Kansas.com wrote: New promo bills Kansas City as place for 'New Discoveries Daily'
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A new marketing slogan pushing Kansas City as a tourist destination, due for official unveiling next month, boosts the community as a place offering "New Discoveries Daily."
Jill Raines, marketing director for the Convention and Visitors Bureau of Greater Kansas City, unveiled the new slogan and accompanying three-color image of the local skyline this week. It's subject to last-minute change before the bureau's annual luncheon on April 13, but board members gave overwhelming support with a show of hands on Tuesday.
Raines said "Kansas City: New Discoveries Daily" won out over another slogan "Kansas City: Open for Discovery," which is still favored by some.
"I liked 'Open,'" said the bureau's president, Rick Hughes. "People got hung up and thought it was more a discovery of the past than our future and all the new things downtown."
The bureau's chairman, Bill George, said he thought the "Open for Discovery" line "put us too much back into cowtown," while the "New Discoveries" slogan "stands on its own and will do wonderful things for the city."
The new slogan replaces "A flavor all its own," adopted in 2001 and marketed with barbecue images and a glowing neon heart logo. For about three years before that, boosters promoted Kansas City as a place with "No mountain. No beach. No problem." Raines figures the new slogan should be good for at least five years.
Gene Brown, a marketing and advertising professor at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, called the new slogan good, fresh and colorful.
"And it's got a great message," he said. "The purpose of tourism is discovery. I always like the direct approach. It's a very positive message."
The convention and visitors bureau kicks of a $1 million advertising campaign next month. It includes a television blitz promoting Kansas City as a weekend and leisure visit destination, and will air in markets such as Oklahoma City, Wichita, Kan., Springfield, Mo., Omaha, Neb., and Des Moines, Iowa.
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
Why don't we do stuff like this? I have seen tons of Missourri Commercials on tv and I'll shoot myslef in the head if I hear that Adventureland song again. We have plenty to offer that people should make a drive for. Also some adds aimed at locals would be great too.
DTO
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:39 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
It would be nice if all the Convention and Visitors Bureaus in the metro could work together on one COMBINED marketing effort for tourism, like the KC metro does. If each wants to do additional marketing beyond that, fine, but it's time to stop being so territorial between cities.
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
okay... I have to say that slogan kind of sucks.
but yeah, why don't we do that stuff, etc...
but yeah, why don't we do that stuff, etc...
-
guy4omaha
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:06 pm
- Location: The Big O
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
That slogan is the worst I can remember. It is difficult to say. At least "Omaha: Rare. Well Done." was not a tongue twister.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
Yeah, Omaha: Rare Well Done was bad but for completely different reasons (i.e. it's cheesy!).
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:39 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
No way, if at least we expand that to proposed slogans, that honor would have to go to ex-IA gov. Terry Branstad's proposed slogan for Iowa in the mid-80s that was supposed to pay homage to the state's education excellence - Iowa: A State of Minds. Mercifully, that one was never enacted.guy4omaha wrote:That slogan is the worst I can remember.
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
The problem with the KC slogan, other than the tongue twister aspect, is that it's vague. Who is discovering what? Is Kansas City discovering things, or the people who go there discovering things? And also it doesn't make any definate statement about KC, like "We're a great city, come visit us!"
I think a better slogan would be like "Kansas City: we'll knock your damn socks off!"
I think a better slogan would be like "Kansas City: we'll knock your damn socks off!"
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:42 pm
- Location: Silver State
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
I think "Open to Discovery" was much better. First of all, it doesn't throw the city back into its cowtown days, it merely is saying "We're open for business and discovery." I agree that the chosen saying is more of a tongue-twister or something.
Looking at KC's old saying "No ocean. No mountains. No problem." reminds me so much of the fact that KC seems to give off an insecure vibe about being located in the Midwest. I like KC, but I think they need to get over that, and stop giving out that vibe. You don't see Omaha, Minneapolis, Des Moines, St. Louis, etc. giving that insecure vibe. Those cities seem more content and proud to be in the Midwest. I think KC will benefit with having that same attitude. Making a big deal over the fact that your NOT insecure, makes you look even more insecure.
