar as they are "live") but good nonetheless.
Just kidding, every Bright Eyes show I've been to has been great! Not 1/9129182918291829th as good as a live show as the Faint (insofar as they are "live") but good nonetheless.
-
OmahaJaysCU
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2191
- Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
I thought bright eyes show when they played at the MAC with the faint was pretty weak. I saw a lot of people leaving when Bright Eyes came on. I guess they got too tired from the faint. Hey here's an idea, have the faint play with bright eyes at this concert!
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Oh my god...A Faint dance party in Memorial Park would be....inescapably heroic.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Oh my god...A Faint dance party in Memorial Park would be....inescapably heroic.
And really |expletive| weird.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Now this is a gig I can actually attend!..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
see you thereOmaha Cowboy wrote:Now this is a gig I can actually attend!..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
15-17, 26, 32
-
omahastylee459
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1017
- Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:48 pm
- Location: Nashua, NH
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
I was one of those leaving after a couple bright eyes songs. The faint was absolutely amazing, but bright eyes was horrible. I think conor was too drunk to realize that the music he was playing sounded awful...i wonder if he will pull another one of those at memorialOmahaJaysCU wrote:I thought bright eyes show when they played at the MAC with the faint was pretty weak. I saw a lot of people leaving when Bright Eyes came on. I guess they got too tired from the faint. Hey here's an idea, have the faint play with bright eyes at this concert!
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Mmmmmm i bet he wont be drunk for this show, i remember the mayor making 311 keep it pg13..... 
15-17, 26, 32
-
OmahaJaysCU
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2191
- Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Yea, after Connor Oberst walked off stage to throw up i was out of there. There were plenty with me to.omahastylee459 wrote:I was one of those leaving after a couple bright eyes songs. The faint was absolutely amazing, but bright eyes was horrible. I think conor was too drunk to realize that the music he was playing sounded awful...i wonder if he will pull another one of those at memorialOmahaJaysCU wrote:I thought bright eyes show when they played at the MAC with the faint was pretty weak. I saw a lot of people leaving when Bright Eyes came on. I guess they got too tired from the faint. Hey here's an idea, have the faint play with bright eyes at this concert!
-
Locke
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 103
- Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:20 pm
- Location: Washington D.C. / Omaha
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Last time I saw Bright Eyes he was so |expletive| up on whatever he taking that my girlfriend, who was seeing him for the first time, turned to me and said, in all seriousness "I think he's going to die in front of us." He kept babbling incoherently and struggling to stand up.
One of these days he might just keel over.

One of these days he might just keel over.
Oh yeah!Oh my god...A Faint dance party in Memorial Park would be....inescapably heroic.
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Is this normal for Oberst? And should we expect it at the free concert?
See MTO, drugs don't make creativity...it kills.
back on topic...
See MTO, drugs don't make creativity...it kills.
back on topic...
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
-
w8ing
- Human Relations
- Posts: 674
- Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 4:32 pm
- Location: Twin Cities
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Well, how was the show? Did anyone go? Did the rain chase people away? I couldn't believe those clouds.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
From the Sunday W-H:w8ing wrote:Well, how was the show? Did anyone go? Did the rain chase people away? I couldn't believe those clouds.
'The rain was heavy and the crowd wasn't gigantic, but homegrown indie rocker Conor Oberst and his Bright Eyes bandmates rocked out Saturday night before thousands of soaked fans at Memorial Park.
Oberst's group took the stage about 8:10 p.m. It started pouring about five minutes later, continuing for about 45 minutes.
Toward the end of the show, Oberst made political comments, even though he said the city had encouraged him not to.
He said President Bush was an "idiot," and he condemned the Nebraska Legislature for approving a plan to split the Omaha Public Schools into three districts, one mostly white and two mostly minority.
"We have to get together as a city," Oberst said. "I will move out of this city if that's what it's going to be like."
A spokesman for the mayor estimated the crowd at more than 15,000 people at 8:30 p.m. Less than two hours earlier, Fahey said there were 8,000 to 10,000 at the park.'
The complete W-H piece link (including a photo gallary):
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1458&u_sid=2191102
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Asten
- Human Relations
- Posts: 689
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
- Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
This guy can leave, and good riddance. Politics and entertainment shouldn't be mixed like this. He is immature and ill-informed.Omaha Cowboy wrote:He said President Bush was an "idiot," and he condemned the Nebraska Legislature for approving a plan to split the Omaha Public Schools into three districts, one mostly white and two mostly minority.w8ing wrote:Well, how was the show? Did anyone go? Did the rain chase people away? I couldn't believe those clouds.
"We have to get together as a city," Oberst said. "I will move out of this city if that's what it's going to be like."
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
I went and it was, oddly, one of the best shows I've ever seen.
-
Raraavis
- Library Board
- Posts: 313
- Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:36 pm
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
He feels so strongly about this issue because of all the underprivileged minority kids he bonded with while attending Creighton Prep.he condemned the Nebraska Legislature for approving a plan to split the Omaha Public Schools into three districts, one mostly white and two mostly minority.
"We have to get together as a city," Oberst said. "I will move out of this city if that's what it's going to be like."
This is just more of the typical limousine liberal hypocrisy. Connor please shut up and sing already.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Although I think he should be a little more professional. I will put it all aside since watching your friend perform always makes you in favor of the shows. I'm sure you all wouldn't be soo pissy about it if you where not NRA, NASCAR, republicans yourself.
