So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here
User avatar
GaryFL
Home Owners Association
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Midtown!

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by GaryFL »

See subject line.

I'm moving to Omaha in a few weeks (January). I'm a 34-year old single professional. I'll be living downtown, at 19th and Farnam. I've been prowling the web looking for information about Omaha nightlife, events, organizations, places to meet people, and whatnot. I don't know anyone in Omaha, other than folks I've met through this forum. and I'm really looking forward to finding some new contacts and activities in my new city.

So, where would be a good point for a new-in-town fellow to start? Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by DTO Luv »

I guess some of us could take you out for a night on the town. :cheers: > :banana: > :cheers: > :leek: > :cheers: > :barf:
DTO
the1wags
County Board
Posts: 3853
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Denver

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by the1wags »

Well once your settled in, head to the Old Market for food and drinks (if your into that) Attend a Knights or UNO hockey game at the Civic or Qwest Center. Check out a Creighton BB game at the Qwest Center if you want to see it really rocking.
User avatar
Swift
Planning Board
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: NYC

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by Swift »

I'd say head down to La Buvette (a nice little wine bar on 11th between Howard and Jackson in the Old Market) and get a a cheese plate and a glass of wine.


Of course the FIRST thing you should probably do is buy groceries! :D



Actually, you should give us a rough idea what your interests are so that we can point you in the right direction. And as we get closer to the actual date, we can give you more specific ideas on what you could do. (For example, this weekend the Red Chair Art Show is opening at the Bemis, the Omaha Symphony is having a concert featuring "the Von Trapp Children", Hamlet Opens at UNOmaha's theater, Corkscrew is having a French wine/cheese/art tasting, "Fast Food Nation" the movie opens at Dundee Theater, there are several poetry and fiction readings going on, and a plethora of music concerts and performances, just to name a very few.)
MTO
City Council
Posts: 7783
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by MTO »

Maybe swing on down to the Sokol and hang out then head back to the OMA and make the most of it maybe underground or something.

PS stop by Big E and see if he'll hook you up with some free wine.
15-17, 26, 32
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:00 pm

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by ModestMouse »

I would go to probably sokol.

Hit up a concert.
User avatar
GaryFL
Home Owners Association
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Midtown!

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by GaryFL »

Thanks everyone for the responses. This gives me some good ideas.
Attend a Knights or UNO hockey game at the Civic or Qwest Center. Check out a Creighton BB game at the Qwest Center if you want to see it really rocking.
I was thinking of joining a supporter's group for one of the local sports teams. Preferably one that plays at the Civic Center, since that will be within walking distance of my home. My understanding is that those are the Knights hockey team and the Beef indoor football. Indoor football is great, but man, "Beef" is in awful name for a team. And the Knights don't seem to have much fan support.
I'd say head down to La Buvette (a nice little wine bar on 11th between Howard and Jackson in the Old Market) and get a a cheese plate and a glass of wine.
Is that one of those dimly-lit places with avant-garde art on the walls where you can sit in big chairs and smoke cigars? Sounds lovely. I'm trying to decide which Old Market bar/hangout best suits my personality, and attracts the type of people I can relate to. Though I suppose I will have to try them all and see.
would go to probably sokol. Hit up a concert.
I'm not in terribly good physical shape, so I don't know if the social group is quite up my alley, but hopefully they've got volleyball or something I can play. Or maybe I could just go for the rock concerts. I love live music.
Actually, you should give us a rough idea what your interests are so that we can point you in the right direction.
Well, I'm looking to diversify my hobbies, so I intentionally left the original question open-ended. I'd like to get involved with something a little more fine-arts or otherwise intellectual, like a literary or theater group.
User avatar
Swift
Planning Board
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: NYC

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by Swift »

There are tons of things. You could join the Joslyn Young Arts Patrons (young is used euphemistically in this case, as the group is for people aged 25-40). There's LitFest, lots of readings and such. I'll find you more information when I'm not procrastinating about writing my art history paper, as I am right now.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:31 am
Location: O!

