AZCorey
Home Owners Association
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
AZCorey
Home Owners Association
Friend, NE

Post

Before moving to Omaha in 1991, I grew up in Friend, Nebraska, a small town of 1100 people west of Lincoln in Saline County. It's a fairly charming place, and if anyone is ever driving Highway 6 and passes through it, take some photos please! Friend has the world's smallest (according to the Guiness Book of World Records) police station! Actually I think now after 30 years it moved into a bigger place, but it wasn't much larger than a pay toll both at a parking lot. They've got a great old depot, and still have an abandoned opera house that is just sitting there rotting away.....I can't believe no one has tried to restore it.

Please post pics if any of you is ever out in those neck of the woods!
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
Location: West Omaha
eomaha
County Board
Friend, NE

Post

Image

The smallest town with a website? :) http://www.ci.friend.ne.us
projectman
Human Relations
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:44 pm
Location: Millard/Sarpy County
projectman
Human Relations
Friend, NE

Post

I found the website for Omaha, Arkansas :lol:

http://www.omahaweb.net/
AZCorey
Home Owners Association
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
AZCorey
Home Owners Association
Friend, NE

Post

jhuston wrote:Image

The smallest town with a website? :) http://www.ci.friend.ne.us
:lol:

I know.....I'll be there in a couple of weeks for Christmas.....always a culture shock! Good people there, though!
User avatar
Zephyr
Human Relations
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:35 pm
Location: Omaha
User avatar
Zephyr
Human Relations
Friend, NE

Post

I've been through Friend many times on the California Zephyr, but never driven there. Friend was surveyed in November, 1873, and was named in honor of Charles E. Friend, on whose farm the site is located. Mr. Friend was the first storekeeper and postmaster of the town.
AZCorey
Home Owners Association
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
AZCorey
Home Owners Association
Friend, NE

Post

Wow Zephyr! You really did your homework! Most people don't know that about Friend.....

You get an A+ in Friend history!

The old famous saying that you can buy on postcards there is: 'Write A Friend from Friend'
AZCorey
Home Owners Association
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
AZCorey
Home Owners Association
Friend, NE

Post

YEP! That's it, the world's smallest police station! The old Amoco station across the street is now the new police station....they moved into their 'new' facility last year!

I also just went to that website, and I was mistaken, it was 'Ripley's Believe it Or Not' that stated the police station was the smallest, not 'The Guiness Book of World Records'. Sorry! It's been awhile!

awwwwwwwwww....there's no place like home!
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106377
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
almighty_tuna
City Council
Friend, NE

Post

jhuston wrote: The smallest town with a website? :) http://www.ci.friend.ne.us
Nope, Shickley, NE has 361 people and a website with music!! My aunt and uncle live there, my mom graduated from there many moons ago and all my cousins on that side (albeit much more recently than the early 70's!). Sadly, one of the many Nebraska towns who is losing people.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Friend, NE

Post

projectman wrote:I found the website for Omaha, Arkansas :lol:

http://www.omahaweb.net/
Funny story about that...

This fall I was in Branson Missouri. My sister and I were working out in the fitness center of the resort we were staying at and there's this guy in there. Of course, he starts hitting on my sister, as most guys do (gag :x ) and he asks where we're from. Of course, I say "Omaha", no mention of state (Because Omaha's too good to tag the state on the end, right?). So then the guy is like, "Yeah, I drove through Omaha one time. Not a very big town, is it? It seemed pretty dead with not much to do," or something to that effect. I said nothing, but of course was REALLY frustrated and angry with this guy for being so "ignorant". Anyway, come to find out later that Omaha, Arkansas is in the far northern part of the state, near the Arkansas/Missouri border, which is where we were in Missouri. Omaha, Arkansas was less than 20 miles away, so of course, the guy, being from Branson, would assume that's what we meant. So I turned out to be the "ignorant" one :) .
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
DTO Luv
City Council
Friend, NE

Post

When my Granpa was in heck's Angels him and his friends drove by that jail and couldn't beileve how small it was. He's got pictures of them in front of it pointing and laughing. I have driven by it on my trips out west.
DTO
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: The Big O
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation
Friend, NE

Post

Funny story about that...

Omaha, Arkansas is in the far northern part of the state, near the Arkansas/Missouri border, which is where we were in Missouri. Omaha, Arkansas was less than 20 miles away, so of course, the guy, being from Branson, would assume that's what we meant. So I turned out to be the "ignorant" one :) .[/quote]

Arkansas has another town called Oma. It is on a back county paved road southwest of Hot Springs, Arkansas. It has only one Street that crosses the county road. The street's name: Omaha.

I am not a qualified census taker but with 5 houses clustered on this road, my population estimate is for Oma is 11. By the way, if your interested in visiting Oma, you take the county paved road out past the Pettyview dump.

After my post on some other threads, I really shouldn't be including that last paragraph. Let's face it, I am just a bad person. :twisted:
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.