Omaha Area Amusement Park?
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
I'm glad someone else rememebers those slides near 72nd and I-80. I remember going there as a kid and they also had a pony ride thing there too. I asked my mom about this awhile back and she thought I was talking about some place at Aksarben but I was pretty sure that wasn't the place.
DTO
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
Tully’s is the |expletive|, I can go down there and play with the puppys for hours I’ve even taken out-of-towners there.
Could it have been Underdogs or Topdog or Moby dick?
Could it have been Underdogs or Topdog or Moby dick?
-
omahastylee459
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1017
- Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:48 pm
- Location: Nashua, NH
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
didnt someone die there or something and that was one of the reasons why it closed? that could have just been a rumor or my imagination
-
Asten
- Human Relations
- Posts: 689
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
- Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
I-80 and 72nd was Moby Dick's - and then there was another place on Cornhusker Road - I wanna say Topdogs, yes... Many a good time spent at both of those as a kidpkiphd wrote:Tully’s is the |expletive|, I can go down there and play with the puppys for hours I’ve even taken out-of-towners there.
Could it have been Underdogs or Topdog or Moby dick?
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3273
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
Again I'll point out though, KM3 is always last in the ratings in Omaha and mostly appeals to the old fogey crowd. I think their largest audience category is the 60+ crowd. Plus, as someone mentioned earlier, he probably takes the controversial side in order to get better ratings.DTO Luv wrote:Tonight in Travis out of everyone only 2 people aggreed with Trav. One guy said he didn't think we had the populationor the climate to have an amusement park. The other didn't think we should give tax incentieves. Trav really poured on the fat |expletive| sauce when he said it would be better to have casinos than an amusement park.
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
You'd almost think they were near bankruptcy or something with the way they've eliminated dedicated sports coverage... have no 6pm news telecast... and apparently feel the need to run daytime hour long infomercials.
But enough of KMTV.
But enough of KMTV.
-
Ingersoll1978
- Library Board
- Posts: 490
- Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 5:27 pm
- Location: Des Moines
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
KMTV doesn't have 6 PM news? They are CBS right?
-
jborg
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 19
- Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:40 am
- Location: Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
Top Dogs was the name of the park I was thinking about. I don't know why we always called it funworld. I had a lot of good childhood memories their, but had no idea where it was located.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106374
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
Yep, they are CBS but a number of months ago they preempted their own 6pm news for Access Hollywood or something worthless like that.Ingersoll1978 wrote:KMTV doesn't have 6 PM news? They are CBS right?
-
michaelsjewel
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:04 pm
- Location: Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
i cannot wait for an amusement park to be built around here
maybe i'll ride a rollercoaster sometime 
-
POTUS
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 119
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:25 pm
- Location: UNL
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
Please, I beg of you, stop going to Tully's. They have sick puppies. They are buyers from puppy mills. They had to kill a couple hundred puppies there a few months back due to bordetella (contagious respiratory disease spread in dogs.) Additionally, their boarding practices are iffy, at best. I'm not just saying that because I work for their competitors (see my signature), but because it's true.pkiphd wrote:Tully’s is the |expletive|, I can go down there and play with the puppys for hours I’ve even taken out-of-towners there.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
What has theme park developer Steve Minard been up to?..
Check this piece dated 07/29/06 from the Wheeling (WV) Intelligencer:
'Instead of the same, tired old ideas found at many other locations, Upper Ohio Valley residents will experience “a theme park for the 21st century” at The Highlands, Wild Escape Theme Park developer Steve Minard said Friday.
Minard, president of Crystal Mountain West Virginia LLC and Wild Escape Theme Park, is scheduled to make his first public appearance at an Aug. 10 news conference at the City-County Building in Wheeling.
With some industry insiders questioning the feasibility of a theme park in the area, Minard, who is based in Omaha, Neb., said Wild Escape will be a “different offering.”