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by jjjjhskr »

You could not have picked a better time to move from Florida to Omaha. :;): If you can make it through your first winter you'll be a true convert and will be another one of us cult members extolling the virtues of one of the fairest cities in the land!
User avatar
GaryFL
Home Owners Association
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Midtown!

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by GaryFL »

Swift wrote:There are tons of things. You could join the Joslyn Young Arts Patrons (young is used euphemistically in this case, as the group is for people aged 25-40). There's LitFest, lots of readings and such.
That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. The Joslyn thing sounds wonderful. I can research these things on the web, but it's more effective if I know the exact name of the event. Also, any firsthand experiences from anyone who has participated would be most insightful. I'm hoping a young art patrons group would attract an eclectic, diverse, and interesting group of people.
jjjjhskr wrote:You could not have picked a better time to move from Florida to Omaha. Wink If you can make it through your first winter you'll be a true convert and will be another one of us cult members extolling the virtues of one of the fairest cities in the land!
Yeah, I think so. In fact, I can't wait to have my Florida-based family visit, so they can see firsthand what a cool town I have moved to. I'm already planning itineraries in my mind.

I don't think the cold weather will be a problem, as I lived in rural Alaska (brrrr) for a few weeks and Seattle for about a year and a half.

As for the timing, people are just now starting to get out of Florida. There was a local news piece about how to successfully sell your house -- apparently this is becoming difficult to do. And I feel like I'm getting into Omaha at a good time, what with all the development and conversion efforts that are going on.
User avatar
GaryFL
Home Owners Association
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Midtown!

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by GaryFL »

OK, here's what I've settled on so far:

- Joslyn Young Art Patrons group.
- Omaha Knights hockey booster club.
- Local web design/PHP group I found on meetup.com.
- Cooking classes at "The Classy Gourmet" at Westroads Mall.

That should keep me busy, and introduce me to the sort of people I'd like to meet.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: The Big O

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by guy4omaha »

All of those things you have mentioned doing are fine Gary. But since you asked for the first thing you should do I suggest you EAT first. Go to LaCasa's and then do these other things. It's good to enjoy art, but the belly is closest to the heart.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:00 pm

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by ModestMouse »

La Casa...maybe.

However, If you want art...the bohemian life style...go to bemis!
User avatar
Swift
Planning Board
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: NYC

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by Swift »

That cooking class sounds interesting, I'm going to look into it.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: The Big O

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by guy4omaha »

There seems to be some momentum for the cooking class. How about cooking, eating (of course) and drinking wine.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
User avatar
GaryFL
Home Owners Association
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Midtown!

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by GaryFL »

guy4omaha wrote:There seems to be some momentum for the cooking class. How about cooking, eating (of course) and drinking wine.
Well, yeah, but I've also got some serious weight I'm working on losing. So I don't want to eat and drink TOO much.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: The Big O

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by guy4omaha »

Geez, thanks for bringing in the realism. But trust me at age 44 I have to watch the weight every step of the way. But heck, no one can see your fantastic abs in underneath your winter coat and sweater anyway. One of the few benefits of summer being a long way off. Enjoy now, diet and tone up later. :P And at my age, the women ain't looking anymore anyway. :shock:
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Bennington

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by Stargazer »

Here's something off the wall... and it's free.

Down at the Aksarben Aquarium south of Ashland, they do bird 'banding' on the morning of the first Saturday of every month. There's almost no one who ever shows up for these things (or at least when I've gone to them)... and they'll actually let you help/do bird releases/etc. I was amazed at all the different species they'd catch in their netting as well. Of course, needless to say... this is really popular with kids, but this big kid likes it too.

Hint, hint... it may be a good opportunity for the photographers among us as well (you can get some REALLY close up photos of these hand held birds).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
User avatar
GaryFL
Home Owners Association
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Midtown!

So, what's the first thing I should do when I get to town?

Post by GaryFL »

Well, it appears the first thing I will do when I get to town is attend the Knights hockey game on January 10th. I get to town on the 9th, after which I'll spend a couple days collecting my shipped items, acquiring new things I need (like warm clothes), and settling in. Hopefully by then I'll be up for the short walk to the Civic Auditorium.