While it's not my site, in terms of Omaha visibility and people searching for things - I'm not sure that's the best approach... Might be worth investigating if there's another way. I suspect at least SOME people have found out (and perhaps moved here) based on googling "moving to omaha" or the like.Admin wrote:You are correct kind sir, it was in the phpBB folder instead of the root directory. Thank you so much!
Human Relations
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
I would have to agree - but what are the options here?
Is it the hits to the site or the bandwidth in question?
Is it the hits to the site or the bandwidth in question?
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
We are sorry for the brief outage this evening from 10 to midnight.
The off site server went down without warning. We are looking into this matter.
The off site server went down without warning. We are looking into this matter.
City Council
Posts: 110964
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
Love the tweaks that have went on here to make this a even nicer place to chat.
I have one question on feature availability that I am used to from a couple of other boards that I frequent. On those boards there is a icon change At the same location as the NEW POSTS / NO NEW POSTS icon that indicates if this is a thread that I have posted in before. I find this feature usefully especially on OLD THREAD REVIVAL threads. It helps prompt my thoughts as to what the thread was about as I get OLD and the threads I post in have a bigger importance. If you post in every thread basically this is not an issues but it is nice for some. Was just wondering if this was available on this BBS system and if it was if there could be thought given to activating it.
I have one question on feature availability that I am used to from a couple of other boards that I frequent. On those boards there is a icon change At the same location as the NEW POSTS / NO NEW POSTS icon that indicates if this is a thread that I have posted in before. I find this feature usefully especially on OLD THREAD REVIVAL threads. It helps prompt my thoughts as to what the thread was about as I get OLD and the threads I post in have a bigger importance. If you post in every thread basically this is not an issues but it is nice for some. Was just wondering if this was available on this BBS system and if it was if there could be thought given to activating it.
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
We will look into this Mod.
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
I have a question...
I used to be able to command-click (I'm on a Mac w/ Safari, not sure what the Windows variant is) on a link to open it in a new tab. I could go down the whole list of threads with new posts in about two seconds.
Now if I do that, it opens the new tab, but also changes the current page, so I end up with two of the same page.
Thanks
-Big E
I used to be able to command-click (I'm on a Mac w/ Safari, not sure what the Windows variant is) on a link to open it in a new tab. I could go down the whole list of threads with new posts in about two seconds.
Now if I do that, it opens the new tab, but also changes the current page, so I end up with two of the same page.
Thanks
-Big E
Stable genius.
Human Relations
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha
This happens on my win firefox, but only sometimes. I haven't quite figured it out. It doesn't happen elsewhere, nor did it on the old eomaha.com forums.Big E wrote:I have a question...
I used to be able to command-click (I'm on a Mac w/ Safari, not sure what the Windows variant is) on a link to open it in a new tab. I could go down the whole list of threads with new posts in about two seconds.
Now if I do that, it opens the new tab, but also changes the current page, so I end up with two of the same page.
Thanks
-Big E
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
No problems with Internet Explorer.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
It seems wholly unique to this forum. I tested it on IE and Firefox on Windows as well and it's still there.Asten wrote:This happens on my win firefox, but only sometimes. I haven't quite figured it out. It doesn't happen elsewhere, nor did it on the old eomaha.com forums.Big E wrote:I have a question...
I used to be able to command-click (I'm on a Mac w/ Safari, not sure what the Windows variant is) on a link to open it in a new tab. I could go down the whole list of threads with new posts in about two seconds.
Now if I do that, it opens the new tab, but also changes the current page, so I end up with two of the same page.
Thanks
-Big E
-Big E
Stable genius.
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
How long has this been occurring Eric? There have not been many changes to the forum since the beginning of the year.
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Since right after the switch I think. I just recently remembered to mention it.
-Big E
-Big E
Stable genius.
Human Relations
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha
Agreed, since the switch.Big E wrote:Since right after the switch I think. I just recently remembered to mention it.
-Big E
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 4359#64359
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Heh. My bad. I wasn't around very much during that period of time.
In fairness, I've always been able to right-click (Mac). It's the command-click (keyboard stroke + mouse click) that doesn't work now.
-Big E
In fairness, I've always been able to right-click (Mac). It's the command-click (keyboard stroke + mouse click) that doesn't work now.
-Big E
Stable genius.
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
So as not to be too annoying - those threads which a user has already posted in now has a small red circle below the respective icons. Sorry for the forum being down briefly while this was being installed.nebugeater wrote:Love the tweaks that have went on here to make this a even nicer place to chat.
