Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
I just got back from Harbor Freight, and I hadn't been there in a long time. I guess I kind of forgot about it, but it is basically an adult male's playground. I needed a tarp and a couple other things, and I can't believe I forgot about this place and how cheap it is. I spent $30, whereas if I went to Lowe's, Home Depot, etc., it probably would have been $80. Speaking from my experience with Harbor Freight, their electrical machinery pretty much blows, so if you're only gonna use a power tool in a limited capacity, I'd go there for it. But their hand tools, also in my experience are a-okay, especially the ones that don't have moving parts.
So I'm now seeking discussion on hardware stores and home improvement stores. What is your preferred?
Of the big three, I'd have to go Lowe's, Home Depot, then Menards, in that order. I'd say ACE Hardware barely registers my meter, but it does sometimes. And Harbor Freight, like I said is kind of an amusement park for me. Like I can't believe they can sell some of their stuff so cheap, it almost is amusing... Until it breaks down haha...
Thoughts?
So I'm now seeking discussion on hardware stores and home improvement stores. What is your preferred?
Of the big three, I'd have to go Lowe's, Home Depot, then Menards, in that order. I'd say ACE Hardware barely registers my meter, but it does sometimes. And Harbor Freight, like I said is kind of an amusement park for me. Like I can't believe they can sell some of their stuff so cheap, it almost is amusing... Until it breaks down haha...
Thoughts?
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
The Lowes on 75th and Dodge is my go to. Ace Hardware is closer but usually only stop in there for something quick. There is no Home Depot near me. Menards is just a disaster. If you see me at Menard's its because I couldn't find something at Lowes and Menard's has it, which seem to happen from time to time.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
Yup, Menards has its niche for me, but I loathe them. Home Depot is okay-ish. I'd have to say my split is about 75% Lowe's, 22% Home Depot, and 3% Menards.
Ace is a little in a different league. They're not bad, but small. I've never bought a power tool there. I mainly go there for nostalgia, as if I recall correctly, Lowe's and Home Depot only entered Omaha in the early 2000's. So as a young kid, Ace was the place (haha). They have a meritable gardening selection though.
Then Harbor Freight is mainly for fun and kinda goofy, but they backdoor have some good stuff for cheap.
Ace is a little in a different league. They're not bad, but small. I've never bought a power tool there. I mainly go there for nostalgia, as if I recall correctly, Lowe's and Home Depot only entered Omaha in the early 2000's. So as a young kid, Ace was the place (haha). They have a meritable gardening selection though.
Then Harbor Freight is mainly for fun and kinda goofy, but they backdoor have some good stuff for cheap.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
Hobo Freight as Derek calls it on Vice Grip Garage.
Don't forget back before we had Lowes and Home Depot we had Payless, which is where a lot of people got lumber.
Don't forget back before we had Lowes and Home Depot we had Payless, which is where a lot of people got lumber.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110956
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
Lowes leads the pack with HD a distant second. Menards is only if there is a desperate need.
When it comes to tools only one of the first places I look is at Northern Tool
https://www.northerntool.com/stores/omaha-nebraska.htm
When it comes to tools only one of the first places I look is at Northern Tool
https://www.northerntool.com/stores/omaha-nebraska.htm
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4746
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
I am not ashamed, I love Harbor Freight. I work on cars for fun, and their automotive related stuff have been huge money savers and have been perfectly fine.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
I got a floor jack from them about a decade ago, still works great.ita wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:45 am I am not ashamed, I love Harbor Freight. I work on cars for fun, and their automotive related stuff have been huge money savers and have been perfectly fine.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
I'm not ashamed either. That place is so much fun for me. And I agree, their wrenches and stuff like that are just fine and are huge money savers.ita wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:45 am I am not ashamed, I love Harbor Freight. I work on cars for fun, and their automotive related stuff have been huge money savers and have been perfectly fine.
-
bigredmed1
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1689
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
Their bad rep comes from the plethora of use once and chuck it stuff. If you know what you are looking for, or you only need the tool once, it's ok.
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3275
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
I’m going to derail this thread a moment and ask what kind of car(s) you possess and are working on?ita wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:45 am I am not ashamed, I love Harbor Freight. I work on cars for fun, and their automotive related stuff have been huge money savers and have been perfectly fine.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
Yeah, I've done that before. I've had good luck with their hand tools, but not so much their power tools.bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:21 am Their bad rep comes from the plethora of use once and chuck it stuff. If you know what you are looking for, or you only need the tool once, it's ok.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4746
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
I've done insurance salvage cars and CL junkers, mostly old economy cars and imports. Here's a recent list. Currently have a 05 92x Aero on jack stands, have had Volvos 850 T5, 240 and 940T, Geo Metro, Civic Wagon, Mazdaspeed3, and Dodge Neon. Those are some over the last 5 or so years. I currently drive an old Yukon I got on a trade for the Metro. Rusty, and has issues, but still runs for now while I button up the Saab.TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:30 amI’m going to derail this thread a moment and ask what kind of car(s) you possess and are working on?ita wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:45 am I am not ashamed, I love Harbor Freight. I work on cars for fun, and their automotive related stuff have been huge money savers and have been perfectly fine.
