User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8179
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
1213 Jones Street - Krug Brewery (SE Corner 13th & Jones)

Someone PLEASE TELL ME this announcement (Alley Poyner Moving) doesn't mean the end of this building:

Image

I know it said they will lease the building, but a rumor I heard a year or more ago had BIG plans for that block, which Alley Poyner was behind. This kind of fits into that plan.

-Big E
Stable genius.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036612
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE
If there are plans for the whole block, they NEED to move that building, not tare it down.... May be they could put it where Frankie Payne's was.
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8179
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
Brad wrote:If there are plans for the whole block, they NEED to move that building, not tare it down...
Or incorporate it into the design of the block/new building.

-Big E
Stable genius.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:13 pm
Location: 68102
Big E wrote:
I know it said they will lease the building, but a rumor I heard a year or more ago had BIG plans for that block, which Alley Poyner was behind. This kind of fits into that plan.
what rumor would that be?




they should build a whole block of buildings like this.
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8179
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
nebport5 wrote:what rumor would that be?
I considered the source fairly trustworthy, but the longer it gets since he told me and the fact that I never heard anything else about it from anywhere else led me to believe it wasn't much more than some wishful speculation. This move by Alley Poyner is the first thing since that gives me reason to believe there was any validity.

Needless to say it would be cool if "it" happened, but I'm going to leave it alone until something else substantial pops up.

-Big E
Stable genius.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Lincoln, NE
CapitalGuy
Human Relations
FOUL - Illegal use of a tease on a message board.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036612
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE
Besides the Alley Poyner building and the Bemis Arts Building, Warren Oil owns the rest of the block.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village
They dare not even think about touching the Krug Brewery Building (1887)

Image
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036612
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE
Coyote wrote:They dare not even think about touching the Krug Brewery Building (1887)

Image
I have always wanted to take that shot in the late afternoon with a HUGE white reflector, really light up the front of the building with the Blue sky behind it.

I suppose that here in 2008, I could learn how to do HDR and do the same thing, but way easier!
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:47 pm
Stupid question here. Where exactly is that building? It looks familiar, but I can't place it.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036612
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE
On the same block as the Bemis Building, just south of the "Main" part of the old market.
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:47 pm
Brad wrote:On the same block as the Bemis Building, just south of the "Main" part of the old market.
Thanks, I guess I need to explore that area a bit more. :)
I have always wanted to take that shot in the late afternoon with a HUGE white reflector, really light up the front of the building with the Blue sky behind it.
Use a fill flash. I'm assuming this building faces north then.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036612
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE
Omababe wrote:
I have always wanted to take that shot in the late afternoon with a HUGE white reflector, really light up the front of the building with the Blue sky behind it.
Use a fill flash. I'm assuming this building faces north then.
For a whole building? Yes, it does face north. I have an awesome flash, but I have never tried it for that.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village
Looking south toward the Bemis building 13th and Jones on the bottom right:

Image
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036612
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE
Here is a Map:
Image
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8179
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
CapitalGuy wrote:FOUL - Illegal use of a tease on a message board.
Sorry... I didn't mean for that to be anything more than an off-the-cuff comment, and I certainly didn't mean for this to get its own thread. I never brought it up before due to the fact that I never gave it any real credence - until APoyner moved. I still don't give it that much credence, nor clear water, nor does it deserve a revival.

I shall now accept my flogging.

-Big E
Stable genius.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4356
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs
i see a bad moon rising... :;):
Go Cubs Go
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:13 pm
Location: 68102
thenewguy wrote:i see a bad moon rising... :;):

Omaha Park 59
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:47 pm
Brad wrote:For a whole building?
Uh-huh! :)
Yes, it does face north. I have an awesome flash, but I have never tried it for that.
It does sound almost counter-intuitive, but remember, you already have quite a bit of light on your subject already, just not enough and the source is from the wrong direction. If you use the guide number alone, even with a huge honking flash at say 100', you will be blowing out the sky to pure white and overexposing the front of the building.

Here's the way I would try it. Meter on the front of the building, then stop down 1-2 stops as a starting point. Then set the flash to manual, full power. Then bracket and select the one that looks best.

That's what I would do, anyway. :)
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036612
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE
I always worry that the flash makes stuff look fake. I was going to try it last evening but there was a guy doing some senior portraits there.
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:47 pm
Brad wrote:I always worry that the flash makes stuff look fake.
If you OD on it, yes, it will look un-natural. You want the flash to accentuate the natural light, not overpower it.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110987
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
Brad wrote:I always worry that the flash makes stuff look fake. I was going to try it last evening but there was a guy doing some senior portraits there.
Didn't want to be a FLASHER with someone around with a camera ! :;):
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036612
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE
BUMP! (Someone brought up this building in another thread.


Image
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Gosh, this building is so beautiful, and such a rarity in Omaha!

This whole site (the Krug Brewery building and the surrounding parking lots) present such a huge opportunity. I've actually thought about it quite a bit.

In terms of short-term possibilities, I think those parking lots would make an EXCELLENT new location for the OM Farmer's Market when the current lots at 11th and Jackson are developed. I'm envisioning more of a permanent structure, even if that is just pavilions at first. For the rest of the time, the space can function as a park. The farmers market in Saratoga Springs, NY is an example of the kind of thing I have in mind (at least with the permanent pavilions).

A couple quick shots from Flickr:



The Krug Brewery building would make the PERFECT cafe/brasserie, with outdoor seating on the side and behind.

This area already has some huge assets: It's so close to the heart of the Old Market and it's right next door to the Bemis, Kaneko, and UNO's new library, plus all the residents at SoMa and soon the apartments at 13th and Jones and 14th and Leavenworth.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11644
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
I agree that the building would be a great space for a cafe.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:13 pm
Location: 68102
nice Brad, looks like a holiday card.
"It's just a rendering."
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4891
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:59 am
I'm pretty sure I would chain myself to that building if anyone ever planned on demolishing it.
User avatar
justnick
Human Relations
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:47 pm
Location: Downtown
wasn't it occupied for a while (like, a week. super short) this summer by some sort of art gallery? Or am I completely delusional?
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8179
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
justnick wrote:wasn't it occupied for a while (like, a week. super short) this summer by some sort of art gallery? Or am I completely delusional?
Nope, that happened, but I couldn't give any better details than what you did.
Stable genius.
Roxy
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:04 pm
The building has been occupied since July 2010 by an advertising agency called The New BLK. They frequently held art gallery events there from 2010-2012. Since 2013 public events have occurred about once or twice a year. The building continues to provide the backdrop to many, many high school graduation photos.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village
Welcome to eOmahaForums Roxy. I didn't know it has been that long since there have not been event there.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10822
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago
They have hosted a couple concerts this summer.
yman97
Home Owners Association
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
yman97
Home Owners Association
This building is actually the Anheuser-Busch depot. It was used when they would ship beer by train from St. Louis to Omaha and then distribute it regionally. You may want to update the title.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036612
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE
yman97 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:00 pm This building is actually the Anheuser-Busch depot. It was used when they would ship beer by train from St. Louis to Omaha and then distribute it regionally. You may want to update the title.
It was originally the Krug Brewery, and later taken over by Anheuser-Busch

See Page 63 of "Building for the Ages" put out by Landmarks Inc.
IMG_8908.jpg
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8179
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
...... Tuna?
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106389
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Image
yman97
Home Owners Association
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
yman97
Home Owners Association
Brad wrote: ↑Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:49 am
yman97 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:00 pm This building is actually the Anheuser-Busch depot. It was used when they would ship beer by train from St. Louis to Omaha and then distribute it regionally. You may want to update the title.
It was originally the Krug Brewery, and later taken over by Anheuser-Busch

See Page 63 of "Building for the Ages" put out by Landmarks Inc.

IMG_8908.jpg
I've seen numerous places stating that was the case but I still don't buy it. Krug was next door and I've seen newspaper articles from 1886-1887 stating that Anheuser-Busch constructed this and the other three buildings on this block. I think the confusion stems from the fact that the manager of Anheuser in Omaha was George Krug (no relation) who used this address in its advertisements. Also, Falstaff bought out Krug not Anheuser-Busch. Either way, feel free to leave it "as is". I wouldn't believe me over Landmark either.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4891
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:59 am
Here is an article from 1887. It does look as though this building was constructed by Anheuser-Busch and the general manager of Anheuser-Busch had the last name Krug.
Image
yman97
Home Owners Association
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
yman97
Home Owners Association
Linkin5 wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 am Here is an article from 1887. It does look as though this building was constructed by Anheuser-Busch and the general manager of Anheuser-Busch had the last name Krug.
Image
Exactly. I expect better research on the part of Landmarks.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11644
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Image

Image