“It is not like a usual, seasonal ride park,” Minard said.
The park will offer concerts, different musical acts, fine dining, celebrity appearances, seasonal festivals and “world’s first” thrill rides.
“It’s a theme park for the 21st century, a full entertainment destination,” he said.
Minard said with The Highlands attraction, the “Wild Escape” brand of parks will be “launched.”
The company will be planning theme parks across the country with a second project being built near Omaha, pending legislative approval.
“Ohio County was able to move ahead fast,” Minard said, adding his company found the location through Cabela’s. While not officially affiliated with Cabela’s, Minard’s company does have friends in Cabela’s Distribution Group.
“Cabela’s brought 4 million visitors in its first year,” he said.'..
The complete story link:
http://www.theintelligencer.net/article ... cleID=8870
Hmmm. Very interesting. Especially Minard's comment of his next park project being constructed 'near Omaha'..He should have said near Cabela's
..
It's funny what info you can find surfing on the internet..From Wheeling WV no less..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
'Instead of the same, tired old ideas found at many other locations, Upper Ohio Valley residents will experience “a theme park for the 21st century” at The Highlands, Wild Escape Theme Park developer Steve Minard said Friday.
Minard, president of Crystal Mountain West Virginia LLC and Wild Escape Theme Park, is scheduled to make his first public appearance at an Aug. 10 news conference at the City-County Building in Wheeling.
With some industry insiders questioning the feasibility of a theme park in the area, Minard, who is based in Omaha, Neb., said Wild Escape will be a “different offering.”
“It is not like a usual, seasonal ride park,” Minard said.
The park will offer concerts, different musical acts, fine dining, celebrity appearances, seasonal festivals and “world’s first” thrill rides.
“It’s a theme park for the 21st century, a full entertainment destination,” he said.
Minard said with The Highlands attraction, the “Wild Escape” brand of parks will be “launched.”
The company will be planning theme parks across the country with a second project being built near Omaha, pending legislative approval.
“Ohio County was able to move ahead fast,” Minard said, adding his company found the location through Cabela’s. While not officially affiliated with Cabela’s, Minard’s company does have friends in Cabela’s Distribution Group.
“Cabela’s brought 4 million visitors in its first year,” he said.'..
The complete story link:
http://www.theintelligencer.net/article ... cleID=8870
Hmmm. Very interesting. Especially Minard's comment of his next park project being constructed 'near Omaha'..He should have said near Cabela's
It's funny what info you can find surfing on the internet..From Wheeling WV no less..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
Oh my gosh. You've got to be kidding me. Someone should do the people of West Virginia a favor and warn them not to get their hopes up and count on Minard. He can't follow through.
And why...THE heck...doesn't Omaha have a great amusement park by now...???????
And why...THE heck...doesn't Omaha have a great amusement park by now...???????
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
That's the $100,000 question Aaron..
And as it relates to Minard, I understand he is a nice person and well intended, you've pretty much conveyed the feelings most of us have as it relates to the follow through of his theme park concepts..
We'll see what happens in WV..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
And as it relates to Minard, I understand he is a nice person and well intended, you've pretty much conveyed the feelings most of us have as it relates to the follow through of his theme park concepts..
We'll see what happens in WV..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
joeglow
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2645
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
This made me think of the traveling monorail salesman on the Simpsons.
Do you see a similarity?:
http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/develop/3/pic1.jpg
http://cmwv.wildescape.com/index_files/Page350.htm
A couple other similar web-sites:
http://www.portnebraska.com/
http://www.wildescape.com/
Do you see a similarity?:
http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/develop/3/pic1.jpg
http://cmwv.wildescape.com/index_files/Page350.htm
A couple other similar web-sites:
http://www.portnebraska.com/
http://www.wildescape.com/
-
ModestMouse
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:00 pm
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
rather we got a six flags...
cause six flags is bad |expletive|.
cause six flags is bad |expletive|.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
The problem is, Six Flags wont look at a city unless it's metro population is well over 2 million..So that, unfortunately, leaves Omaha out..ModestMouse wrote:rather we got a six flags...
