Home Owners Association
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Okay, although I see the outline as to what's happening on the riverfront development, what I'm wondering is, what is the big picture for it?? Back when I lived in Omaha I heard mention that eventually 'they' were going for a San Antonio Riverwalk type of idea....is that still an accurate comparison?? If so, I would think there would be lots of restaurant, retail and nightclub opportunities ahead as well....
I'm also curious about the rumors of a new Royals stadium downtown?? Is that a likelihood??? What would they do with Rosenblatt?? They've tanked a lot of money into that in recent years....although I'm sure the zoo would love to have more space!!! Are there any links to the discussion of the new Royals stadium??
I'm also curious about the rumors of a new Royals stadium downtown?? Is that a likelihood??? What would they do with Rosenblatt?? They've tanked a lot of money into that in recent years....although I'm sure the zoo would love to have more space!!! Are there any links to the discussion of the new Royals stadium??
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
I don't think a comparison to the riverwalk in San Antonio is possible for Omaha. Tha San Antonio river is a small stream which easily accomodates sidewalks and commercial properties, while the Big MO is a major thoroughfare. Much has been done to connect walking paths along the river as can be seen here:
http://www.backtotheriver.org/default.htm
As for the Blatt, the PCL wants attendance to increase and is asking Omaha to look into plans to renovate or relocate:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=814441
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=950724
What comes out of this is anybody's guess.
http://www.backtotheriver.org/default.htm
As for the Blatt, the PCL wants attendance to increase and is asking Omaha to look into plans to renovate or relocate:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=814441
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=950724
What comes out of this is anybody's guess.
Home Owners Association
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
thanks, Coyote! good stuff....
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: midtown
I have just recently become a member of this "eomaha" list and find the pictures and the discussion fascinating.
I wish our riverfront would become enhanced with more shops and restaurants, but it seems Rick's, the Parks service, the bridge, riverfront place, and gallup have taken up all the space. I have heard the idea of extending the west side of Carter lake to the river along an abandoned railroad track. This would create a nice avenue of shops and walkways as well as water access to and fro. I don't know if this thought holds much water (literally and figuratively). It might be pretty costly. Anybody heard anything similar???
As far as rosenblatt goes, I am guessing it might be replaced when it is time for the NCAA renew their contract- I think that happens around 2010. It might be smart for the city, the royals, and creighton to get together to plan something. I think CU is looking to make adjustments to their setup as well.
Does anybody know how the NCAA would react to keeping the CWS in Omaha if this Casino thing is passed in Nebraska??
I wish our riverfront would become enhanced with more shops and restaurants, but it seems Rick's, the Parks service, the bridge, riverfront place, and gallup have taken up all the space. I have heard the idea of extending the west side of Carter lake to the river along an abandoned railroad track. This would create a nice avenue of shops and walkways as well as water access to and fro. I don't know if this thought holds much water (literally and figuratively). It might be pretty costly. Anybody heard anything similar???
As far as rosenblatt goes, I am guessing it might be replaced when it is time for the NCAA renew their contract- I think that happens around 2010. It might be smart for the city, the royals, and creighton to get together to plan something. I think CU is looking to make adjustments to their setup as well.
Does anybody know how the NCAA would react to keeping the CWS in Omaha if this Casino thing is passed in Nebraska??
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: The Big O
Then Omaha City Council member, Lormung Lo, brought up the idea about 3 to 5 years ago of a canal system of sorts to link the water on the Hearland of America Park and/or Gene Leahy Mall.
Unfortunately Lo was laughed at and publically ridiculed almost immediatlely. It appeared on the surface at least that his idea was not even evaluated.
Without getting into the engineering and financial constraints, I think this could have been the difference maker for the success of the Convention Center/Arena complex, the Old Market and the rest of the Riverfront/Downtown development. Maybe the financial and engineering constraints would prove to be too much but it appeared the idea didn't make it far enough to answer those questions.
We could have our own version of the Riverwalk. We often fail to dream big enough in Omaha it seems to me. To go a step further, you could also revive the Street Car idea and you could have a hub on the south with the zoo, Rosenblatt and Botanical Garden and then have the Old Market, Canal System Entertainment district and the Convention Center/Arena/Hotels/Pedestrian Bridge on the north.
Unfortunately Lo was laughed at and publically ridiculed almost immediatlely. It appeared on the surface at least that his idea was not even evaluated.
Without getting into the engineering and financial constraints, I think this could have been the difference maker for the success of the Convention Center/Arena complex, the Old Market and the rest of the Riverfront/Downtown development. Maybe the financial and engineering constraints would prove to be too much but it appeared the idea didn't make it far enough to answer those questions.
We could have our own version of the Riverwalk. We often fail to dream big enough in Omaha it seems to me. To go a step further, you could also revive the Street Car idea and you could have a hub on the south with the zoo, Rosenblatt and Botanical Garden and then have the Old Market, Canal System Entertainment district and the Convention Center/Arena/Hotels/Pedestrian Bridge on the north.
Human Relations
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm
Any updates on this?
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
Library Board
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am
I think Rick's Boatyard might not last too long.
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102
Rick's is long gone. However, dba "Fig" has applied for a class C liquor license.
Edit: Didn't realize "Fig" is a part of the Luminarium. Set to open in April.
Edit: Didn't realize "Fig" is a part of the Luminarium. Set to open in April.
Library Board
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:36 pm
Location: Midtown
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:19 am
Library Board
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:46 am
Location: Omaha/Shanghai
County Board
Posts: 4331
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs
Is it *supposed* to be called "pictore" in the title? Is it really a 19 year old misspelling that slipped? Lol
Go Cubs Go
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan