User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
We are woefully behind other cities in youth athletic complexes but this is a small start:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/city-of ... 88a47.html
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Tranquility center fundraising to start not soccer but tennis…


Omaha Tennis Association fundraising to restore Koch Tennis Center


There is a new fundraising effort that could help bring the Nebraska State Tennis Championship back to Omaha. The state of conditions at the Koch Tennis Center at 124th and West Maple Road wasn’t looking good. The head of the Omaha Tennis Association told 6 News that she wasn’t surprised when the Nebraska School Activities Association moved the Class-A Tennis Tournament from Omaha to Lincoln. That ended 63 years of having the tournament in Omaha. The Association has been working with the city for 5 to 10 years about conditions at the Koch Tennis Center. The Omaha Tennis Association has since launched a fundraising effort to help restore the tennis center.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council

Tranquility Park


Tranquility Park is a large (340 acre) park in West Omaha with great facilities. It features 8 baseball fields, 17 soccer fields, and 24 tennis courts. Other services include shelters, restrooms, a playground and open spaces. The Tranquility Park Mountain Bike Trail, the first authorized off-road biking trail in an Omaha Park, is a 6 mile course available to mountain bikers during normal park hours. Admission is free. The park is open year round.

Image
thejdgates
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:06 pm
thejdgates
New to the Neighborhood
KETV has posted the story: https://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-inve ... k/44301334

TL;DR:
Omaha is spending $54 million to transform a city park into a top youth multi-sport complex.

The project also involves new hospitality and retail facilities near Tranquility Park, which has 17 soccer fields and eight baseball fields, with more fields to come. Mayor Stothert said the park needs more quality fields for all players and to host big tournaments. Visit Omaha said the park could bring in $78 million a year from new events.

Tranquility Commons will offer entertainment, shopping, hotels and restaurants between Maple and Fort streets on North 120th Street. (Renderings in the video linked above.)
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
thejdgates wrote: ↑Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:07 pm KETV has posted the story: https://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-inve ... k/44301334

TL;DR:
Omaha is spending $54 million to transform a city park into a top youth multi-sport complex.

The project also involves new hospitality and retail facilities near Tranquility Park, which has 17 soccer fields and eight baseball fields, with more fields to come. Mayor Stothert said the park needs more quality fields for all players and to host big tournaments. Visit Omaha said the park could bring in $78 million a year from new events.

Tranquility Commons will offer entertainment, shopping, hotels and restaurants between Maple and Fort streets on North 120th Street. (Renderings in the video linked above.)

Trying to figure out exactly where this will be? North of existing soccer fields? Are they taking out Schmidley's?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Greg S wrote: ↑Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:12 pm Trying to figure out exactly where this will be? North of existing soccer fields? Are they taking out Schmidley's?
The park is huge and the soccer fields only take up one corner of it. There is a large area across the creek from Schmidley's is not even used.

NOTE: I accidently included Schmidley's in my green line but its NOT owned by the city.
tranquility.png
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
ita
County Board
Wow, this looks like what Yates is envisioning for NEX Crossing. Stothert and the city just undercut his plan, or is there space for multiple complexes like this?
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee
Louie
County Board
ita wrote: ↑Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:24 pm Wow, this looks like what Yates is envisioning for NEX Crossing. Stothert and the city just undercut his plan, or is there space for multiple complexes like this?
I wouldn't call it underrcutting, I'd call it getting their ducks in a row first.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
ita
County Board
Louie wrote: ↑Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:30 pm
ita wrote: ↑Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:24 pm Wow, this looks like what Yates is envisioning for NEX Crossing. Stothert and the city just undercut his plan, or is there space for multiple complexes like this?
I wouldn't call it underrcutting, I'd call it getting their ducks in a row first.
I think I misunderstood the article I read in OWH. They are not really adding many fields, 17 to 16 multi use fields and 8 to possibly 11 baseball/softball fields. It's mostly just transitioning from natural to synthetic fields and making other improvements.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
I wonder if the city has hotel operators and restaurants on board for this proposal, or if it is all just wishful thinking.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
I swear we need a counter for all of these tournament attracting projects that keep getting proposed around the metro
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:19 am
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation
nativeomahan wrote: ↑Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:58 pm I wonder if the city has hotel operators and restaurants on board for this proposal, or if it is all just wishful thinking.
There is another thread somewhere that had already mentioned the hotel/restaurant going in. It’s going in where Boondockers was. It sounds like it’s beyond the “planning” stage?
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council

Tranquility Commons development to bring restaurants, retail space and more




Tranquility Commons development to bring restaurants, retail space and more

Besides the new renovations at Tranquility Park in Omaha, new hotels, restaurants, and retail are planned along North 120th Street between Maple and Fort Streets. It will be named Tranquility Commons. "This is a community that is going to be bounded by sports," Patrick Mulhall, Tranquility Commons said. "It will really work with this project to allow people to go right next door to eat, shop, play, and stay."
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council

City of Omaha announces $54 million investment to create youth multi-sport complex, urban block




Omaha is investing more than $50 million to upgrade a city park and create a premier youth multi-sport complex. In just a year 45,000 kids run the bases and trek through the grass at Tranquility Park, one that served Omaha for decades. "Youth development, youth opportunities are needed more and more every day everywhere," said Park and Recreations Director, Matt Kalcevich.

The $54 million plans also include new hotels, restaurants and retail for the area called Tranquility Commons, located near North 120th and Maple streets.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Athomsfere
Planning Board
ita wrote: ↑Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:24 pm Wow, this looks like what Yates is envisioning for NEX Crossing. Stothert and the city just undercut his plan, or is there space for multiple complexes like this?
If there is only a need for one, good Job Omaha. Keep pulling people, jobs, and recreation into the city where ever possible!
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2138
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha
djc311
Planning Board
I'm excited for this development - better fields, lower maintenance with the field turf surfaces. Not sure how they're going to lure the retail/commercial/lodging, if it's already in the works, deals signed, etc. Hopefully it all comes together and ends up looking like the drawings they've shown.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
almighty_tuna
City Council
/waits for Sen Linehan to question funding for this project but greenlight the Gretna plan
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
ita
County Board
Coyote wrote: ↑Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:31 pm
City of Omaha announces $54 million investment to create youth multi-sport complex, urban block


Omaha is investing more than $50 million to upgrade a city park and create a premier youth multi-sport complex. In just a year 45,000 kids run the bases and trek through the grass at Tranquility Park, one that served Omaha for decades. "Youth development, youth opportunities are needed more and more every day everywhere," said Park and Recreations Director, Matt Kalcevich.

The $54 million plans also include new hotels, restaurants and retail for the area called Tranquility Commons, located near North 120th and Maple streets.
I am so confused about how this is being reported regarding the budget. Does the $50 million include the additional private development? At first blush, $50 million seems high for 'just' park upgrades, but $50 million seems too low for park upgrades and the additional development, at least at the scale presented in the rendering.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2138
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha
djc311
Planning Board
almighty_tuna wrote: ↑Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:28 am /waits for Sen Linehan to question funding for this project but greenlight the Gretna plan
Oh, she's the infamous anti-Mutual Tower person, isn't she? And anti-streetcar...

I live near Gretna and I can say I'm not a fan (of hers).
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
djc311 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:50 am
almighty_tuna wrote: ↑Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:28 am /waits for Sen Linehan to question funding for this project but greenlight the Gretna plan
Oh, she's the infamous anti-Mutual Tower person, isn't she? And anti-streetcar...

I live near Gretna and I can say I'm not a fan (of hers).
Pretty much. It was quite funny seeing her complain about that but then basically write a bill that was tailor made to give $500 million to NEX specifically.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Brad wrote: ↑Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:19 pm
Greg S wrote: ↑Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:12 pm Trying to figure out exactly where this will be? North of existing soccer fields? Are they taking out Schmidley's?
The park is huge and the soccer fields only take up one corner of it. There is a large area across the creek from Schmidley's is not even used.

NOTE: I accidently included Schmidley's in my green line but its NOT owned by the city.
tranquility.png
Yeah I had looked at this map. Kind of what I was getting at was I would think the hotels and retail part would want to be close to 120th. The unused land that the city has is further back. So I thought either they might try to get Schmidley's or I think they might move the fields and the development goes where they are currently? If not the retail development looks like it will have to be a few blocks eat of 120th in that unused area north of the north of the tennis center?
Jimmyd
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:50 pm
Jimmyd
New to the Neighborhood
So does this mean fort from 120th West FINALLY gets widened?
About 20 years late on that one
And on a side note just love going east from 120th to 115th ish and hitting both the those major dips in the left lane!!!!! Come on city
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
I'm not a fan on the parking lots proposed to surround these Tranquility buildings, too much parking lot eyesore.


Still its great to see baby steps taken to rivitalize the area, this is a nice project for doing many things without having to hop from parking lot to parking lot.

Also street widening will not solve the traffic congestion, it is a bandaid solution that is expensive in the long run
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
ArchStanton
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:55 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
ArchStanton
New to the Neighborhood
As someone who has a kid in select soccer (for only a little longer, thank God), these fields already see tons of use and to be honest I'm not a big fan of turf either. I am dubious of the claims that these are going to be a huge out-of-town draw but maybe I'm wrong and if hotels are actually going up because of it, I am definitely wrong. I just remember the Baseball Village in Sarpy was supposed to bring in all these teams and tournaments and did nothing of the sort the last I heard.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:19 am
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation
ArchStanton wrote: ↑Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:16 pm As someone who has a kid in select soccer (for only a little longer, thank God), these fields already see tons of use and to be honest I'm not a big fan of turf either. I am dubious of the claims that these are going to be a huge out-of-town draw but maybe I'm wrong and if hotels are actually going up because of it, I am definitely wrong. I just remember the Baseball Village in Sarpy was supposed to bring in all these teams and tournaments and did nothing of the sort the last I heard.
I believe Baseball Village was the retail/residential portion of Werner Park. The tournament area is north of Cabela’s and I believe was just completed.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
NEDodger wrote: ↑Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:36 pm
ArchStanton wrote: ↑Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:16 pm As someone who has a kid in select soccer (for only a little longer, thank God), these fields already see tons of use and to be honest I'm not a big fan of turf either. I am dubious of the claims that these are going to be a huge out-of-town draw but maybe I'm wrong and if hotels are actually going up because of it, I am definitely wrong. I just remember the Baseball Village in Sarpy was supposed to bring in all these teams and tournaments and did nothing of the sort the last I heard.
I believe Baseball Village was the retail/residential portion of Werner Park. The tournament area is north of Cabela’s and I believe was just completed.
No Baseball Village is south of Offutt and was a disaster. Bad location and shaky financing. Lots of money lost. Bellevue issued bonds on it. I think the city council got so excited for the development, that they got hoodwinked, It was later damaged by storms but is now I believe up and running again as Premier Village or something like that.

I wouldn't use that as a typical example. Stothert I believe will do more due diligence with the developers for this site as Omaha is much more skilled at larger developments than Bellevue. Omaha is really behind in this area. KC and Des Moines have these types of fields and complexes and host youth tournaments a ton during the summer. Sioux Falls has an incredible set up with a bunch of different sports that fill up there hotels seemingly every weekend June to mid August (and some weekends in May and April). Minneapolis has several of these, the biggest is in Blaine I believe.

The fields in Sarpy near Cabelas will be a good addition as well. You could see big tournaments being played at both.

Greg
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Greg S wrote: ↑Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:46 am
Brad wrote: ↑Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:19 pm
Greg S wrote: ↑Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:12 pm Trying to figure out exactly where this will be? North of existing soccer fields? Are they taking out Schmidley's?
The park is huge and the soccer fields only take up one corner of it. There is a large area across the creek from Schmidley's is not even used.

NOTE: I accidently included Schmidley's in my green line but its NOT owned by the city.
tranquility.png
Yeah I had looked at this map. Kind of what I was getting at was I would think the hotels and retail part would want to be close to 120th. The unused land that the city has is further back. So I thought either they might try to get Schmidley's or I think they might move the fields and the development goes where they are currently? If not the retail development looks like it will have to be a few blocks eat of 120th in that unused area north of the north of the tennis center?
Isn't this at South West corner of 120th & Fort or is that a different development?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Yes, the hotels and entertainment venue are on 120th and Fort and were discussed in this thread:

https://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic. ... 13#p367413
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Brad wrote: ↑Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:09 pm Yes, the hotels and entertainment venue are on 120th and Fort and were discussed in this thread:

https://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic. ... 13#p367413
OK this makes sense. They are using the private land for this, it's not taking up part of the park that the city owns.
CompSci99
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:09 am
CompSci99
New to the Neighborhood
It looks like land is being leveled and cleared on the corner of 120th and Fort Street. Is this part of the new tranquility development?
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Renderings from the Omaha Parks & Recreation Facebook page
Image

Image

Image

Image
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
CompSci99
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:09 am
CompSci99
New to the Neighborhood
Has there been any discussion on if the mountain bike park is staying? Looks like the rendering cuts out the bottom areas of the trail.
InTheRoom
Home Owners Association
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue May 17, 2022 9:52 am
InTheRoom
Home Owners Association
Garrett wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2024 9:24 am Renderings from the Omaha Parks & Recreation Facebook page

Image
Really love the attention to detail on this one with 20 people on the roof of the bathrooms.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
InTheRoom wrote: ↑Fri Nov 22, 2024 9:52 am
Garrett wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2024 9:24 am Renderings from the Omaha Parks & Recreation Facebook page

Image
Really love the attention to detail on this one with 20 people on the roof of the bathrooms.
LOL!!! That's hilarious! Good catch.
User avatar
remline
Library Board
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2024 10:38 am
User avatar
remline
Library Board
InTheRoom wrote: ↑Fri Nov 22, 2024 9:52 am Really love the attention to detail on this one with 20 people on the roof of the bathrooms.
Have I been using parks incorrectly this whole time!? :shock:
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
remline wrote: ↑Fri Nov 22, 2024 1:29 pm
InTheRoom wrote: ↑Fri Nov 22, 2024 9:52 am Really love the attention to detail on this one with 20 people on the roof of the bathrooms.
Have I been using parks incorrectly this whole time!? :shock:
No, just the restroom
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
BIGO88
Library Board
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:16 pm
BIGO88
Library Board
Came across some renderings for the new Curling rink going here. Could see this doing well

https://curlaksarben.com/index.php/abou ... g-facility
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Was on Fort West of 120th, they were removing median.
GenX
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1229
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Location: Omaha
GenX
Parks & Recreation
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Mon Mar 17, 2025 10:02 pm Was on Fort West of 120th, they were removing medium.
Are they keeping small and large?
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2138
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha
djc311
Planning Board
EricHaley wrote: ↑Tue Mar 18, 2025 1:16 pm
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Mon Mar 17, 2025 10:02 pm Was on Fort West of 120th, they were removing medium.
Are they keeping small and large?
:lol: