User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10814
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
So I have noticed multiple of the TP4L locations got a fresh coat of paint and big "Mega Saver" signs. Did they get bought out or are just decide to go with a less trashy sounding name? Either way they look better than they did before.
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
I'm not aware that the company has been sold. They are probably just updating the brand. The store on 108th and Maple was built as a Mega Saver.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10814
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Where the Runza was is gone as well as the property next to it, there is a big hole with pipes coming up smack in the middle. Anyone know what is going there?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
It was on Grow Omaha last Saturday, but I can't remember what they said...
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003378
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha
It was in the Future clear for only one of area Borders sites article in the OWH:
Barbara Soderlin, World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:Runza out, Mega Saver in

A Runza and a carwash at the corner of Northwest Radial and Hamilton Street have been demolished to make way for a gas station and convenience store.

The Mega Saver gas station will have at least 12 pumps and a Cricket wireless store, said Farrukh Rakhimov, vice president of the family-owned business that operates Tobacco & Phones 4 Less stores and gas stations around Omaha.

Rakhimov said all the 15 Tobacco & Phones 4 Less locations will be transitioned to the Mega Saver name.
camy2511
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 8:06 am
camy2511
New to the Neighborhood
Does anyone know whats going up at 120th & Pacific?
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
There are just demo permits at that intersection for now.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
debradomayer
Library Board
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
debradomayer
Library Board
camy2511 wrote: ↑Sun May 06, 2018 8:08 am Does anyone know whats going up at 120th & Pacific?
If you mean the southwest corner, it's going to be a Kum & Go or a QT.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Mega Saver
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Coyote wrote: ↑Sun May 06, 2018 10:44 amMega Saver
If you are correct then let's all pray they put in another European deli and not a cell phone store in the station. Gas station perogis are surprisingly tasty.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Glad to see something go into that parcel.. It’s been empty for a couple of years now...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm Glad to see something go into that parcel.. It’s been empty for a couple of years now...
I'm going to miss those rugs...
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Coyote wrote: ↑Sun May 06, 2018 3:18 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm Glad to see something go into that parcel.. It’s been empty for a couple of years now...
I'm going to miss those rugs...
Agreed! Drove by that spot a gazzilion times.. Always thought I should have stopped and bought something :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Sun May 06, 2018 4:58 pm
Coyote wrote: ↑Sun May 06, 2018 3:18 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm Glad to see something go into that parcel.. It’s been empty for a couple of years now...
I'm going to miss those rugs...
Agreed! Drove by that spot a gazzilion times.. Always thought I should have stopped and bought something :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Whaaaa? You never bought a Velvet Elvis???
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Coyote wrote: ↑Sun May 06, 2018 7:59 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Sun May 06, 2018 4:58 pm
Coyote wrote: ↑Sun May 06, 2018 3:18 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm Glad to see something go into that parcel.. It’s been empty for a couple of years now...
I'm going to miss those rugs...
Agreed! Drove by that spot a gazzilion times.. Always thought I should have stopped and bought something :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Whaaaa? You never bought a Velvet Elvis???
No, lol. But if you purchased one, I wouldn’t mind if you put it on display :banger: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
The place we're talking about is where there was always the yard ornaments and windmill type stuff, right? If its a Mega Saver I will LOL because these used to be Tobacco & Phones for Less (TP4L as we called it) and are highly associated with ghetto areas.

Mega Saver has a good model and they are definitely working their way out. So good for them.
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
The one on 42nd and Grover has a Russian and Baltic grocery store. We need some cherry perogis access in the hood. So come on Eastern European food. Don't need a T-Mobile burner store.
obvious2677
Library Board
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:43 pm
obvious2677
Library Board
bigredmed1 wrote: ↑Mon May 07, 2018 6:33 am The one on 42nd and Grover has a Russian and Baltic grocery store. We need some cherry perogis access in the hood. So come on Eastern European food. Don't need a T-Mobile burner store.
I believe the guy who owns Mega Saver is Russian or Eastern Bloc.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Busguy2010 wrote: ↑Mon May 07, 2018 2:09 am The place we're talking about is where there was always the yard ornaments and windmill type stuff, right?
Yep. That’s the place.. Along with rugs, etc...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
obvious2677 wrote: ↑Mon May 07, 2018 7:52 am
bigredmed1 wrote: ↑Mon May 07, 2018 6:33 am The one on 42nd and Grover has a Russian and Baltic grocery store. We need some cherry perogis access in the hood. So come on Eastern European food. Don't need a T-Mobile burner store.
I believe the guy who owns Mega Saver is Russian or Eastern Bloc.
I don't know why but I always associate Mega Saver with cigaretters so I have never been to one. If I need gas I just drive by and look for a Kwik Shop, Kum and Go or something else.

Greg
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Greg S wrote: ↑Mon May 07, 2018 11:04 am
obvious2677 wrote: ↑Mon May 07, 2018 7:52 am
bigredmed1 wrote: ↑Mon May 07, 2018 6:33 am The one on 42nd and Grover has a Russian and Baltic grocery store. We need some cherry perogis access in the hood. So come on Eastern European food. Don't need a T-Mobile burner store.
I believe the guy who owns Mega Saver is Russian or Eastern Bloc.
I don't know why but I always associate Mega Saver with cigaretters so I have never been to one. If I need gas I just drive by and look for a Kwik Shop, Kum and Go or something else.

Greg
You’ve given me an idea for a new topic in the General Forum :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
RockHarbor
Planning Board
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Silver State
User avatar
RockHarbor
Planning Board
Greg S wrote: ↑Mon May 07, 2018 11:04 am
obvious2677 wrote: ↑Mon May 07, 2018 7:52 am
bigredmed1 wrote: ↑Mon May 07, 2018 6:33 am The one on 42nd and Grover has a Russian and Baltic grocery store. We need some cherry perogis access in the hood. So come on Eastern European food. Don't need a T-Mobile burner store.
I believe the guy who owns Mega Saver is Russian or Eastern Bloc.
I don't know why but I always associate Mega Saver with cigaretters so I have never been to one. If I need gas I just drive by and look for a Kwik Shop, Kum and Go or something else.

Greg
Funny, I would go to Mega Saver just to get that green pop, Surge. I was hooked on it, and they sold it. I like it better than Mountain Dew. (Now, I hardly drink pop, even diet pop, to keep weight off...) Anyways, one time I stopped for gas, at one in West Omaha, and I stood in line going on for 10 minutes, waiting to pay for my gas, and finally I burst out "Excuse me... Can I just pay for my gas?" (The situation was so odd & testing, it almost felt like one of those "Punked" episodes.) These poor 2 girl workers were pulled between deli orders, and selling cell phones, and they couldnt even get to the gas line. This lady, who was shopping for a cell phone with her husband, turned around and said to me in a snotty tone: "Oh my gosh, you're so rude. You're whats wrong with America." And, I said back something like: "Umm...nobody stops at a gas station and has to wait to pay for their gas in a line that is not moving for almost 10 minutes, while a couple shops & asks questions about different cell phone models. Really?! Thats not normal. Nobody has time for that." Then, I think I told the girls as I was paying "I am sorry. It is not your fault. They need more people working in here with a gas station, a deli, and a cell phone shop." My comment made them jump to, and our gas line cleared up fast -- because I had sense & logic on my side. Because of the wacky experience, I dont think I ever went back there for gas again. I like them, though, and all. They have an interesting mix of stuff, it feels refreshingly different, and they are often really nice... ***Ugh, I cannot stand women that I can tell pull their husbands around "on a leash", and are "the boss", especially ones that dont work, and especially ones that have no hesitation to butt in and say some snotty comment to me. They learn quickly I am not the same type of "weak man" as their husband, and I have no problem standing up to them.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
This Mega Saver will also be a drive thru where you can pick up a meal and drinks.
Same with the new Mega Saver on 72nd St.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Coyote wrote: ↑Sat May 12, 2018 4:27 pm This Mega Saver will also be a drive thru where you can pick up a meal and drinks.
Same with the new Mega Saver on 72nd St.
I believe many of their existing stores have them too. I know 60th and Grover, 42 and Dodge and the newish store on Saddlecreek and Hamilton all have drive through windows.
User avatar
RockHarbor
Planning Board
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Silver State
User avatar
RockHarbor
Planning Board
Brad wrote: ↑Sat May 12, 2018 8:37 pm
Coyote wrote: ↑Sat May 12, 2018 4:27 pm This Mega Saver will also be a drive thru where you can pick up a meal and drinks.
Same with the new Mega Saver on 72nd St.
I believe many of their existing stores have them too. I know 60th and Grover, 42 and Dodge and the newish store on Saddlecreek and Hamilton all have drive through windows.
They have a drive thru now? I can just picture people saying in the speaker: "Yeah, I'll take a sandwich, a soda, some incense, some perfume, and a cell phone." (Kidding). I just hope they have plenty of workers. Let's hope...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
RockHarbor wrote: ↑Sat May 12, 2018 9:39 pm They have a drive thru now? I can just picture people saying in the speaker: "Yeah, I'll take a sandwich, a soda, some incense, some perfume, and a cell phone." (Kidding). I just hope they have plenty of workers. Let's hope...
I don't think they have a speaker, I think its all order at the window. I have never been as a customer. I was a passenger in a car that stopped for a Redbull once.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Brad wrote: ↑Sat May 12, 2018 9:48 pm
RockHarbor wrote: ↑Sat May 12, 2018 9:39 pm They have a drive thru now? I can just picture people saying in the speaker: "Yeah, I'll take a sandwich, a soda, some incense, some perfume, and a cell phone." (Kidding). I just hope they have plenty of workers. Let's hope...
I don't think they have a speaker, I think its all order at the window. I have never been as a customer. I was a passenger in a car that stopped for a Redbull once.
Yeah. It’s an order at the window from what I recall..

Like I said a week or so ago, it’s nice to see something of substance going up at this parcel..that’s been dead as a door nail for nearly 2 years...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Really? Seems like those giant metal animals were just there last summer?
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Brad wrote: ↑Sun May 13, 2018 9:58 pm Really? Seems like those giant metal animals were just there last summer?
They were. The gas station that was there never competed with Andersen's and the mechanic shop that took over the space never seemed to get off the ground. I live in the area and never got the sense that they marketed very well.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
bigredmed1 wrote: ↑Mon May 14, 2018 1:55 pm
Brad wrote: ↑Sun May 13, 2018 9:58 pm Really? Seems like those giant metal animals were just there last summer?
They were. The gas station that was there never competed with Andersen's and the mechanic shop that took over the space never seemed to get off the ground. I live in the area and never got the sense that they marketed very well.
Yeah.. Agreed. I live in the area too. I drive right past that parcel every morning on the way to work. As strange as it sounds, it’s almost as if the owners of that mechanic shop intended for it to NOT do business/succeed. Even positive experience, word of mouth, would bring repeat customers back in who are loyal to the business. I’m sure this was not the case, but it was an odd happenstance imo...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm
User avatar
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation
As long as that Broncos is not closing I think this area is going to be alright. Now if Broncos closes lives will be destroyed. The world as some once knew it would never be the same. The suicide rate in the area would spike. God forbid the day Broncos ever closes. We now return you to your Mega Saver commercial.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
I almost felt that way when the Baskin Robbins (31 Flavors) closed at the same location as Broncos..

Broncos has one of the best Tenderloin sandwiches in Omaha. They used to have the best french fries back in the day.. This said, I haven’t ate at that Broncos location in probably 8 years...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Mon May 14, 2018 6:34 pm I almost felt that way when the Baskin Robbins (31 Flavors) closed at the same location as Broncos..

Broncos has one of the best Tenderloin sandwiches in Omaha. They used to have the best french fries back in the day.. This said, I haven’t ate at that Broncos location in probably 8 years...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Their chicken easily beats KFC and most other places I have eaten at. The fries are still tasty. Never knew that BR had a store there. That was before my time.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
bigredmed1 wrote: ↑Tue May 15, 2018 7:30 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Mon May 14, 2018 6:34 pm I almost felt that way when the Baskin Robbins (31 Flavors) closed at the same location as Broncos..

Broncos has one of the best Tenderloin sandwiches in Omaha. They used to have the best french fries back in the day.. This said, I haven’t ate at that Broncos location in probably 8 years...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Their chicken easily beats KFC and most other places I have eaten at. The fries are still tasty. Never knew that BR had a store there. That was before my time.
The last time I had fries at Broncos they were so greasy, I couldn’t finish them. I’ve heard good things about their fried chicken.. I’ll have to give that a try someday..

And regarding Baskin Robbins, yep, they had a store which was at the strip parcel basically right next to where the Broncos is today. They were there through most of the 80’s.. but I think around 1990 or the early 90’s, that location closed..

In any case, let’s hope this new Mega Saver brings some life back to the 120th and Pacific intersection...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bbinks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm
bbinks
Parks & Recreation
That lot seems small for the typical Mega Saver.

I can't recall the family's name that had the Phillips 66, but used their shop for repairs a few times. Jimmy was his first name.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
6015 SF convenience store.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
bbinks wrote: ↑Wed May 16, 2018 2:55 pm That lot seems small for the typical Mega Saver.

I can't recall the family's name that had the Phillips 66, but used their shop for repairs a few times. Jimmy was his first name.
I got my first oil change there with my first car I bought in the 70's because of their reputation.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Update on this location...

Denny's, Sprigs, Charlies on the Creek, (Demolition) Quick Trip, and now a mega saver.

Someone on Twitter said the former QT Kitchen area now displays bongs and paraphernalia.

Seems strange QT bailed on a location that they seemingly dumped a lot of money in to over the years, and on my occasional visits, the placed seemed busy.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
That is extremely weird they would ditch that location. As you said it was always busy and in a pretty desirable location.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
So this is a little weird. All the Quik Trip locations are owned by "QUIKTRIP CORPORATION" or something along those lines.

12/13/2007 "QUIKTRIP CORPORATION" purchased the land for the Maple location.
6/3/2008 "QUIKTRIP CORPORATION" Sold the property to "Pied Creek"
3/14/2014 "Pied Creek" sold the property to "RODDIMEYER III LLC"

Google "RODDIMEYER III LLC" and it turns out its owned by Tennis Star Andy Roddick... WTH?
https://moneyinc.com/andy-roddick-business-growth/
Andy ventured into real estate with the help of his business partner Phil Meyers, and together they established Roddimeyer III LLC which is listed as a foreign limited liability company headquartered in Paradise Valley Arizona.