Photographer
Posts: 1036554
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
I thought we had a thread for this?
Western Trails Historic Center
http://lewisandclarktrail.com/section1/ ... ilsCenter/
I happened upon this while on a bike ride the other night. Cool looking place, I have never been in, but I might need to stop by again when they are open and check it out.
Western Trails Historic Center
http://lewisandclarktrail.com/section1/ ... ilsCenter/
I happened upon this while on a bike ride the other night. Cool looking place, I have never been in, but I might need to stop by again when they are open and check it out.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Bennington
Honestly, there's not much in there... other than a few bumper stickers and coffee mugs mocking Nebraska.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
County Board
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Council Bluffs
The last time I was there, I didn't see any of the "offending" items. There's a nice interpretative display inside, and the grounds make for a nice walk.
There are plans to have bison on the prairie portion of the grounds, but depending on how the interstate reconstruction pans out, those plans may be squashed.
There are plans to have bison on the prairie portion of the grounds, but depending on how the interstate reconstruction pans out, those plans may be squashed.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
--William Jennings Bryan
--William Jennings Bryan
Photographer
Posts: 1036554
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
That lake hidden back in there was nice.
I need to head down there again and explore a few more of the trails.
I need to head down there again and explore a few more of the trails.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Man. You and I did about the same ride just a day apart. I was there on Saturday. I also hadn't ever seen that place in person. It's interesting and the grounds are very nice.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Photographer
Posts: 1036554
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
There was a quick mention on Grow Omaha this past weekend that the city of Council Bluffs is acquiring this property from the Federal Government. Not much detail other than they are trying to deicide how best to use it.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
City Council
Posts: 11628
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Curious to see how they change this. I haven't been there in quite a few years but this was always a peaceful place to walk and ride a bike and visit the education center.
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Wow. Their web site looks great and informative....in 1998.
Human Relations
Posts: 925
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 pm
Location: Omaha
Maybe that’s why Council Bluffs wanted to take over. It’s a interesting facility, and could be a value, if well promoted.
County Board
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
The thread about UP's museum got me thinking about this one. It's still closed. Seems like the exhibits could of been part of the National Parks Regional Office at the Riverfront. I know that was built after the museum, but seems redundant being in the same area.
City Council
Posts: 11628
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
I didn't know this was closed. It is a nice little museum but off the beaten path.
Photographer
Posts: 1036554
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
I think there is another thread somewhere. Its been closed a while. I believe the NPS was trying to transfer ownership to someone local (Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, etc).skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:27 pm I didn't know this was closed. It is a nice little museum but off the beaten path.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
County Board
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
It's now being finalized to transfer title to Council Bluffs. There will still be a requirement to use the 189 acres for public recreation, education or similar purposes, so maybe expansion of the sports facilities already there?Brad wrote: ↑Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:42 pmI think there is another thread somewhere. Its been closed a while. I believe the NPS was trying to transfer ownership to someone local (Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, etc).skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:27 pm I didn't know this was closed. It is a nice little museum but off the beaten path.
https://councilbluffs.novusagenda.com/a ... tingID=611
County Board
Posts: 4330
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs
i always thought it would have been great if they could incorporate the museum with a few live bison or something, small pond with some otters, small aquarium, etc. Draw people in with the animals, educate them once they are there.
Go Cubs Go
Human Relations
Posts: 925
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 pm
Location: Omaha
I don’t know, bison need a fair amount of space. And we don’t want to encourage the “Let’s pet the fluffy cow” crowd!