Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
-
ItsAllAboutMe
- Human Relations
- Posts: 962
- Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
Anyone know why "Best Western" signs have been removed from the hotel?, who bought it and is it staying as a hotel?
-
joeglow
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2645
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm
Re: Redick Hotel
Hopefully, they are closing it. Does not reflect well on our city:ItsAllAboutMe wrote:Anyone know why "Best Western" signs have been removed from the hotel?, who bought it and is it staying as a hotel?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... raska.html
-
loyalomahan
- Library Board
- Posts: 426
- Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:37 am
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
Looks like they got pretty typical Best Western reviews (2 negative, 1 average, 2 positive). Let's face it... you could have cars broken into at any hotel downtown over a six month period.
-
Ingersoll1978
- Library Board
- Posts: 490
- Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 5:27 pm
- Location: Des Moines
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
It's definately not flying the Best Western flag anymore. Hopefully something is in store for this property. I would recommend calling them and asking. They usually will tell you.
-
OmahaDevelopmentMan
- Human Relations
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:12 pm
- Location: Omaha, someplace in middle America
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
That would be a good property for some apartments or condos.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
That building is one of my all time favorite buildings DT. Going inside feels like you stepped back into the 30's. It's cool and kind of scary in a way. With all of the other residential stuff around it I don't see it sitting for too too long.
DTO
-
rtpetersomaha
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:49 pm
- Location: Midtown Omaha
Not closed
The hotel is not closed, just no longer flying the Best Western flag. I stopped in to ask one of the hotel clerks what was going on. He said the owners ended their B.W. association (maybe they got kicked out for being sub-par?) and was looking for a new chain to associate themselves with. For now, he said they would operate as an independent.
I must say, the hotel is run terribly. Victor Yampolsky from the symphony used to stay there while in town (until they leased him an apartment in the former Regis apts) and he also said it was terrible. Things were stolen from his room, the staff gave poor service and he said it was in generally bad shape. I agree.
I must say, the hotel is run terribly. Victor Yampolsky from the symphony used to stay there while in town (until they leased him an apartment in the former Regis apts) and he also said it was terrible. Things were stolen from his room, the staff gave poor service and he said it was in generally bad shape. I agree.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
According to a 7/31/06 listing: "Redick Plaza Hotel Restaurant - Restaurant available on ground floor of hotel in downtown Omaha. New hotel owners creating a boutique hotel looking for a restaurant group to operate here. Downtown / Condo conversion/residential area and directly across from the Orpheum Theater. Great spot for lunch and dinner before/after theater dining. Could also provide catering to hotel. "
Just what is a boutique hotel?
Just what is a boutique hotel?
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
quaint?? quirky??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boutique_hotel
.Boutique hotel is a term originating in North America to describe intimate, usually luxurious or quirky hotel environments. Boutique hotels differentiate themselves from larger chain/branded hotels and motels by providing an exceptional and personalized level of accommodation and services / facilities
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boutique_hotel
-
midtown charlie
- Human Relations
- Posts: 546
- Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:57 pm
- Location: Omaha
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
And that is exactly what downtown needs.
I look for boutique hotels first when I am traveling. I don't always stay at them but I look at those first. Very Cool!!!
I look for boutique hotels first when I am traveling. I don't always stay at them but I look at those first. Very Cool!!!
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
I was walking by there the other day and noticed that the Redick had a retail by I'd never seen before. I wonder if this is where the restaurant will be or the restaurant already in the building.
I don't know if I want this going condo. I like to take pictures from this place and wouldn't be able to do that anymore.
I don't know if I want this going condo. I like to take pictures from this place and wouldn't be able to do that anymore.
DTO
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
D'Shawn, from what I read the new owner would not go condo, but renovate for a Boutique Hotel. It sounds like there was already space for the restaurant here.
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
Yes, there is. In fact, I have ate at that location in the past. Don't think the place stayed open long, as they never advertised, but it was good eats.Coyote wrote:It sounds like there was already space for the restaurant here.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
--William Jennings Bryan
--William Jennings Bryan
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
It's fantastic to see the Redick return to private ownership. Dependin on how it's done, and what the owners are going for, this could be another 4 diamond hotel for Omaha. And I hope the restaurant is classy, modern, delicious, and reasonably priced.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
Modern? I certainly hope they maintain the art deco found in there at least.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
--William Jennings Bryan
--William Jennings Bryan
-
j4nu
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 248
- Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:27 pm
- Location: Old Market
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
This hotel would be a excellent location and design to go botique. For those that know, the Raphael in KC is a great example.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
Whatever it is, I just hope it's done well. I certainly think an ultra-modern restaurant would be really cool there. If they attempted to compliment the Art Deco of the buildin, they would have to do a damn good job and make sure they do it justice so that the resto doesn't look cheesey.icejammer wrote:Modern? I certainly hope they maintain the art deco found in there at least.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
I absolutely agree!..j4nu wrote:This hotel would be a excellent location and design to go botique. For those that know, the Raphael in KC is a great example.
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Hawkeye
- Library Board
- Posts: 256
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:58 pm
- Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
That's a terrific building in a terrific location. It should stay a hotel and just simply needs someone to come in and make a serious effort to help it live up to its potential.