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3275
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
I admire this list of cars and wish I had this skill. Teenage/early 20s me really wanted to own something rare and fun yet cheap to purchase, but always talked myself out of it given unknown repair costs. At various times I was trying to figure out how I could buy and maintain an '80s Porsche 924, a late '90s Saab 900, a (specific) 1992 Alfa Spider, a VW Corrado, an E49 3-series, and a B7 A4, but never went through with it. Of course a couple of the cars I went with instead cost an arm and a leg to repair anyway..ita wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:46 amI've done insurance salvage cars and CL junkers, mostly old economy cars and imports. Here's a recent list. Currently have a 05 92x Aero on jack stands, have had Volvos 850 T5, 240 and 940T, Geo Metro, Civic Wagon, Mazdaspeed3, and Dodge Neon. Those are some over the last 5 or so years. I currently drive an old Yukon I got on a trade for the Metro. Rusty, and has issues, but still runs for now while I button up the Saab.TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:30 amI’m going to derail this thread a moment and ask what kind of car(s) you possess and are working on?ita wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:45 am I am not ashamed, I love Harbor Freight. I work on cars for fun, and their automotive related stuff have been huge money savers and have been perfectly fine.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
I try and hit up the local Ace Hardware to "Support Local," but outside of that I usually go to Lowe's as it's the closest and they have a veteran discount.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110956
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
I get that many Ace stores are local franchises but I dId a quick search and there are around 2,000 Lowes locations worldwide and over 5,200 Ace locations. Both employ local people so there is that. This is one "shop local" that I am not sure I follow.ChadJK wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:51 am I try and hit up the local Ace Hardware to "Support Local," but outside of that I usually go to Lowe's as it's the closest and they have a veteran discount.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
I believe Lowe's are all owned by corporate while the Gretna Ace Hardware is a locally-owned franchise. You're right though. They all employ local people, contribute to local sales and property taxes, and so forth.nebugeater wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:56 amI get that many Ace stores are local franchises but I dId a quick search and there are around 2,000 Lowes locations worldwide and over 5,200 Ace locations. Both employ local people so there is that. This is one "shop local" that I am not sure I follow.ChadJK wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:51 am I try and hit up the local Ace Hardware to "Support Local," but outside of that I usually go to Lowe's as it's the closest and they have a veteran discount.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110956
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
Correct on the Franchise. You probably know that the owners of the one in Gretna also own the one in Springfield. They are also moving the current McKinney's location in the future. They already own the building.ChadJK wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:01 amI believe Lowe's are all owned by corporate while the Gretna Ace Hardware is a locally-owned franchise. You're right though. They all employ local people, contribute to local sales and property taxes, and so forth.nebugeater wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:56 amI get that many Ace stores are local franchises but I dId a quick search and there are around 2,000 Lowes locations worldwide and over 5,200 Ace locations. Both employ local people so there is that. This is one "shop local" that I am not sure I follow.ChadJK wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:51 am I try and hit up the local Ace Hardware to "Support Local," but outside of that I usually go to Lowe's as it's the closest and they have a veteran discount.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
ProgKingHughesker
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 178
- Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:32 pm
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
Is McKinney's throwing in the towel when the new HyVee opens or are they moving?nebugeater wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:15 amCorrect on the Franchise. You probably know that the owners of the one in Gretna also own the one in Springfield. They are also moving the current McKinney's location in the future. They already own the building.ChadJK wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:01 amI believe Lowe's are all owned by corporate while the Gretna Ace Hardware is a locally-owned franchise. You're right though. They all employ local people, contribute to local sales and property taxes, and so forth.nebugeater wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:56 amI get that many Ace stores are local franchises but I dId a quick search and there are around 2,000 Lowes locations worldwide and over 5,200 Ace locations. Both employ local people so there is that. This is one "shop local" that I am not sure I follow.ChadJK wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:51 am I try and hit up the local Ace Hardware to "Support Local," but outside of that I usually go to Lowe's as it's the closest and they have a veteran discount.
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
Slow-motion retirement for the owners, it was my understanding that they'd wind it up upon Fareway opening.ProgKingHughesker wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:59 pm
Is McKinney's throwing in the towel when the new HyVee opens or are they moving?
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110956
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
MCkinney's announced their retirement long before Hyvee was even announced. The Building has been sold for a long time and they are leasing it back a month to month.damonhynes wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:22 pmSlow-motion retirement for the owners, it was my understanding that they'd wind it up upon Fareway opening.ProgKingHughesker wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:59 pm
Is McKinney's throwing in the towel when the new HyVee opens or are they moving?
I believe that Fairway factors into when they close as long as there is not a major repair expense. That window looks to have passed though with Fairway opening on March 30.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
I asked one of McKinney's long time younger employees a few months ago if they had a firm closing date. She seemed completely confused as to what I was talking about. So, I mentioned Gretna Ace Hardware had bought the building and the rumor going around was that when Fareway opened that McKinney's would be closing permanently and Gretna Ace Hardware taking over their spot. This was all news to her. I'm not sure if she was just feigning ignorance (I'm not sure what the motivation would be for that) or if she seriously was unaware of any of that.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Hardware/Home Improvement Store Discussion
I got burned today. Went to return something at Harbor Freight, didn't have my reciept, had the card though. Didn't matter. They are not as forgiving as the big three. No receipt no return. That's okay, as I kind of expected that outcome, and I think that's the way it should be everywhere. Luckily it was just a $20 tarp that I didn't need need, but can use some time in the future.