15-17, 26, 32
-
ItsAllAboutMe
- Human Relations
- Posts: 962
- Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
All is said is GW is an Idiot. I thought he was being kind
-
w8ing
- Human Relations
- Posts: 674
- Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 4:32 pm
- Location: Twin Cities
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Oberst has a right to his opinion like anyone else. He doesn't need to shut up just because his job is as an entertainer.
Dang, MTO you weren't nearly so supportive in our Dixie Chicks discussion. Maybe if they'd been friends of yours...
Jesting aside, I'm in favor of the beaurocracy that is OPS being split up and I've nothing to do with the NRA, NASCAR, or Republican party. Frankly I can't figure out how Democrats (which I'm not affliliated with either) determined it is a bad thing for minorities to have more control over their own neighborhood schools. Seems like some people didn't want their own power usurped and decided to deflect that by calling it a segregation issue.
As a result, it becomes an insideous race issue. "You just let us take care of you, dear minorities because you can't take care of yourself. We know what's best for you. Wouldn't you rather be a minority in our big district with little to no control over your area schools than a majority in your own district dictating what is best for your area students? Because let's face it dear minorities, we're smarter and we know what's best for you. Just let us take care of you." That's the underlying message.
Far more obnoxious than Oberst's comments (which don't strike me as particularly obnoxious) was a news segment yesterday afternoon interviewing a veteran who didn't think Oberst should be allowed to play at Memorial Park because of his political leanings. The veteran thought he was unpatriotic and it was offensive of soldiers who died. I find it odd when people forget that soldiers defend all Americans' rights, not just the rights of those who want to wave a flag and say hail to the chief.
Dang, MTO you weren't nearly so supportive in our Dixie Chicks discussion. Maybe if they'd been friends of yours...
Jesting aside, I'm in favor of the beaurocracy that is OPS being split up and I've nothing to do with the NRA, NASCAR, or Republican party. Frankly I can't figure out how Democrats (which I'm not affliliated with either) determined it is a bad thing for minorities to have more control over their own neighborhood schools. Seems like some people didn't want their own power usurped and decided to deflect that by calling it a segregation issue.
As a result, it becomes an insideous race issue. "You just let us take care of you, dear minorities because you can't take care of yourself. We know what's best for you. Wouldn't you rather be a minority in our big district with little to no control over your area schools than a majority in your own district dictating what is best for your area students? Because let's face it dear minorities, we're smarter and we know what's best for you. Just let us take care of you." That's the underlying message.
Far more obnoxious than Oberst's comments (which don't strike me as particularly obnoxious) was a news segment yesterday afternoon interviewing a veteran who didn't think Oberst should be allowed to play at Memorial Park because of his political leanings. The veteran thought he was unpatriotic and it was offensive of soldiers who died. I find it odd when people forget that soldiers defend all Americans' rights, not just the rights of those who want to wave a flag and say hail to the chief.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Well I suppose a lot has to do with defending a friend that yes we do share viewpoint. But I am not exactly a democrat but I HATE the republicans so...
15-17, 26, 32
-
Finn
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1387
- Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:54 pm
- Location: DC
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Politics and music don't mix? They have had a relationship since before punk brought it to the forefront. Let musicians say what they want, if you don't like it - don't listen, don't go to the show, don't buy the album. Pretty simple.
Actually, Oberst seems pretty well informed - and insightful in his lyrics.
Actually, Oberst seems pretty well informed - and insightful in his lyrics.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Agreed..Look at U2's Bono as a longtime example of this..Finn wrote:Politics and music don't mix? They have had a relationship since before punk brought it to the forefront.
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Yeah I was going to say the same ^. He really isn't no punk when to comes to the topic to say the least. He was lying when he said he would leave if the OPS split actually happens but heck I feel just about the same.
15-17, 26, 32
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
Hey Jake-
How long have you known Oberst?..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
How long have you known Oberst?..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
How long?..Grade school? High school??..
Explain and elaborate if you would (I'm just curious)..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Explain and elaborate if you would (I'm just curious)..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
The brothers lounge. Don't wanna go into all the other stuff like knowing Nancy and other ties etc. to much typing. Why you want an autograph? I can get you Jake's autograph too. Cori knows him better they went to hi-school together and the Bros.
15-17, 26, 32
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
An autograph?
..
Naw. I was just curious since you stated in an earlier post that he was a friend of yours..
That's all..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Naw. I was just curious since you stated in an earlier post that he was a friend of yours..
That's all..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
If they were complaining about the crowd being smaller then expected, oh well. Everytime I've heard his music I think to myself,"Why is this popular?" He makes John Mayer look like Slayer. I bet the crowd looked like the hippy jam from South Park. 
DTO
-
omahahawk
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1187
- Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
I have to admit, I really didn't like Bright Eyes before I went to this show, but having the easy oppurtunity to see them for free, I went. We stayed for about an hour into the rainstorm and I gotta say, it was a lot better than I thought. Maybe it was the atmosphere or the way his music comes across live but I thought he sounded really good. There was this cool light that came across the park when it started raining out of the fractured sunlight that really lent itself well to the whole mood. I didn't mind getting soaked and neither did most of the other audience members. Both the band and the crowd just pressed on. Kind of gave it what I liken to a Woodstock or early U2 at Redrocks kind of vibe (though I was at neither, just my 2 cents). And although I didn't stick around long enough to hear him dis on the Prez or the OPS split, I thought his comments about Omaha getting a public rail transit were great.
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Bright Eyes to do free gig.
The show was amazing. Bright Eyes is so much better live now then they/he used to be...I think in large part because I heard Conor stopped drinking.
