Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by DTO Luv »

Still looks like it's not going to open anytime soon, but on the other end of the Landmark Center....there were crews cleaning out the former Garden Cafe/Cactus Cafe bay. Maybe it's for a new tennant. Working in the building I know it would be nice to have a restaurant in the building again.
DTO
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by thenewguy »

so what is the deal? Went downtown the other day and parked not far from here and still see nothing going on. Is there going to be?
Go Cubs Go
Ben
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1064
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Location: Westside

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by Ben »

Rumor has it the owners are in financial trouble, and that's what has stalled this process. One of the other bars that they own, 415, is apparently up for sale.

Unfortunately, I'm highly doubtful this project is ever going to open. If they don't have the cash to keep an already established place functioning, I'm highly doubtful that they'll continue to pour money into Zodiak. Hopefully someone realizes what a deal this place would be (as most of the renovations are completed), and snatches it up, and opens it quickly.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by thenewguy »

Ben wrote:Rumor has it the owners are in financial trouble, and that's what has stalled this process. One of the other bars that they own, 415, is apparently up for sale.

Unfortunately, I'm highly doubtful this project is ever going to open. If they don't have the cash to keep an already established place functioning, I'm highly doubtful that they'll continue to pour money into Zodiak. Hopefully someone realizes what a deal this place would be (as most of the renovations are completed), and snatches it up, and opens it quickly.
I think part of the reason 415 may be in trouble is because (at least from my own personal experience) they treat people like |expletive|. I went there with a girl i wanted to date way back when, and apparently the standard clothing i was wearing wasn't good enough, and we left. I understand dress codes and what not, but it could be presented in a better way.
Go Cubs Go
j4nu
Home Owners Association
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:27 pm
Location: Old Market

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by j4nu »

From what I have heard they owners begun spending money on the place and then had trouble getting the liqueur license. After the money was spent it started to hurt the other businesses he was involved with. Seems to make sense from the other rumors floating around on here.
Ben
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1064
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Location: Westside

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by Ben »

j4nu wrote:From what I have heard they owners begun spending money on the place and then had trouble getting the liqueur license. After the money was spent it started to hurt the other businesses he was involved with. Seems to make sense from the other rumors floating around on here.
Yes, there were some liquor license issues, but they had been resolved within a couple of weeks. Its purely a $ thing now.....
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Omaha

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by OmahaChef »

Someone had signed on to handle the food end of this bar, and a few weeks ago, moved all of his kitchen equipment out of the building. Not a good sign.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Omaha

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by OmahaChef »

For the last week there has been a LOT of activity at this place. Workers are there every day including weekends. The metal railings that were up all along the front have been removed, and the black railings have been put up on the side at the corner of Farnam & 11th, as they were once before. They have also been working inside. Not sure what is up.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
the1wags
County Board
Posts: 3853
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:43 am
Location: Denver

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by the1wags »

Maybe they will open by New Years this year. :lol:
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Omaha

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by OmahaChef »

Same black pickup is there every day of the week, doing stuff. Friday night (as in LATE...grrrr) and Saturday, they cut a thin trough in the sidewalk, and placed electricity from the building to all the trees, with outlets for lights.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
windsor
Human Relations
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:04 am
Location: Omaha

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by windsor »

Why does this location always fail. Is it a poor location, poor management, or something different. I would think that with all the people in this city that think its an inherent right to park close to the door, that this location offers some of the best parking in the Old Market with all the parking on Farnam Street and all.
where the corn meets the concrete
RegisResident
Home Owners Association
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by RegisResident »

From what I heard it is very expensive and most establishments would need to be packed 4-5 nights a week to cover the costs... that was a few years ago so they may have lowered the rent.

There is definitely something going on in the space- the other day when I drove by on my way home from work there were a couple of beer company trucks (I believe a boulevard and bud truck). I'm guessing they were either installing installing beer taps or cleaning out the old ones.

Today when I drove by there was a carpet cleaning company that was working inside.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Omaha

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by OmahaChef »

I saw the beer trucks and the carpet cleaning trucks also. The new railing has been completed so there is an outdoor seating area railed off and connected to one of the front doors. Unrelated....MUD is replacing the water line on 11th Street and ripping up all the brick. Grrrrr...
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
windsor
Human Relations
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:04 am
Location: Omaha

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by windsor »

Why the Grrrrr? There is no way they will be able to do anything but replace the brick. They are not going to fill the hole with asphalt.
where the corn meets the concrete
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Omaha

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by OmahaChef »

You are 100% correct. No asphalt...no brick....they filled the holes with concrete on Saturday. About a year or so ago, there was a request for bids for redoing 11th street, including compatibility with the look of 11th in the Old Market. Part of me wonders if this is utility work prior to that project.

In the meantime, the black pickup truck is at this potential bar site 7 days a week, all day, every day, working.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Omaha

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by OmahaChef »

The new name for this place is IRIE. Billed in the help wanted ad as Omaha's Premier New Dance Club. They are having a hiring open house this Sunday for bartenders, servers and a latin dance instructor.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Ben
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1064
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Location: Westside

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by Ben »

OmahaChef wrote:The new name for this place is IRIE. Billed in the help wanted ad as Omaha's Premier New Dance Club. They are having a hiring open house this Sunday for bartenders, servers and a latin dance instructor.
Did anyone go (or know anyone that went)? I'm dying to see what this place will be like, and when it'll open....

No offense to the Max (which I love on occasion, when headed with a co-ed group), but it'll be nice to have a mainstream dance option in the Old Market again. 415 is a bit techno for my taste. Say what you want about the trashiness of the old Cactus Cafe (and Parrot Bar, which closed before I moved here), but they served a purpose, and were popular with people wanting a mainstream/top 40/hip hop dancing option in the Old Market.
stabone99
Home Owners Association
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:22 pm

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by stabone99 »

I walk by this place nearly daily and it appears very close to opening. They now have beer signs that are up and lit up at night. The interior looks like it's all done. Hopefully IRIE will be opening soon! :D
j4nu
Home Owners Association
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:27 pm
Location: Old Market

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by j4nu »

This place looks like it may be cool but just the physical building itself will never allow it to be a full fledged club anywhere near the Max. There just isn't room.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by RegisResident »

I'm pretty sure this place is open- in the evenings usually all the neon signs are on and there is open sign on above the door. I haven't been yet but I'm curious to see it.

I think this place could be a dance club because there is lots of space- it has the main floor, a balcony and then another full floor- I think the top floor also has a bar along with the main floor. I think the main reason for the failures have been because they were not well run businesses and the rent is really high. Just my 2 cents :)
Ben
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1064
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Location: Westside

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by Ben »

RegisResident wrote:I'm pretty sure this place is open- in the evenings usually all the neon signs are on and there is open sign on above the door. I haven't been yet but I'm curious to see it.
Yup, looks like they had their soft opening this Tuesday according to Omahanightlife.com Here's some pictures: http://omahanightlife.com/gallery/irie

Also, here's an interesting post from craigslist, looking for bands / DJs. Gives a pretty good idea of what they're going for as far as music:
craigslist.com wrote:The theme is "Happy Dance" All music with a "Dancie" feel is welcome.Will feature Reggae, Funk, Jam Band, and Latin music. NO GANGSTA RAP OR TECHNO is ALLOWED. Other Genres may inquire about our 3rd floor for private bookings with a 200 person occupancy
ADMINS: Can someone change the title of this thread to IRIE? Zodiak is no longer....
Last edited by Ben on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by DTO Luv »

No techno? Are they trying to fail?
DTO
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:48 pm
Location: Nashua, NH

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by omahastylee459 »

From Omaha Night Life:
Irie is Omaha's Newest multi-level club with a vibrant atmosphere and calm environment. Here is a little preview of what to expect when opening the doors of Irie!
In my experience, people looking for a dance club arent looking for a calm environment, I guess I am partial to the Max though.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by thenewguy »

...as in "evertin' irie"?

I still don't see this bar working out. I don't see why, from a location & design standpoint, but based on anything else that's been there, i can't see it making it. Here's to hoping, though!
Go Cubs Go
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm sure I'll check it out. Just from the sound of it it seems like they might be going for a 30+ dance crowd as opposed to those in their 20's.
DTO
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by thenewguy »

there were some photos taken at the soft opening. I managed to find this one:

Image
Go Cubs Go
User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by Bosco55David »

Sounds like a fun place. I'll have to check it out when I get back to Omaha.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by thenewguy »

went last night for a little bit, it's good to see that there was decent business there. It was what i would consider busy, but i over heard one of the guys saying, "it's going to be so much better when business picks up." I guess it's all relative. Not exactly my flavor, but my wife and her friends thought it was cool so whatever. Decent looking people, but no signs of DD's...sorry Big E. :)
Go Cubs Go
User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by Bosco55David »

I can't speak for Big E, but I know I'll settle for D's and large C's :mrgreen:
RegisResident
Home Owners Association
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by RegisResident »

So, I noticed that Irie got a really big awning for it's front door- pretty ugly if you ask me, green, yellow and red. But... I also noticed that now it says Irie Bar & Grill... has anyone been there and tried the food? My gf and I went there when they first opened and the drinks were good and not super expensive but I don't think they had food at that point.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036581
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

D&D (Formerly Irie,Zodiak, Parrot's, Varsit11th Street)

Post by Brad »

New Name again, Denim and Diamonds.

Here is a website for their KC location:
http://www.denimanddiamondskc.com/
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2807
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:13 pm
Location: 68102

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by nebport5 »

So another shat kicker club, which isn't their one right around the corner?
HuskerDave
Library Board
Posts: 348
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:24 pm
Location: West-central Omaha

Re: D&D (Formerly Irie,Zodiak, Parrot's, Varsit11th Stre

Post by HuskerDave »

Brad wrote:New Name again, Denim and Diamonds.

Here is a website for their KC location:
http://www.denimanddiamondskc.com/
Brad, I don't suppose you know a contact person for this bar?? I know you're pretty well connected, and I, of course, play with a country band...
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036581
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: D&D (Formerly Irie,Zodiak, Parrot's, Varsit11th Stre

Post by Brad »

HuskerDave wrote:Brad, I don't suppose you know a contact person for this bar?? I know you're pretty well connected, and I, of course, play with a country band...
Nope, didn't even know about the bar until the other night when I saw the sign the project up on to the side of the building with a light projector.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036581
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by Brad »

Now a Mexican restaurant....
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036581
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by Brad »

Maria Sangria, Formerly Denim and Diamonds, Formerly Club Irie

Old Market nightclub could be first target of ordinance aimed at trouble spots

http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 460%2F1694
Juan Perez Jr. / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Officials link frequent weekend crowd disturbances and fights in and around the area of the restaurant and bar directly to the bar's operations.

“The people in Omaha and the business owners in the Old Market are looking to us on the City Council, asking 'Can't you do something?'?” Melton said.

Maria Scalise, the bar's owner, said she's not the only business owner who has encountered trouble downtown. Disturbances near her restaurant often spill over from other popular downtown watering holes, she said, which partly leads crowds to gather around 11th and Farnam or 12th and Howard Streets.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10818
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by iamjacobm »

T Henry's is worse.
cp jay 07
Human Relations
Posts: 734
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:31 am

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by cp jay 07 »

iamjacobm wrote:T Henry's is worse.
Personally I think O is the worst out of all of them, lotta trouble in front of that place at 2 AM.

T Henry's is hit and miss, I have been down there on nights where yeah it is out of hand and I have been down there on nights where it actually isn't to bad on a Friday and Saturday.

I personally have never seen this Maria Sangria place busy, I think it is just getting a bad rap because of what Irie used to be and having O across the street.

Also I did see that Bar Rescue is coming to Omaha and looking for Bars to film at, I don't think there is a better canidate than this place to have a bar rescue at. In the Old Market and the location is always struggling, plus the name sucks. Bring John Taffert here and lets see what happens.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: The Big O

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by guy4omaha »

I eat out way too much so I have seen a lot of restaurants. The good, the bad and everything in between. But I usually try to give everyone the benefit of doubt. Because my first experience at Maria Sangria's was so bad the first time, I tried them again not once, but twice more in the effort to give them a chance to improve. My third time there was the worst. Sorry to say this place is the worst restaurant I have been to in terms of both food and service. Especially the service.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by nativeomahan »

I spoke to a city council woman yesterday about this place. The police are fed up with all the troubles the bar upstairs causes them. Right now they dedicate 10 officers to patrolling the block with this restaurant/lounge each Friday and Saturday night, and they are tired of the manpower drain. Apparently the city never issued them a certificate of occupancy. It was an oversight, but the city wants them to clean up their act or shut down, and they aren't willing to wait much longer.
This location is truly snake bitten.