I have one question on feature availability that I am used to from a couple of other boards that I frequent. On those boards there is a icon change At the same location as the NEW POSTS / NO NEW POSTS icon that indicates if this is a thread that I have posted in before. I find this feature usefully especially on OLD THREAD REVIVAL threads. It helps prompt my thoughts as to what the thread was about as I get OLD and the threads I post in have a bigger importance. If you post in every thread basically this is not an issues but it is nice for some. Was just wondering if this was available on this BBS system and if it was if there could be thought given to activating it.
City Council
Posts: 110964
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
Admin wrote:So as not to be too annoying - those threads which a user has already posted in now has a small red circle below the respective icons. Sorry for the forum being down briefly while this was being installed.nebugeater wrote:Love the tweaks that have went on here to make this a even nicer place to chat.
I have one question on feature availability that I am used to from a couple of other boards that I frequent. On those boards there is a icon change At the same location as the NEW POSTS / NO NEW POSTS icon that indicates if this is a thread that I have posted in before. I find this feature usefully especially on OLD THREAD REVIVAL threads. It helps prompt my thoughts as to what the thread was about as I get OLD and the threads I post in have a bigger importance. If you post in every thread basically this is not an issues but it is nice for some. Was just wondering if this was available on this BBS system and if it was if there could be thought given to activating it.
Thanks, logged on and noticed it. Haven't really "used" it yet but I already appreciate it! Keep up the good work!
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
We apologize for the down time this evening as we are trying to incorporate into this site a new feature:
Buildings of Omaha
Buildings of Omaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:07 am
You might find it better to serve those various locations up in a XML document and feed them into the Google Maps. Using it the way you have it is going to take forever to load each time, and KILL your bandwidth.Admin wrote:We apologize for the down time this evening as we are trying to incorporate into this site a new feature:
Buildings of Omaha
City Council
Posts: 110964
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
Did something change on here that affects the VIEW UNREAD POSTS and the way it works? I use it a lot and today, for the first time, when I use it and then use the back arrow it gives me a YOU CANNOT DO A SEARCH THIS SOON message. In the past I have always been able to use the back arrow and go back a page to the list to look at what was next. It has done this on two PC's using IE 6.0 today. That is all the investigating that I have done. I am sure, in the past that it was the complete list and not a re-search. I have gotten the YOU CANNOT.... message before but only when doing a custom search too soon. Any ideas?
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
I will look into this. When the maps mod became active there was an inadvertant php/html editing mistake that I thought was cleared up. There may be a few lingering problems yet. Thank you for reporting this problem.
Library Board
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:30 pm
Your robots.txt file seems to be missing again, the site is suffering again.lonnie wrote:Hmmm, I don't see it. It has to be atAdmin wrote:Thanks lonnie - I put that in a few days ago.
http://www.eomahaforums.com/robots.txt
Lonnie
Lonnie
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
Yes - I removed that file for the time being - replaced it a few months ago with a program that asks the robots to only visit every other day. It worked fine for these past two months until today. So I asked them now only to visit once every 7 days. We will see how that works.
Library Board
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:30 pm
Well, if the robots visit during normal-viewing-hours, if even every 7 days, it will still kill the site, correct?Admin wrote:Yes - I removed that file for the time being - replaced it a few months ago with a program that asks the robots to only visit every other day. It worked fine for these past two months until today. So I asked them now only to visit once every 7 days. We will see how that works.
Is that really worth it?
I vote add back robots.txt, maybe just
Code: Select all
User-agent: *
Disallow: /phpBB/
My 2 cents.
Lonnie
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Can't you limit there bandwith instead of just boot them. It would be nice if you can goole something about omaha and a discussion on here would pop up.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Like if you're looking for a candy store in Omaha and Google "Omaha candy" and get:
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6597
-Big E
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6597
-Big E
Stable genius.
Library Board
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:30 pm
No, considering the type of hosting that is used here... of course a $400/month dedicated server would do the trick! :DBrad wrote:Can't you limit there bandwith instead...
While I understand that some think the world wants to see everything that is talked about here, I think it is a good privacy measure to not allow the crawlers in. It is really scary what you can find with google sometimes.
As long as google knows about the site, people can search via the forum.
Lonnie
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Please block them!!! Its been a bad morning for the forum.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
robots.txt back online. damn google.
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
We are sorry about the down time today. Apparently a ptr.us.xo.net wasn't listening to the robots text so they are now banned from the site - whoever they are.
City Council
Posts: 110964
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
A couple of forums that I am registered on and go to frequently have a feature when that when you look at a thread it there is an option to go to the first UNREAD post. This is useful on threads that go on for days and weeks. Have I missed the ability to do that here? Is the feature available? In most cases the link is located where this forum has a VIEW NEWEST POST link by the subject line. It is handy when you are using the VIEW UNREAD POSTS and want to jump to where you left off. What am I missing here that will let me do that or is it not an option?
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
We presently do not have that option but I will look into this.
