South Street

Capital city news and discussion.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

South Street

Post by mrsticka »

Here in Lincoln, there's a South Street. And it's on the south side of town. How fitting. But there's no North Street on the north side. Why not?
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: South Street

Post by almighty_tuna »

In the original platting of Lancaster by Jacob Dawson dated August 6th, 1864 there was a North Street. Other non-numbered streets in that original plat were Nebraska, Saline, Washington, Main, Lincoln, College, High, and Locust.

*source:

Hayes, A.B. & Cox, Sam D. (1889) History of the City of Lincoln, Nebraska. Lincoln, NE: State Journal Company
Chapter 11, page 142
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: South Street

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: South Street

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, I guess that answers his question LOL...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: South Street

Post by almighty_tuna »

Based on Coyote's map, which is pre-interstate (which means pre-1957) I went looking for other maps and found that North St. existed for about a mile between North 14th and North 27th along what is now known as Superior St. Based on a 1903 map it looks like it originated as part of the plat for the Marsden Hill neighborhood. It coexists with Superior St. until the mid to late 1940s. My guess is that plat for the Marsden Hill was not incorporated into the city of Lincoln until that time and North Street was then changed to Superior St.

If you head further east along that road it eventually becomes Jackson St. I suppose that was part of the original plat for Havelock and as it was annexed in 1930 and assimilated into the city, Jackson St. also became Superior. Havelock Ave remains east of US 6.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: South Street

Post by Coyote »

That was what I surmised. This is a map from 1940 so I was guessing at some point after that, North became Superior.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: South Street

Post by almighty_tuna »

Here's 1945. Looks like the end is near for North Street.The next map I could find was 1953 and that section of town was obscured by the placement of the compass and graphic scale. Also, the 1924 map shows a VERY prolific streetcar network all the way out to Havelock.

https://ibb.co/katTCH
Image
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: South Street

Post by Coyote »

Looking at the map I posted, and being a west O kid, I never knew of this Capitol Beach Amusement Park...

PhotoFiles: A roller coaster and thrill rides at Capitol Beach
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: South Street

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:14 pm Well, I guess that answers his question LOL...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
It sure does. I didn't know US 6 had a city route either.