Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by omaha79 »

Is Dudley's struggling? I love their pizza and went there last night. I was shocked to see they have gotten rid of basically half the restaurant. It's now walled off and will become yet another Coldstone/Rocky Mountain Chocolates. Admittedly, I mainly go before UNO hockey or basketball games and a few times before movies, but it typically seemed busy. It was often difficult to get into before UNO hockey games. Only having half the restaurant left seems odd and not the sign of a thriving business. I'll be disappointed if it closes.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036581
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by Brad »

Crazy, we were there less than 2 weeks ago and it was just like normal. Fairly busy too.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by omaha79 »

Brad wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:39 am Crazy, we were there less than 2 weeks ago and it was just like normal. Fairly busy too.
You now have to enter through the patio and the old entrance is walled off from the rest of the restaurant. There are signs that say "Dudley's is open during construction, enter through patio" and on the old non-bar dining room side, it says "coming soon" Coldstone/Rocky Mountain Chocolate".
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by Coyote »

Rumor has it that Dudley's will soon be replace by a NBC taproom.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036581
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:07 pm Rumor has it that Dudley's will soon be replace by a NBC taproom.
That would be an interesting addition! Serving their Papillion Brew Pub menu too?
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by Coyote »

Or New Belgian
Padre
Human Relations
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:53 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by Padre »

I, for one, would miss Dudley’s. I like their pizza. And honey on the crust is good stuff! Although I kind of saw the writing on the wall when Coldstone took over some of their space.
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 am

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by bigredmed1 »

Padre wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:32 pm I, for one, would miss Dudley’s. I like their pizza. And honey on the crust is good stuff! Although I kind of saw the writing on the wall when Coldstone took over some of their space.
Their food was OK. They have a lot of competition in AKVILwho are better at niche marketing.
User avatar
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board
Posts: 2191
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:00 pm

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Coyote wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:07 pm Rumor has it that Dudley's will soon be replace by a NBC taproom.
That would surprise me because there is a rumor going around they are being evicted from their taproom at Shadow Lake. Maybe it's that they're closing Shadow Lake to open Aksarben?
43county
Home Owners Association
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by 43county »

Coyote wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:22 pmOr New Belgian
This is on the money.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:26 am

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:14 pm
Padre wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:32 pm I, for one, would miss Dudley’s. I like their pizza. And honey on the crust is good stuff! Although I kind of saw the writing on the wall when Coldstone took over some of their space.
Their food was OK. They have a lot of competition in AKVILwho are better at niche marketing.
When I was still at PKI, Dudley's was always a pretty good draw for events held by the AE program. Never had a bad pizza there.
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 am

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by bigredmed1 »

Agreed. Their food was good.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by omaha79 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:34 am
Coyote wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:07 pm Rumor has it that Dudley's will soon be replace by a NBC taproom.
That would surprise me because there is a rumor going around they are being evicted from their taproom at Shadow Lake. Maybe it's that they're closing Shadow Lake to open Aksarben?
Interesting choice of words. Why would they be "evicted" at Shadow Lake? That development is struggling as is. I can't imagine they'd evict a restaurant if they are doing well. If they are struggling, I could see them closing it, but are they really being evicted?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by omaha79 »

This is disappointing. I legitimately like Dudley's, but I was worried this spring as well when it was clear they were closing half the restaurant. never a good sign for a restuarant at all.

Great pizza though. I will miss that place if it's gone. Tap rooms are becoming a dime a dozen. That was the only place in AkSarBen to get a good pizza. There will be a hole in the dining choices there.

Edit: just saw the rumor thread about possibly Noli's coming to AkSarBen? If true, that would replace the hole created by Dudley's leaving for good pizza in that development. But, I will still miss Dudley's.
User avatar
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board
Posts: 2191
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:00 pm

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

omaha79 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:45 pm
OmahaJaysCU wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:34 am
Coyote wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:07 pm Rumor has it that Dudley's will soon be replace by a NBC taproom.
That would surprise me because there is a rumor going around they are being evicted from their taproom at Shadow Lake. Maybe it's that they're closing Shadow Lake to open Aksarben?
Interesting choice of words. Why would they be "evicted" at Shadow Lake? That development is struggling as is. I can't imagine they'd evict a restaurant if they are doing well. If they are struggling, I could see them closing it, but are they really being evicted?
I chose that term specifically. The rumor I heard is they'd haven't been paying paid or are significantly behind on rent and thus being evicted. I was trying to give them benefit of the doubt by wondering out loud if my source was mistaken and that they were closing for this location. I like their beer so I hope they do well.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by omaha79 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:39 pm
omaha79 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:45 pm
OmahaJaysCU wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:34 am
Coyote wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:07 pm Rumor has it that Dudley's will soon be replace by a NBC taproom.
That would surprise me because there is a rumor going around they are being evicted from their taproom at Shadow Lake. Maybe it's that they're closing Shadow Lake to open Aksarben?
Interesting choice of words. Why would they be "evicted" at Shadow Lake? That development is struggling as is. I can't imagine they'd evict a restaurant if they are doing well. If they are struggling, I could see them closing it, but are they really being evicted?
I chose that term specifically. The rumor I heard is they'd haven't been paying paid or are significantly behind on rent and thus being evicted. I was trying to give them benefit of the doubt by wondering out loud if my source was mistaken and that they were closing for this location. I like their beer so I hope they do well.
I question the rationale behind having a tap room and a brewpub so close together. They are within a few miles of each other and both in Sarpy County. It wouldn't shock me if they closed the Brew Pub anyway. Shadow Lake isn't in great shape. I don't know any of my friends who go to the brewpub. We all go to the tasting room as they have more of their beers on tap, free video games, etc. It's just more convenient. And, the food at the brew pub was never all that amazing anyway.

HOnestly, this could speak more to the situation at Shadow Lake rather than the situation with Nebraska Brewing Company...at least I hope. I like their beer and they are very bicycle friendly.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by Coyote »

I heard a new rumor today, the Barstows that own the building want to turn it into a Detroit Style Pizza joont.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by Coyote »

Dudley's closed abruptly last night, all employees found out they were unemployed then. The bay's keys were handed over to someone else this morning.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by Coyote »

The word around here again is a Nebraska Brewin Co. Taproom.
Padre
Human Relations
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:53 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by Padre »

Coyote wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:05 pm Dudley's closed abruptly last night, all employees found out they were unemployed then. The bay's keys were handed over to someone else this morning.
That’s too bad! Dudley’s was the only place we would actually go out to for Pizza.
ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:32 am

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

Coyote wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:05 pm Dudley's closed abruptly last night, all employees found out they were unemployed then. The bay's keys were handed over to someone else this morning.
I have an acquaintance who worked at Dudley's, from what I can glean from her Facebook they did not handle this professionally at all.

Do Dudley's owners own any other local restaurants? I really don't want to support people who treat their employees like that
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by Coyote »

ProgKingHughesker wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 pm Do Dudley's owners own any other local restaurants? I really don't want to support people who treat their employees like that

I believe the present owners who bought out the original owners who were brothers are John Hughes owner of Magnum Development which owns Zone 5 in Aksarben Village, and Bill Barstow who owns theaters including Aksarben Cinema.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by omaha79 »

That's too bad. I liked Dudley's. i thought the pizza was really good.

With that being said, the writing was on the wall for a long time. They cut the restaurant in half to put in a Coldstone. Then, you have other pizza options going into AkSarBen. It felt like dead restaurant walking for a year now.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by Coyote »

Just found out that Bill Barstow got tired of the poor service Dudley's had turned into so he bought out the (15?) other co-owners. He doesn't want.anything that looks like Dudley's so everything is being removed, even the carpet. Bill is from Detroit, so he wants to open a Detroit Style Pizza place with a taproom. Wants to.open it by mid January.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11634
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by skinzfan23 »

I really liked Dudley's as well. Sad to see it go, but the past few times we were there service was almost non-existent. One time we asked to sit on the patio and were directed by the greeter to seat out there. After about 20-30 minutes I had to go back inside and ask if someone was going to wait on us. They said that didn't know we were eating there even though they handed us all menus.

I am glad that I used my giftcards there a few months ago when you guys mentioned that they might be closing.
Padre
Human Relations
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:53 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by Padre »

Coyote wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:30 pm Just found out that Bill Barstow got tired of the poor service Dudley's had turned into so he bought out the (15?) other co-owners. He doesn't want.anything that looks like Dudley's so everything is being removed, even the carpet. Bill is from Detroit, so he wants to open a Detroit Style Pizza place with a taproom. Wants to.open it by mid January.
I know we talked about it once before, but I just looked it up. Detroit Style is square, thick cut pizza. Not my style. I don’t like a lot of extra bread.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Dudley's Pizza & Tavern (Aksarben Village)

Post by Coyote »

Self serve pizza, order at the counter/bar and it will be delivered to your table. 29 beers on tap, mostly local.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036581
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Post by Brad »

garyomaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:53 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Post by garyomaha »

A photo of their pizza (sent in the latest Aksarben Cinema email) sure looks a lot like La Casa pizza. It may taste different and someone earlier said the crust is thick (which La Casa is not) but the photo has a "La Casa vibe" to it.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:50 pm Backlot Taphouse
https://www.backlottaphouse.com/
Definitely a place we’ll have to check out...


Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036581
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Post by Brad »

Now Open!
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Post by Coyote »

20200122_154307.jpg
Pepperoni
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11634
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Post by skinzfan23 »

Is that pizza? The end of the crust looks all burnt.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Post by Louie »

skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:46 pm Is that pizza? The end of the crust looks all burnt.
That's typical of Detroit-Style Pizza.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036581
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Post by Brad »

Here is a photo from Backlot's FB page:

Image
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Post by Coyote »

20200123_143555.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036581
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Post by Brad »

No more patio?
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11634
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:20 pmNo more patio?
Good observation...wonder why they would remove the patio if that is true. It was always busy when the weather is nice.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Backlot Taphouse (Aksarben Village) old Dudley's

Post by Coyote »

My guess is that since they are getting a new sidewalk between that building and the new 6700 building, they took that out until the new sidewalk, which was supposed to be poured a few months age. It is supposed to be a family friendly court, but they haven't said what that means.