City Council
Posts: 110964
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
Thanks in advance for looking. It is a feature I find very useful. I know there is much more work involved than the "pay" would indicate so it is fully understood if it is not feasible.Admin wrote:We presently do not have that option but I will look into this.
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
I just discovered that the feature you are requesting is on phpBB 3 Olympus while we are running 2.0.21 here.
One of these days when there is more hours in a day I will try to upgrade.
[edit] Also - our server is upgrading our hosting platform in the next few weeks. I do not know what type of transition this may be nor how they are going to handle this - given the fact that it was exactly a year ago that we had problems moving the database to a new server.
One of these days when there is more hours in a day I will try to upgrade.
[edit] Also - our server is upgrading our hosting platform in the next few weeks. I do not know what type of transition this may be nor how they are going to handle this - given the fact that it was exactly a year ago that we had problems moving the database to a new server.
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
While I was looking into the previous request I found a new Mod.
Below the text space in a post reply box you will find an Add image to post link.
A PostImage.org window will then appear. But here is the tricky part. I can only get it to work this way:
Do not browse for a file here - but click on the bottom About
and in the next window - Upload your images -
Now browse from folders the file you want. You can enter a description. Now upload it.
Now copy to clipboard the BBCode and in the text box here ctrl - v it.
It will now copy both a url and an img tag and it will provide a thumbnail:

Click on the image to see the full image.
I know it has several steps but PostImage is providing this free.
So those of you who do not have an account or just want a quick picture post you can use this Mod.
Sorry - guests will still not be able to post urls.
Below the text space in a post reply box you will find an Add image to post link.
A PostImage.org window will then appear. But here is the tricky part. I can only get it to work this way:
Do not browse for a file here - but click on the bottom About
and in the next window - Upload your images -
Now browse from folders the file you want. You can enter a description. Now upload it.
Now copy to clipboard the BBCode and in the text box here ctrl - v it.
It will now copy both a url and an img tag and it will provide a thumbnail:

Click on the image to see the full image.
I know it has several steps but PostImage is providing this free.
So those of you who do not have an account or just want a quick picture post you can use this Mod.
Sorry - guests will still not be able to post urls.
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
I have not been able to do what you have seen elsewhere nebugeater - but I have found a similar way of what you desire.
On the Index page (the main forum page) in the upper right corner where it says:
You have no new messages
View unread posts
View unanswered posts
Mark all forums read
Formerly when you clicked view unread posts it would just give you all the threads where a new post was in.
After a few Modifications - now it will list the unread posts themselves in the order that they were posted - oldest first.
It will not mark the thread unread until you read the thread - so click on the subject i.e.
Subject: Why are the condos so expensive in downtown Omaha?
It will now take you to that first unread post in the thread. (unless a large picture messes up the goto#)
Now click the back button or alt - home and you will return to a refreshed unread post search page.
Not exactly what you wanted but I think it will have to do for now.
I think other forumers will find this feature easier to navigate through unread posts, so thanks for the suggestion.
On the Index page (the main forum page) in the upper right corner where it says:
You have no new messages
View unread posts
View unanswered posts
Mark all forums read
Formerly when you clicked view unread posts it would just give you all the threads where a new post was in.
After a few Modifications - now it will list the unread posts themselves in the order that they were posted - oldest first.
It will not mark the thread unread until you read the thread - so click on the subject i.e.
Subject: Why are the condos so expensive in downtown Omaha?
It will now take you to that first unread post in the thread. (unless a large picture messes up the goto#)
Now click the back button or alt - home and you will return to a refreshed unread post search page.
Not exactly what you wanted but I think it will have to do for now.
I think other forumers will find this feature easier to navigate through unread posts, so thanks for the suggestion.
City Council
Posts: 106377
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
The clock at the bottom of the mainpage seems to be correct, but none of the posts are!...that or else I'm putting in some overtime here without knowing it! 
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
You need to go set the right time on your profile. I don't think the forum updates for daylight savings.almighty_tuna wrote:The clock at the bottom of the mainpage seems to be correct, but none of the posts are!...that or else I'm putting in some overtime here without knowing it!

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
Brad is correct - the phpBB time does not change for daylights saving time since not all the world or even our country has this peculiarity. In your Profile under Preferences you need to change from -5 to -6 GMT.
City Council
Posts: 106377
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Thanks, guys!
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: OMAHA!!
Mark, this looks awesome! I agree with Brad that it would be neat for some new colors, but it looks good compared to most of the forums out there.
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
That must have been a long time ago? I think this forum and the old forum Jeff had both look very professional.creightonchick wrote:Mark, this looks awesome! I agree with Brad that it would be neat for some new colors, but it looks good compared to most of the forums out there.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto