Tunnels

General discussion on all things Omaha.
CloudIndustryAcademy
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:56 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Tunnels

Post by CloudIndustryAcademy »

Hey I kinda searched for this kind of topic but nothing really came up. I'm interested in photographing tunnels around Omaha. I know they exist just want some info on where they are and how to get to them.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Tunnels

Post by almighty_tuna »

I've been looking for some decent tunnels as well around here for a different project. Haven't found anything much yet though!
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Tunnels

Post by Bob from Omaha »

when i was a kid we used to go to elmwood park. there was a tunnel under dodge.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Tunnels

Post by Linkin5 »

Bob from Omaha wrote:when i was a kid we used to go to elmwood park. there was a tunnel under dodge.
There is a tunnel underneath dodge at about 51st street.
CloudIndustryAcademy
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:56 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Tunnels

Post by CloudIndustryAcademy »

cool ill check that out.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Tunnels

Post by Linkin5 »

This subject kind of caught my interest so I have been looking around online. People were stating that there is a tunnel connecting the Orpheum to the Brandeis building, as well as tunnels that connect to Omaha Central from other locations.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10813
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Tunnels

Post by iamjacobm »

I know a few people said they had walked through really long tunnels at Memorial Park. I never saw them for real though.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Tunnels

Post by almighty_tuna »

What about car-sized tunnels?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036558
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Tunnels

Post by Brad »

almighty_tuna wrote:What about car-sized tunnels?
The dodge street bridge over saddle creek kind of looks like a tunnel?

The 50th street Tunnel under the railroad tracks.
User avatar
l-dude
Home Owners Association
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 am
Location: Lincoln

Tunnels

Post by l-dude »

I'm going to avoid the other tunnel connotations you might read on here.
In the UNO, Elmwood park area, check out the pedestrian tunnel next to the Elmwood Park Grotto, which is just southeast of the park Pavillion (east side of the park, about a block (walking distance) south of the swimming pool). The UP RR underpasses on 7th, 13th and 14th streets (esp. 7th & 13th...by the main P.O. downtown) are somewhat tunnel-like. Some of the storm water outfall culverts along the Mo. riverfront (not in the immediate downtown area) are quite large and tunnel-like, but don't do any sight seeing until late summer, or during/after rainstorms, as these will carry water the rest of the year (also no "light at the end of the tunnel" effect). These are the only ones I can recollect at this time.
A couple of other good examples are now gone....the "crime zone" pedestrian tunnel under the 52nd & N.W. Radial intersection, south of Benson High (filled in recently by the city due to it's bad rep) and the most well known ex tunnel of them all, the two lane 84th Street tunnel under the UP RR main line, just south of the I-80 interchange, probably the most old world, mountain pass-like tunnel there was in the city at that time.
Last edited by l-dude on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Tunnels

Post by bigredmed »

The UP over pass over 120th used to be a cool tunnel. Most car tunnels are history in Omaha.
User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4430
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Tunnels

Post by S33 »

The only thing I could think of in Omaha worth noting are the massive drainage tunnels in midtown, which seems to be hotspots for "urban explorers". I do hear that there is a really cool abandoned train tunnel about 750' long in Dawes County, Northwest Nebraska. Close to the ghost town of Belmont.
User avatar
l-dude
Home Owners Association
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 am
Location: Lincoln

Tunnels

Post by l-dude »

Linkin5 wrote:This subject kind of caught my interest so I have been looking around online. People were stating that there is a tunnel connecting the Orpheum to the Brandeis building, as well as tunnels that connect to Omaha Central from other locations.
At one time (through the 60's anyway) all the building basements on the west side of 16th from almost Howard to north of Dodge were connected, including under the cross streets, Harney, Farnam, Douglas & Dodge. I don't remember a tunnel under 16th to the City National Bank Building (Orpheum), but there could have been. Also in Downtown currently, the under Dodge St. pedestrian tunnel from the parking garage at 13th to the UP Headquarters building between 14th and 15th on Dodge (but I don't know if this is open to the Public).

Brad, I forgot the 50th Street UP underpass! Is that still only 2 lanes?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036558
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Tunnels

Post by Brad »

l-dude wrote:Brad, I forgot the 50th Street UP underpass! Is that still only 2 lanes?
Yes, still there. Back in the day there was at least 3 of them. 50th, 84th and 120th.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036558
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Tunnels

Post by Brad »

From the Mangelsens Website:

Image
GetUrban
Planning Board
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Tunnels

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote:I know a few people said they had walked through really long tunnels at Memorial Park. I never saw them for real though.
There are huge storm drainage tunnels under Dodge from the creek at the southeast corner of the Memorial park connecting to the creek south of Dodge, and also from the smaller creek between St. Margaret Mary's and Memorial park to the creek south of Dodge. There is also an even longer one on the south end of Elmwood park going under Pacific street under part of the former Aksarben area, connecting into the little Papio creek. My friends & I used to explore those as kids. The Aksarben one was long enough that you couldn't see the end until you were more than midway through. After heavy rains they fill up pretty quick.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4621
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

Tunnels

Post by Uffda »

There is a small walking tunnel that goes under the street in my neighborhood.... Villages of Glenbrook - 78th & Sorensen
User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4430
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Tunnels

Post by S33 »

There is a little tunnel on the knolls golf course going under 108th street. Got a golf cart stuck in there once, so I remember it vividly.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036558
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Tunnels

Post by Brad »

S33 wrote:There is a little tunnel on the knolls golf course going under 108th street. Got a golf cart stuck in there once, so I remember it vividly.
How many beers were involved in that?
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003378
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Tunnels

Post by BRoss »

There are four under Eagle Run Dr running through Champions.
User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4430
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Tunnels

Post by S33 »

Brad wrote:
S33 wrote:There is a little tunnel on the knolls golf course going under 108th street. Got a golf cart stuck in there once, so I remember it vividly.
How many beers were involved in that?
There were beers. But I think it was mainly motivated by the scene in Austin Powers where he gets his cart stuck in the hallway of his underground lair. :)
GetUrban
Planning Board
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Tunnels

Post by GetUrban »

S33 wrote:
Brad wrote:
S33 wrote:There is a little tunnel on the knolls golf course going under 108th street. Got a golf cart stuck in there once, so I remember it vividly.
How many beers were involved in that?
There were beers. But I think it was mainly motivated by the scene in Austin Powers where he gets his cart stuck in the hallway of his underground lair. :)
Oh, so you were trying to turn around in the tunnel? :D
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Ben
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1063
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Westside

Tunnels

Post by Ben »

I wouldn't necessarily call them "tunnels", but yes, there are basement level passageways connecting many of the downtown buildings. I believe that you can get from all the way up by the First National data center (north of Capitol), down through the old First National tower/Doubletree, to the main First National Tower Building. From there, I believe there are also connectors south to the Brandeis, and potentially further south. For security reasons, I believe that some of these are First National restricted keycard access... My wife, who works in the tower, has about a 10 minute walk to her car, without ever going outside...

While not pedestrian friendly, I'm fairly sure there are utility tunnels connecting practically all buildings downtown, as they're almost all served by the ESC steam generating facilities in North Downtown and southwest of downtown.
User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4430
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Tunnels

Post by S33 »

GetUrban wrote: Oh, so you were trying to turn around in the tunnel? :D
I think so, honestly don't remember totally, it was some years ago. lol
CloudIndustryAcademy
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:56 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Tunnels

Post by CloudIndustryAcademy »

thanks for the heads up. sound like ill have some exploring to do
User avatar
derog
Home Owners Association
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:43 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Tunnels

Post by derog »

Ben wrote:I wouldn't necessarily call them "tunnels", but yes, there are basement level passageways connecting many of the downtown buildings. I believe that you can get from all the way up by the First National data center (north of Capitol), down through the old First National tower/Doubletree, to the main First National Tower Building. From there, I believe there are also connectors south to the Brandeis, and potentially further south. For security reasons, I believe that some of these are First National restricted keycard access... My wife, who works in the tower, has about a 10 minute walk to her car, without ever going outside...

While not pedestrian friendly, I'm fairly sure there are utility tunnels connecting practically all buildings downtown, as they're almost all served by the ESC steam generating facilities in North Downtown and southwest of downtown.
I took a screenshot and drew out some tunnels that are in downtown. New tunnels, not cool old tunnels, but still cool.

Image
bbinks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Tunnels

Post by bbinks »

The creepy one was on 120th near "L" before it was torn out and widened.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036558
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Tunnels

Post by Brad »

bbinks wrote:The creepy one was on 120th near "L" before it was torn out and widened.
It was the same as the one currently on 50th and the one that was at 84th back in the day. They were all built at the same time in 1908 when the Lane Cutoff was built. Here are some photos of them building the Lane Cutoff near 84th Street http://www.up150.com/timeline Click on the 1908 tab.
User avatar
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:47 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Tunnels

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

There is a tunnel connecting the OWH Press building to their warehouse across the street...Its actually pretty cool, they have a robot that runs back and forth bringing them paper to load onto the presses. Pretty cool if you have never been down there.
User avatar
Asten
Human Relations
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha

Tunnels

Post by Asten »

Brad wrote:
l-dude wrote:Brad, I forgot the 50th Street UP underpass! Is that still only 2 lanes?
Yes, still there. Back in the day there was at least 3 of them. 50th, 84th and 120th.
144th as well - was a very narrow 2 lane tunnel. I grew up in the neighborhood next to it. They dynamited it when they were rebuilding 144th as Oak View was being build - around 1990 - on a Sunday morning. Cracked dozens of windows in our neighborhood.
User avatar
l-dude
Home Owners Association
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Tunnels

Post by l-dude »

As one who participated in this (semi) flashback blog... (me = Omaha, late 50's & 60's) I appreciate your interest/comment, especially since I'm also no longer in the big o. Comment as often as you can as this group is mostly younger than my generation.
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003378
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Tunnels

Post by BRoss »

Came across this today. It appears there are some tunnels underneath UNO:
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Tunnels

Post by bigredmed »

In Lincoln, UNL had a system of walkable tunnels that connected to a few crawlable tunnels off the sides. These would go from the State Capitol building all the way north to Harper-Schram-Smith dorm complex. It was fun walking around city campus. We popped out of one tunnel into Memorial Field and played a few downs.
Bugeater
Library Board
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Omaha

Re:

Post by Bugeater »

Brad wrote:
bbinks wrote:The creepy one was on 120th near "L" before it was torn out and widened.
It was the same as the one currently on 50th and the one that was at 84th back in the day. They were all built at the same time in 1908 when the Lane Cutoff was built. Here are some photos of them building the Lane Cutoff near 84th Street http://www.up150.com/timeline Click on the 1908 tab.
Whoa...I had no idea there were steel trestles underneath all the dirt along that stretch. That is trippy.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Tunnels

Post by bigredmed »

The Bostwick Frohardt collection has some photos of the trains with dirt that the UP used to dump dirt through the track in order to pile up the Lane Cutoff.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036558
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Tunnels

Post by Brad »

bigredmed wrote:The Bostwick Frohardt collection has some photos of the trains with dirt that the UP used to dump dirt through the track in order to pile up the Lane Cutoff.
Image

Image
Bugeater
Library Board
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Tunnels

Post by Bugeater »

Or is that wood structure? And if so, how has it not rotted out after 100 years?
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036558
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Tunnels

Post by Brad »

Bugeater wrote:Or is that wood structure? And if so, how has it not rotted out after 100 years?
I am sure 95% of it is gone, but you still see a piece here and there. The wood wasn't ever meant to be permanent.
Bugeater
Library Board
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Tunnels

Post by Bugeater »

Brad wrote:
Bugeater wrote:Or is that wood structure? And if so, how has it not rotted out after 100 years?
I am sure 95% of it is gone, but you still see a piece here and there. The wood wasn't ever meant to be permanent.
Ah, I gotcha. I suppose by the time the wood had deteriorated the dirt was stable enough to support the massive weight of the trains. I imagine they had to add to it quite a bit over the initial years as it settled. Fascinating stuff.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036558
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Tunnels

Post by Brad »

You know... That make me wonder....

Today when we design anything, maximum lifts are 8 inches.... I wonder how they handled all this dirt at once?

However when they did it, this bridge was only for fill dirt. When the line opened, it was double tracked, this bridge was single track. I am guessing when the embankment was built,the top of the bridge was removed and the final grade was established and the double track was laid.