Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Chicago via Omaha
Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood
What is the law against building height in the downtown Lincoln area, there's a height constraint because of the Capital, right?
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10815
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago
koberaptor
Home Owners Association
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:47 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
koberaptor
Home Owners Association
Worst law ever
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:59 am
koberaptor wrote:Worst law ever
It definitely has resulted in some shorter buildings. One of I know for sure is the current Wells Fargo building downtown (formerly NBC bank), they wanted to build something that would have been taller than the US Bank building (fromerly Firstier) but were shot down by the city.

By the way if you didn't know, the NBC bank building was actually designed by I.M. Pei and is one of my favorite buildings downtown regardless the lack of height.
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003383
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha
koberaptor wrote:Worst law ever
Image
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City
koberaptor wrote:Worst law ever
Nope. Countless other cities have the same restriction, and they are arguably some of the best in the country, IE DC and Madison. And look at how awesome a lot of European cities are, without being known for Skyscrapers, like London and Paris.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
Isn't there a law in Philadelphia that says buildings can't be taller than Lincoln's top hat or something like that?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village
Santa Fe has a limit of three stories IIRC.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:59 am
jessep28 wrote:Isn't there a law in Philadelphia that says buildings can't be taller than Lincoln's top hat or something like that?
They used to but I believe it was dropped in the 80s or so.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:59 am
pharvey0829 wrote:I agree with the law because they want the Capitol building to be the dominant feature of Lincoln's skyline. However, I think they should build other buildings up to the 275 foot limit allowed by the law.
I'm fine either way. There are cities I like, some are tall and some are short and dense.