Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=1439047
Citing the 1600 Farnam going 'affordable' condo... the Seattle developer has decided to make the Barker building apartments... which also qualifies the project for more tax breaks.
I for one... welcome a few more apartments in the downtown area along with the wave of condos.
Citing the 1600 Farnam going 'affordable' condo... the Seattle developer has decided to make the Barker building apartments... which also qualifies the project for more tax breaks.
I for one... welcome a few more apartments in the downtown area along with the wave of condos.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106377
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: Barker building will go apartments rather than condos
Seconded!jhuston wrote:I for one... welcome a few more apartments in the downtown area along with the wave of condos.
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
I couldn't agree more!!! Not all of us can afford 250K plus condos downtown. Apartments or condo, it is a great use of an interesting building!
-
OmahaDevelopmentMan
- Human Relations
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:12 pm
- Location: Omaha, someplace in middle America
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
Good, we need apartments not just all condos.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036567
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
Can anyone guess what the monthly rent be on the appartments?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
Has anyone heard anything on this project?? Announced a loooong time ago as condos, then changed a year ago to apartments, nothing has yet happened. I can see the Lerner Building not being started until there is a viable retail client, or if they were waiting for saome absorption of the current condo projects on the market, but if a building is to be apartments? Doesn't make much sense.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
-
ItsAllAboutMe
- Human Relations
- Posts: 962
- Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
On the developers web site they have updated the information to state the project would not start until the spring of 2007. Thats too bad, I think they will never get it going.
Also, the same developer has removed any information regarding the Lerner building from their website. I think we can move this project in to the dumpster
Also, the same developer has removed any information regarding the Lerner building from their website. I think we can move this project in to the dumpster
Last edited by ItsAllAboutMe on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
scraper
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 191
- Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:20 am
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
I do know the Barker building has tax liens filed against it for non-payment of property taxes (to the tune of $17,000). Perhaps funding is an issue?
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
Well that's not good. They're going to have to pay that off before they can take out loan.
Has there been any public notice of a tax sale of the building? They're still in the project and still have the equitable right of redemption which means they can pay off the lien before it's sold. I hope they take care of it soon, I really want this one to happen.
Has there been any public notice of a tax sale of the building? They're still in the project and still have the equitable right of redemption which means they can pay off the lien before it's sold. I hope they take care of it soon, I really want this one to happen.
-
j4nu
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 248
- Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:27 pm
- Location: Old Market
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
Thought this was as good as spot as any, I need some some help looking for an apartment downtown. We need a place by mid July to August 1st that allows pets and has offstreet or better yet indoor parking. The Skinner building, Green House, and Cornerstone seem to fit the needs but I was hoping from some feedback from the group.
Thanks
Thanks
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
B4 I head out for the nite, I'll reply to this. There is a place called Apartment Finders on 108th and Center. I can't remember the number though. Some may be able to help out more than I can now if you don't want to pay the finding fee. Well gotta go, good luck.
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
The Skinner and The Greenhouse are non-pet, unless it is a cat.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
Sad news on both the Lerner Building on 16th, and the Barker at 15th and Farnum. It would be nice if a reputable firm came aonog and bought one or both and actually did something with them. It is sad to see both projects die.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
-
Minneapolis Boy
- Library Board
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:31 pm
- Location: Back in Omaha!
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
Didn't a company from Seattle purchase the Barker Building? At the time of purchase there was much fanfare about this company "knowing how to do urban redevelopment." [not an exact quote] Since then, nothing. It is very sad. I hope something positive happens in the next year or two.
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
It was a company that had the words "affordable housing" in it's name I think. I wish I could remember it so I could check their website and see what's up.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
Thanks Adam! It says the Barker is to start renovation in the Spring of 2007.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
-
Finn
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1387
- Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:54 pm
- Location: DC
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
It is an LIHTC project and they probably did not get awarded tax credits. It is a competitive program and difficult to get funds - espaecially the first try. It is typical for developers to try to attain tax credits for a couple of years due to the expense, time and expertise involved in the process. This project will probably be trying again during the next round of tax credit applications.
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
See this thread for an OWH article with an update on the project.
http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4743
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
There may be something to that Spring 07 after all. Today walking home I saw 3 well dressed men outside of the Barker building talking and looking at it and then they walked inside. :D Something is in the works here which is great, that building could be another real gem.
http://www.heritageaffordablehousing.com/barker.html
http://www.heritageaffordablehousing.com/barker.html
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
Well, guess I'll have to add fuel to this fire, Josh. A week ago Monday, I was waiting for a bus at 15th and Farnum, and several guys came out of the building! It took me bu surprise, because it was the first time I had ever seen activity of any kind there.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
Does this building still have a $17,000 tax lien on it or was that paid off? Something needs to be in that building though. This would be ONE of the last conversion projects in Omaha. Not to many are left.
-
j4nu
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 248
- Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:27 pm
- Location: Old Market
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
I am curious about this building and have been for some time. If it does have a formal lobby it makes me even more curious about its history and what it was originally used for.
-
midtown charlie
- Human Relations
- Posts: 546
- Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:57 pm
- Location: Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
I don't really remember a formal lobby but it has been almost 20 years since I was in there. I remember it divided up between different businesses. An Insurance Company took up most of the building. ( a side note that same insurance company was kicked out of the old WOW building because someone wanted to tear it down. Sad huh. Granted they were about the only ones in that building and they only took a couple of floors but to force someone out so you can tear it down seems odd!) Anyway back to the Barker. The ground floor had a magazine shop but I don't remember much else.
I have a pic somewhere of the lights that were on the side of the building (they have since been removed...I hope it was to protect them). I'll see if I can find them and post em.
I have a pic somewhere of the lights that were on the side of the building (they have since been removed...I hope it was to protect them). I'll see if I can find them and post em.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
That's right. It had GORGEOUS light fixtures. And I TOO hope they were removed for safe keeping, to be re-installed after a renovation.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
I'll have to look closer at the building while I walk past going to work. I haven't seen anything that points to cleanup yet.
(Off topic) I agree 100% with the above statement.
(Off topic) I agree 100% with the above statement.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036567
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
Have they fixed the broken windows and killed the "rats with wings" yet?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
No. I want to see this get going as much as anybody. But I'm telling ya, I walk past this building twice a day, and there is nothing going on here yet. If there's been window cleaning, then the cleaners need fired.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036567
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
That's cool. What did that use to be?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
It looks like some sort of library with all that two-tiered shelving.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
I think that is where D'Shawn stored all his speeding tickets.
-
Historic Omaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:59 pm
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
It was a shoe store
-
Admin
- Law Enforcement
- Posts: 1313
- Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
- Location: Omaha
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
Now that makes sense. Thanks Historic Omaha - and welcome to the Forum!Historic Omaha wrote:It was a shoe store
-
j4nu
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 248
- Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:27 pm
- Location: Old Market
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
As I was walking around last night I was trying to think about how cool it must have been to shop around downtown when stores like that, Brandeis, Borsheims etc. were downtown. It had to be a great experience to shop down there. Too bad we lost that to the suburban mall.
-
Historic Omaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:59 pm
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
I too would like to see major retailers return to DTO. However, I have seen and read about the extensive GIS modeling used to choose a location for a store (such as Walmart, Target, Whole Foods, etc.) and its not for lack and people appreciating downtowns...it really has more to do with economics (are there enough people to justify the higher cost of land, rent, parking). I believe that Omaha is getting closer to making such a justification. Downtown revitalization is not just about aesthetics...it is also about businesses making money. I apologize if I am "coming on strong"; I too want the best for Omaha. There is just a method for how this all works and we cannot pretend to be Le Corbusier with an ultimate vision of the what a city should be.
-
Historic Omaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:59 pm
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
True & very exciting!
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Midtown Crossing is the most important project currently happening in Omaha, among many FANTASTIC projects.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
Ingersoll1978
- Library Board
- Posts: 490
- Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 5:27 pm
- Location: Des Moines
Barker Building (15th and Farnam)
I just went and looked at Heritage Affordable Housing's website...and none of the projects in Omaha are listed anymore. I know that both the Lerner and Barker Buildings were listed as projects before. Des Moines also had an apartment building proposed as well...and it isn't listed either. Maybe the company experienced financial difficulties...who knows? The building they did do (Mulberry Lofts) here turned out quite good (and was completed earlier this year).
Here is a link to the Mulberry Lofts project page on absolutedsm.com:
http://www.absolutedsm.com/Projects%20a ... n_2005.htm
Here is a link to the Mulberry Lofts project page on absolutedsm.com:
http://www.absolutedsm.com/Projects%20a ... n_2005.htm
