I just read that Frosty's Ice Cream on 172nd & Center is closing -
https://growomaha.com/news-briefs/
They said they cited economic challenges over the past few years. I may be mistaken, but I drive by this place 5 days a week. I don't believe it's been a "Frosty's Ice Cream" for a year... or at least not much longer than that. It was a Helados or some other ice cream business beforehand.
It's disappointing to see them close, regardless... I just wasn't sure if they were speaking in general times (ie, the economy has stunk) or if they were specifically referring to their business struggling for the last few years.
Frosty's Ice Cream (172nd & Center) - CLOSED
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2143
- Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
- Location: Omaha
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4707
- Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Frosty's Ice Cream (172nd & Center) - Closing
That retail strip has always been somewhat of a revolving door, with the exception of Grand Fortune Chinese.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2143
- Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
- Location: Omaha
Re: Frosty's Ice Cream (172nd & Center) - Closing
100% true - was surprised that places like Famous Daves couldn't make it - Tanners was OK, I don't know anyone that wanted to go to Twin Peaks. Now it's another breakfast/lunch joint which I totally don't understand the hype here... how many different places does Omaha need to get eggs, bacon or a club sandwich???Garrett wrote: Tue Oct 07, 2025 10:47 pm That retail strip has always been somewhat of a revolving door, with the exception of Grand Fortune Chinese.
I think the UPS store has been stable along with the Chinese Place. Otherwise, they can't keep anything in there.
-
TheSeventhBrat
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 214
- Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:59 am
Re: Frosty's Ice Cream (172nd & Center) - Closing
Or it could be they opened an ice cream store with a Dairy Queen about 100 feet away.djc311 wrote: Tue Oct 07, 2025 8:50 pm I just read that Frosty's Ice Cream on 172nd & Center is closing -
https://growomaha.com/news-briefs/
They said they cited economic challenges over the past few years. I may be mistaken, but I drive by this place 5 days a week. I don't believe it's been a "Frosty's Ice Cream" for a year... or at least not much longer than that. It was a Helados or some other ice cream business beforehand.
It's disappointing to see them close, regardless... I just wasn't sure if they were speaking in general times (ie, the economy has stunk) or if they were specifically referring to their business struggling for the last few years.
-
TheSeventhBrat
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 214
- Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:59 am
Re: Frosty's Ice Cream (172nd & Center) - Closing
When I worked at that Baker's, Twin Peaks was usually pretty backed. And all the waitresses would come in and buy smokes.djc311 wrote: Wed Oct 08, 2025 12:50 pm100% true - was surprised that places like Famous Daves couldn't make it - Tanners was OK, I don't know anyone that wanted to go to Twin Peaks. Now it's another breakfast/lunch joint which I totally don't understand the hype here... how many different places does Omaha need to get eggs, bacon or a club sandwich???Garrett wrote: Tue Oct 07, 2025 10:47 pm That retail strip has always been somewhat of a revolving door, with the exception of Grand Fortune Chinese.
I think the UPS store has been stable along with the Chinese Place. Otherwise, they can't keep anything in there.
-
OverlookedFarm
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:13 pm
Re: Frosty's Ice Cream (172nd & Center) - Closing
Not buying the economy stinks argument when you have been in biz for about 6mo. You way overestimated the market and setting up in the same parking lot as your main competition was a very bold move.
The fact is, people are gun shy on overpaying for "fancy" ice cream with a bunch of mixins, teppanyaki roller, custards, yogurts, you name it and leaving the experience unsatisfied.
The beauty of ice cream, much like a burger, is it's simplicity. This is why DQ has a very very narrow offering.
The fact is, people are gun shy on overpaying for "fancy" ice cream with a bunch of mixins, teppanyaki roller, custards, yogurts, you name it and leaving the experience unsatisfied.
The beauty of ice cream, much like a burger, is it's simplicity. This is why DQ has a very very narrow offering.
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2505
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm
Re: Frosty's Ice Cream (172nd & Center) - Closing
Did Helados Locos rename themselves to Frosty's Ice Cream? I believe they're owned by Javi's Tacos.
-
OverlookedFarm
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:13 pm
Re: Frosty's Ice Cream (172nd & Center) - CLOSED
Yes and Yes.ChadJK wrote: Mon Oct 13, 2025 7:17 pm Did Helados Locos rename themselves to Frosty's Ice Cream? I believe they're owned by Javi's Tacos.