But I do think a high quality version of Worlds of Fun is very doable for Omaha..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
It seems that Minard has a pretty good idea and could probably make it work. It's our government that is holding him back in this state. Thanks Nebraska. 
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
I don't think so, he's just looking for the right combination of funding and handouts.our government that is holding him back in this state. Thanks Nebraska.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
--William Jennings Bryan
--William Jennings Bryan
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
From the article:icejammer wrote:I don't think so, he's just looking for the right combination of funding and handouts.our government that is holding him back in this state. Thanks Nebraska.
"The company will be planning theme parks across the country with a second project being built near Omaha, pending legislative approval."
-
joeglow
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2645
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
-And if you remember correctly, that approval basically involves handouts.adam186 wrote:From the article:icejammer wrote:I don't think so, he's just looking for the right combination of funding and handouts.our government that is holding him back in this state. Thanks Nebraska.
"The company will be planning theme parks across the country with a second project being built near Omaha, pending legislative approval."
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
^Okay, what's your point? The state is still holding him back, are they not?
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
The lack of a profitable operation that needs government handout to make it financially feasible is what is holding him back. Tell Minard to come up with a better business plan, rather than putting his operating costs on the shoulders of the taxpayers.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
--William Jennings Bryan
--William Jennings Bryan
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
I have an idea for an new 70-story building DT. I just want everyone else to foot the bill and I'll rake in the dough.
That's as far fetched as what Minard wants.
That's as far fetched as what Minard wants.
DTO
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
Or development incentives?joeglow wrote:And if you remember correctly, that approval basically involves handouts.
Are you referring to the state legislation to drive development with incentives (ie, the ones that did not go to Cabella's; I forget the LB# off the top of my head). You could just as easily lump TIFs into that category, without which there would be almost no development downtown in the last ten years (except, of course, for all that stuff inspired by the ConAgra Fountain. ;))
-Big E
Stable genius.
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
Exactly. DTO, that was a very misleading statment. If you guys are this upset about Minard trying to get incentives for his park, I'm suprised you guys weren't upset about the $20 million recently passed in TIF's for those 4 hotels.Big E wrote:You could just as easily lump TIFs into that category, without which there would be almost no development downtown in the last ten years.
-
joeglow
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2645
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
-And that damn state is holding me back because they won't give me free handouts.adam186 wrote:^Okay, what's your point? The state is still holding him back, are they not?
-
joeglow
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2645
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
-It has nothing to do with not giving him financing. It has EVERYTHING to do with a crappy business plan. Here was a guy promising a waterpark, amusement park, sports arenas and MUCH more, all to be completed in a couple weeks construction time.adam186 wrote:Exactly. DTO, that was a very misleading statment. If you guys are this upset about Minard trying to get incentives for his park, I'm suprised you guys weren't upset about the $20 million recently passed in TIF's for those 4 hotels.Big E wrote:You could just as easily lump TIFs into that category, without which there would be almost no development downtown in the last ten years.
While I rarely feel this way, I am proud of our government's ability to spot a con man with flat out unreasonable wishes.
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
Why is it that you republicans are for tax breaks when they go to the rich, but not when they actually spur development?
Tax-incentives (i.e. "handouts"
) help interest more investors. An amusement park is in no way a safe investment, regardless of how good your business model is, and a little nudge from the government can usually help get riskier investments rolling.
Now I'm not saying that Minard doesn't come across, sometimes, as a little shady. "There's trouble, right here in River City!"
I think the rest of the Nebraska is just upset that they never have any fun so they don't want Lincoln and Omaha to have fun either. Well screw them, we're already having fun! *puts pants on head*
Tax-incentives (i.e. "handouts"
Now I'm not saying that Minard doesn't come across, sometimes, as a little shady. "There's trouble, right here in River City!"
I think the rest of the Nebraska is just upset that they never have any fun so they don't want Lincoln and Omaha to have fun either. Well screw them, we're already having fun! *puts pants on head*
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
I strongly suggest we take political affiliation out of this discussion..
Just continue to discuss the elements of Minard's concepts and remain on topic..
Thanks..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Just continue to discuss the elements of Minard's concepts and remain on topic..
Thanks..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
I love Minard's concept, I really think it can work. Dare I say, 'take off'.
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
The good natured ribbing on my part will cease.Omaha Cowboy wrote:I strongly suggest we take political affiliation out of this discussion..
Just continue to discuss the elements of Minard's concepts and remain on topic..
Thanks..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
Speaking of a potential theme amusement park for Omaha..That corridor around to Cabela's would look to be a prime spot..As I recall, in the recent history of Minard's attempts to bring this entertainment option to Omaha, he originally wanted the area around the S Omaha bridge..When that fell through, he looked at Council Bluffs..When that fell through..
It appears now he's looking at the Cabela's corridor area..
Can anyone recall any other area around Omaha that Minard was looking at?..
Again, the concensus on the street is-Minard's a nice guy, but he really dosen't have the money to achieve his theme park vision..
I wish him the best..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
It appears now he's looking at the Cabela's corridor area..
Can anyone recall any other area around Omaha that Minard was looking at?..
Again, the concensus on the street is-Minard's a nice guy, but he really dosen't have the money to achieve his theme park vision..
I wish him the best..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
joeglow
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2645
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
I think Omaha can support an amusement park (albeit, I think it should be more of an Adventureland at first). I support some government supported financing for it. However, something about this guy came across as odd. He truly reminded me of Lyle Lainly from the Simpsons.
-
Hawkeye
- Library Board
- Posts: 256
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:58 pm
- Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
If Ol' Hawkeye remembers correctly, his first vision was for a plot of land north of Abbott Drive between the Airport and DT...and there were concerns about the height of some of the rides and whatnot due to the restrictions from Eppley. Someone jump in if this is incorrect.Omaha Cowboy wrote:Speaking of a potential theme amusement park for Omaha..That corridor around to Cabela's would look to be a prime spot..As I recall, in the recent history of Minard's attempts to bring this entertainment option to Omaha, he originally wanted the area around the S Omaha bridge..When that fell through, he looked at Council Bluffs..When that fell through..
It appears now he's looking at the Cabela's corridor area..
Can anyone recall any other area around Omaha that Minard was looking at?..
Again, the concensus on the street is-Minard's a nice guy, but he really dosen't have the money to achieve his theme park vision..
I wish him the best..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
You know Hawkeye..After I make my last thread post here, I too remembered something about Minard wanting to potentially place the park between the airport and downtown Omaha..I think we even discussed that plan almost 5 years ago on the old Chamber forum..
Time flys..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Time flys..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
That would be the best option. Then Omaha could make the money off of it.
DTO
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
Yeah D'Shawn and I have talked about an amusement park in the area behind hotshops, east of 16th, going towards Carter Lake. I know the area has alot of industrial and old train yard stuff, but the location would be SWEET for a park in there.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Omaha Area Amusement Park?
Agreed!..the1wags wrote:Yeah D'Shawn and I have talked about an amusement park in the area behind hotshops, east of 16th, going towards Carter Lake. I know the area has alot of industrial and old train yard stuff, but the location would be SWEET for a park in there.
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
MadScientist
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:52 pm
- Location: Omaha
Theme park targets year-round niche
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 65606.html
Looks like it's one step further to reality in West Virginia. With a Cabela's in Sarpy County, maybe it's not that far fetched afterall...
Looks like it's one step further to reality in West Virginia. With a Cabela's in Sarpy County, maybe it's not that far fetched afterall...