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
It does have a restaurant already, facing 15th Street. If it became a boutique hotel, it could be a good spot for an upscale dining facility. That building has so much potential, it just needs someone who shares the passion for the architecture and excellent service.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
I agree OC - I have been meaning to mention this to a couple of Food Industry friends of mine. In the right hands this could be a city jewel.
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
Redick Bistro.
Signs are up in the windows of the bar/cafe/whatever spot of the Redick hotel. Says a Redick Bistro will open soon. I'll get a pic later.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
Does anyone remember the fabulous Redick Grill? It was a gorgeous restaurant that was only open a few years in about the late 1980s. A great mural on the wall. Very Art Deco.
-
RegisResident
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 181
- Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:45 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
This is great news! I'm glad to see something going into that space.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
Redick redo
http://www.omaha.com/article/20090821/E ... /708219888
http://www.omaha.com/article/20090821/E ... /708219888
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Redick Bistro is opening “soon” in the Redick Plaza Hotel at 1504 Harney St., according to signs in the hotel's main floor windows. Employees said the entire hotel is undergoing renovation and confirmed that a new eatery will be part of that. They referred other questions to the hotel manager, who did not return multiple phone calls over the past three weeks.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
RegisResident
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 181
- Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:45 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
I was walking back from the Dubliner tonight and noticed the Redick has some new lights that accent the structure from the east. It doesn't look like they have put the new lights on the west side but I'm glad to see they are accenting the building. Maybe they'll get rid of the really ugly awnings from the Best Western days and either leave the space open, or replace them with some nice canvas awnings that better reflect the theme of the building.
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Redick Plaza news & location
So according to the Omaha Monopoly Fishwrap the Redick Plaza is closed for renovation. I decided to google the property & went to the web site.
Imagine my surprise when, according to the web site, the property is conveniently located "two blocks east of the Old Market". Where in the Missouri River would that be?
Imagine my surprise when, according to the web site, the property is conveniently located "two blocks east of the Old Market". Where in the Missouri River would that be?
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
This makes sense. I was wondering why their windows were covered up this morning. A few weeks ago they removed the awning on the front of the building. Hopefully they get rid of that f*cking ugly purple 80's abortion of a sign they added. That is one of the prettiest buildings DT and that sign ruins the facade. It's like the Chrysler Building being adorned with cans of Auqa Net. 
DTO
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
Redick Plaza Hotel closed for renovations
http://www.omaha.com/article/20091105/MONEY/711059981
http://www.omaha.com/article/20091105/MONEY/711059981
Steve Jordon WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Redick Plaza Hotel, 1504 Harney St., is closed for six to eight months for renovation, according to a person who answered the door Wednesday.
The 89-room hotel closed Monday. Workers were visible inside the lobby, and its canopy along Harney Street had been removed.
A woman at the hotel declined to give her name or further information.
Employees earlier said the renovation will include a new restaurant to be called Redick Bistro.
The 11-story hotel is in a former office building that was converted into a hotel in 1987 as a Radisson property. It dropped that affiliation in 1997 and had been a Best Western property until recently.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
RegisResident
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 181
- Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:45 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
Walked by today and they are definitely doing something inside. There was a sign on the door that said Construction Zone but their van was in front of the building. Hopefully they do some nice updates- it would be great to have a classy hotel to connect 16th St. to the Old Market area.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
This place has a ton of potential. The rooms are huge, and the art deco look is fantastic. Let's hope for the best with this.
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
I was always hopeful that they could combine the Barker building with the Redick somehow. There actually was a plan for that but it died a quick death.nativeomahan wrote:This place has a ton of potential. The rooms are huge, and the art deco look is fantastic. Let's hope for the best with this.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
If anyone has been in the building is was like stepping back into the 30's. It was very art deco but some elements made it looked too dated. If they keep restore the inside to be modern as well as retro then I think they could start to get into the Magnolia class of hotel. That bistro will really help.
DTO
-
ItsAllAboutMe
- Human Relations
- Posts: 962
- Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
A new awning is being installed this morning, other then that I haven't seen much work going on.
-
RegisResident
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 181
- Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:45 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
It looks like the old awning is still on the 15th St. entrance- hopefully they plan on replacing that one too. I haven't seen anything going on either and I have a perfect view into the upper floors of the building.... maybe they are doing some infrastructure work that isn't easily visible. I guess if they said this is going to take a few months it could just be ramping up.ItsAllAboutMe wrote:A new awning is being installed this morning, other then that I haven't seen much work going on.
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
Hmmmm...I live right across the street from this building, and look out onto it, and I did not notice the new awning. Thanks for mentioning this.ItsAllAboutMe wrote:A new awning is being installed this morning, other then that I haven't seen much work going on.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
I saw the new awning the other day, too. It's nice; flat black with no lettering yet. The awning on the east side was still the old one.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
ItsAllAboutMe
- Human Relations
- Posts: 962
- Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
All the furniture is being remove from the hotel. Moving vans have been here for days so lets hope this is the beginning of a renovation.
-
ItsAllAboutMe
- Human Relations
- Posts: 962
- Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
This building is definitely being gutted.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel
I wonder what's being done (or what's being allowed to NOT be done) to preserve the architectural character of the inside of the building.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963