New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:16 pm
I wasn't sure where to post this, so perhaps you'll move it, but does anyone have any info about the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse that's s'posed to be going in downtown? Like, when it will happen (their website had no info)? Thanx!
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
IS this new news or have I totally missed this announcement? This is a great place, been there at a few other places. IT would be a good addition to downtown.
I know Ruth's Chris has been mentioned here before but I do not remember it in the context of coming to Omaha and I didn't find anything that referred t o that in a search.
By the way, any news on the Chop House ( I think that is the name) that was coming into DT.?
I know Ruth's Chris has been mentioned here before but I do not remember it in the context of coming to Omaha and I didn't find anything that referred t o that in a search.
By the way, any news on the Chop House ( I think that is the name) that was coming into DT.?
Human Relations
Posts: 674
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Twin Cities
Never been there. Doubt that my budget could handle it. I hear it is good but it is the most awful name for a business I can imagine. The alliterative flow isn't happening.
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
I've eaten at a Ruth's Chris in Atlanta..And it is very much like Flemmings Steakhouse in Regency..Everything a la carte and high end on the price scale..Excellent food though..Just be ready to spend triple digits+ when your bill arrives
IF Omaha were to land a Ruth's Chris, that would be yet another great 'get'..
I'll move this one into the Rumors section for further discussion....
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
IF Omaha were to land a Ruth's Chris, that would be yet another great 'get'..
I'll move this one into the Rumors section for further discussion....
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
I couldn't find anything about Ruth's Chris opening - but it appears they are coming:
16 new restaurants join the Clayton dining sceneSt. Louis Bizjournal wrote:Larry Griggers is a partner in Missouri-based Bacchus LLC, and his franchisee group acquired the St. Louis territory and chose Clayton in which to open the first of two Ruth's Chris Steakhouses.
"We did our demographic research and decided that Clayton will be our first choice," said Griggers. His group invested $4 million in this project, owns two Ruth's Chris restaurants in Indianapolis and is looking to acquire the territory that includes Omaha, Neb.
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
Nice find Coyote..
Like the Cheesecake Factory, this may take awhile..But it'll be worth the wait..Lets hope this Potential Ruth's Chris becomes a reality..It would most likely be a place I'd only dine at twice a year, but as I stated before, it would be another on a long list of great 'gets' for Omaha
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Like the Cheesecake Factory, this may take awhile..But it'll be worth the wait..Lets hope this Potential Ruth's Chris becomes a reality..It would most likely be a place I'd only dine at twice a year, but as I stated before, it would be another on a long list of great 'gets' for Omaha
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Human Relations
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:46 pm
Omaha Prime will suit me just fine, I'd stay away from Ruth's Chris.Omaha Cowboy wrote:Nice find Coyote..
Like the Cheesecake Factory, this may take awhile..But it'll be worth the wait..Lets hope this Potential Ruth's Chris becomes a reality..It would most likely be a place I'd only dine at twice a year, but as I stated before, it would be another on a long list of great 'gets' for Omaha
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
I do like Omaha Prime..But Ruth's Chris also has great steaks..Seasoned (at least to me) in a uniquely different way than some of the local traditional Omaha chop houses..
If Omaha lands one, it's worth a visit or 2..I think you'd like it..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
If Omaha lands one, it's worth a visit or 2..I think you'd like it..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
A few weeks ago we went to Johnny's Itilian Steakhouse in VP Their special was a 22oz bone in ribeye aged 21 days. It was so damn good.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
I haven't been to Johnny's Italian Steakhouse at VP yet..That ribeye sounds terrific..Brad wrote:A few weeks ago we went to Johnny's Itilian Steakhouse in VP Their special was a 22oz bone in ribeye aged 21 days. It was so damn good.
.Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 3:18 am
Location: Olathe, KS
Ruth's Chris did well in KC. KC, like Omaha was a city with many iconic local steak houses, a city famous for its beef. Surprisingly, it did well in The Plaza. I am sure the same for Omaha.
I used to eat at the one in Dallas on Cedar Springs all the time, it was almost in the parking lot of the church I attended there.
Great place.
I used to eat at the one in Dallas on Cedar Springs all the time, it was almost in the parking lot of the church I attended there.
Great place.
Ich Bin Ein Omahan !
Planning Board
Posts: 2645
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm
Ruth's Chris is really good (on par with Flemmings or The Palm). However I think Mahogany is a LOT better.
Additionally, if you are in KC, I would recommend the Hereford House before any other steakhouses.
Additionally, if you are in KC, I would recommend the Hereford House before any other steakhouses.
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:16 pm
hey w8ing, I totally agree about the name. In fact, that name has bothered me for YEARS! Someone told me that ---the story goes---there was a Chris' Steakhouse that was bought by a woman named Ruth, who changed it to "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse". How dumb is that? It's probably not even true.
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
Ruth FertelWikipedia wrote:In 1965 Ruth Fertel spotted an ad in the New Orleans Times-Picayune regarding a “Steak House for Sale.” She mortgaged her house to purchase Chris Steak House, the little restaurant on the corner of Broad and Ursuline in New Orleans.
In September, 1965, the city of New Orleans was ravaged by Hurricane Betsy just a few months after Fertel purchased Chris Steak House. The restaurant was left without power, so she cooked everything in the cooler and brought it to her brother in devastated Plaquemines Parish to aid in the relief effort.
In 1976, the thriving restaurant was destroyed in a kitchen fire. Fertel bought a new property a few blocks away on Broad Street and soon opened under a new name, "Ruth’s Chris Steak House", since her original contract with former owner Chris Matulich precluded her from using the name Chris Steak House in a different location.
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
I don't know if it's dumb or not..But It is true..The story from the Ruth's Chris website:Twilight wrote:hey w8ing, I totally agree about the name. In fact, that name has bothered me for YEARS! Someone told me that ---the story goes---there was a Chris' Steakhouse that was bought by a woman named Ruth, who changed it to "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse". How dumb is that? It's probably not even true.
http://www.ruthschris.com/sizzle/ruths_story2.html
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
Also from Wikipedia:
Ruth's Chris Steak HouseThe chain was founded by Ruth Fertel, a single mother of two, in 1965, after she bought the existing Chris Steak House in New Orleans. In buying the restaurant, Fertel had to agree that the restaurant keep the "Chris" name for a specified period of time. After the original establishment burned down, she relocated and renamed the rebuilt establishment "Ruth's Chris" (under her purchase agreement, the name Chris Steak House could not be used at any other location, and she did not want to lose customers already familiar with the Chris name).
Fertel started to franchise the restaurant in the 1970s. By the time Fertel was legally allowed to take Chris out of the name, the chain (and its unique name) had become famous in many places across the country, and she therefore decided to keep the name.
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:44 pm
nebugeater...look for the Chop House at the Paxton to be opening in October.
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
The Cryptic Rumor Department has learned that Ruth's Chris may replace Nick and Tony's at the Hilton Garden Inn on 10th st DT..
Keep an eye out for this one..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Keep an eye out for this one..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Home Owners Association
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:43 pm
I liked Nick and Tony's. The few times I've eaten there.
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1387
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:54 pm
Location: DC
I heard that Ruth's Chris was looking at Omaha about a year and a half ago and they were rumored to be looking at the Brandeis Building. I'm glad to hear they may still be interested in opening in Omaha.
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: The Big O
These things are always subjective and I have only eaten at a Ruth's Cris Steak House once. It was the Minneapolis location. Maybe it was just a bad night. Maybe I just don't know good food. Maybe I somehow upset off the cook. BUT..... that was the worst piece of meat I have ever eaten, no strike that, tried to eat. I couldn't choke it down.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
trust me--
Ruth Chris' isn't all that. I live in the D.C. area and there are several stores in the area (I'm also in the business). The locals don't go there--it's mostly tourists and people here on
business. RC's has been cited several times by local health departments for, among other things, rodents. Omaha has much better home grown places for steak and other types of cusine. You all should be proud of your restaurants--you have some real gems, and should be supporting them over these lackluster glitzy chains that some of you are so taken with.
I've seen all of the "high end" chain restaurants that you lust after lose their glow after the hype wears off (p.f. changs, Cheesecake factory, et. al.), and let's face it, California Pizza Kitchen has lousy pizza(they're currently closing them here one by one);I'd much rather have a pizza from one of the many great pizza places in Omaha(is La Casa still around?). The other problem with the chains is their knack for driving good local restaurants out of business. Don't fall for the marketing drivel of these corporate theme restaurants---they mark up their prices and people actually think they're getting their money's worth. Believe me, you will get a much better meal at Brother Sebastian's or Johnny's than you ever will at RC's, and at one-third the price.
rocon
Ruth Chris' isn't all that. I live in the D.C. area and there are several stores in the area (I'm also in the business). The locals don't go there--it's mostly tourists and people here on
business. RC's has been cited several times by local health departments for, among other things, rodents. Omaha has much better home grown places for steak and other types of cusine. You all should be proud of your restaurants--you have some real gems, and should be supporting them over these lackluster glitzy chains that some of you are so taken with.
I've seen all of the "high end" chain restaurants that you lust after lose their glow after the hype wears off (p.f. changs, Cheesecake factory, et. al.), and let's face it, California Pizza Kitchen has lousy pizza(they're currently closing them here one by one);I'd much rather have a pizza from one of the many great pizza places in Omaha(is La Casa still around?). The other problem with the chains is their knack for driving good local restaurants out of business. Don't fall for the marketing drivel of these corporate theme restaurants---they mark up their prices and people actually think they're getting their money's worth. Believe me, you will get a much better meal at Brother Sebastian's or Johnny's than you ever will at RC's, and at one-third the price.
rocon
I overheard a west coast visitor, here for the NCAA Tournament, say, "People in Omaha don't realize how good they have it." This was in reference to our restaurants, and especially steak.
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Bennington
Maybe they were really from Ord. 
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Planning Board
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: NYC
Rocon is right. I try to only eat at locally owned resturants.
In fact, I try to only buy only locally and semi-locally brewed beers and wines (Empyrean Ales, Upstream, Jobber's Canyon...O'Conner's in the Old Market brews some of their own beers, and then things from farther away like New Belgium beers brewed in Colorado). Aside from being better for the environment (transporting liquids is one of the most energy consuming activities) they help enbolden local culture.
We shouldn't be trying to get things other cities have, we should be trying to create things they don't have.
In fact, I try to only buy only locally and semi-locally brewed beers and wines (Empyrean Ales, Upstream, Jobber's Canyon...O'Conner's in the Old Market brews some of their own beers, and then things from farther away like New Belgium beers brewed in Colorado). Aside from being better for the environment (transporting liquids is one of the most energy consuming activities) they help enbolden local culture.
We shouldn't be trying to get things other cities have, we should be trying to create things they don't have.
I've eaten once at the Ruth's Chris in downtown Denver, and it was really, really good. Pricey, but good.
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
Location: Omaha
Wasn't this place mentioned as a possible tenant in the Mutual mini-city project?
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
It sure was Tom..See my opening post here:OmahaChef wrote:Wasn't this place mentioned as a possible tenant in the Mutual mini-city project?
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5228
For the record, I ate at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Atlanta and while it was expensive, the food was very good..Not overrated at all IMO..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Planning Board
Posts: 2264
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
Location: Omaha
Yep, when I was showing a Park Plaza units, Tasha mentioned it so they may still be committed to the project. And it was indeed mentioned when the project was first announced as Cowboy and yourself mentioned.OmahaChef wrote:Wasn't this place mentioned as a possible tenant in the Mutual mini-city project?
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Just heard a Ruth's Chris add on 590am

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
Planning Board
Posts: 2645
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm
It was good. I still consider Flemmings and Mahogany better though.Omaha Cowboy wrote:It sure was Tom..See my opening post here:OmahaChef wrote:Wasn't this place mentioned as a possible tenant in the Mutual mini-city project?
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5228
For the record, I ate at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Atlanta and while it was expensive, the food was very good..Not overrated at all IMO..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Library Board
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:30 am
Location: Council Bluffs
I ate at Ruth's Chris in Dallas and it was terrific. Best steak ever. Little pricey but well worth it.
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Ruth's Chris' food is very good.EastCB wrote:I ate at Ruth's Chris in Dallas and it was terrific. Best steak ever. Little pricey but well worth it.
It is spendy for what you get, but not that much out of line, particularly if somebody else is paying!
However, I would much rather see Omaha get a new independent steak house (wildest dreams: a reincarnation of Ross' or Sparetime!) than something you can get anywhere.
Human Relations
Posts: 607
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:10 am
So, anybody have the final verdict on this? I've heard a ton of commercials for them on local radio lately and I'm sure they aren't spending money hoping we all drive to the Plaza.
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
I hear they were going to Midtown Crossing.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am
I wouldn't speculate on this any longer, as they would've worked something out on this by now if it was going to happen, and believe me a project like this is actually worse to keep a secret if it became official.
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Someone |expletive| in your breakfast today Erik?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
Yes! How did you guess? :;):Brad wrote:Someone |expletive| in your breakfast today Erik?
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Because you took out your aggression on the rumors section....Anonymous wrote:Yes! How did you guess? :;):Brad wrote:Someone |expletive| in your breakfast today Erik?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am
Brad wrote:Because you took out your aggression on the rumors section....Anonymous wrote:Yes! How did you guess? :;):Brad wrote:Someone |expletive| in your breakfast today Erik?
Brad, I didn't do anything that bad compared to a whole lot of other people here.. All I did was just bring up some of the old rumors and asked what is up with them.