Looking at KC's old saying "No ocean. No mountains. No problem." reminds me so much of the fact that KC seems to give off an insecure vibe about being located in the Midwest. I like KC, but I think they need to get over that, and stop giving out that vibe. You don't see Omaha, Minneapolis, Des Moines, St. Louis, etc. giving that insecure vibe. Those cities seem more content and proud to be in the Midwest. I think KC will benefit with having that same attitude. Making a big deal over the fact that your NOT insecure, makes you look even more insecure.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
I actually liked the "Flavor All It's Own" one. The logo for it wasn't bad either.
DTO
-
KCPowercat
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:33 pm
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
I think you guys are looking a little too deeply into this. It's a CVB slogan that will change in 3 years...I've never gone or not gone to a city based on their cheezy CVB slogans. It's a sidenote on the letterhead and an ending to a TV commercial. Heck I still thought "A flavor all it's own" was pretty new and now it's gone.
-
GoWest
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 223
- Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:10 pm
- Location: Omaha
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
I didn't really care for the "Iowa, you make me smile" slogan either. But it did make me kind of chuckle under my breath.icejammer wrote:No way, if at least we expand that to proposed slogans, that honor would have to go to ex-IA gov. Terry Branstad's proposed slogan for Iowa in the mid-80s that was supposed to pay homage to the state's education excellence - Iowa: A State of Minds. Mercifully, that one was never enacted.guy4omaha wrote:That slogan is the worst I can remember.
-
GoWest
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 223
- Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:10 pm
- Location: Omaha
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
I sometimes feel the same about "Great faces, great places, South Dakota".DTO Luv wrote: I'll shoot myslef in the head if I hear that Adventureland song again.
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3281
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:08 am
- Location: St. Louis
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
I don't think either are quite as bad as the commercial West Virginia use to run (probably just on the travel channel) where all these tourists sang that terrible "West Virginia, Mountain Home" song.GoWest wrote:I sometimes feel the same about "Great faces, great places, South Dakota".DTO Luv wrote: I'll shoot myslef in the head if I hear that Adventureland song again.
Is anybody waiting by their mail box with as much anticipation for this year's issue of "The Iowa Traveler's Guide" as I am?
-
DMRyan
- Human Relations
- Posts: 644
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:07 am
- Location: Des Moines, IA
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
^
It's pretty hot trust me!
The Danish Windmill in Elkhorn deserves its own section.
It's pretty hot trust me!
DesMoines Forum: https://urbandsm.com/forum/
-
projectman
- Human Relations
- Posts: 867
- Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Millard/Sarpy County
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
I always liked the South Dakota jingle. It was original and the music and lyrics were really kind of cool too. I think Omaha will step up its marketing efforts soon.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
Omaha's slogan should either be:
"Omaha: Omaha"
Or the slightly longer:
"Omaha: It's Omaha"
"Omaha: Omaha"
Or the slightly longer:
"Omaha: It's Omaha"
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
"Omaha...You Got a Problem With That?"
or
"Omaha...We Got Your Sister Pregnant"
or
"Omaha...We Got Your Sister Pregnant"
-
projectman
- Human Relations
- Posts: 867
- Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Millard/Sarpy County
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
No Swift I think you are mistaking us for New Jersey, where the slogan used to be "What are you lookin at?"
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
-
guy4omaha
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:06 pm
- Location: The Big O
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
Oh man, get me that bumper sticker. By the way, who is your sister?Swift wrote: "Omaha...We Got Your Sister Pregnant"
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
-
KansasCityCraka
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:45 am
- Location: Kansas City
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
You wish!DTO Luv wrote:Kansas City: Wish we were Omaha!
Kansas City Population:
452,496 in city
1,981,639 in metro
452,496 in city
1,981,639 in metro
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
-
KansasCityCraka
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:45 am
- Location: Kansas City
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
I know that's why I said it.DTO Luv wrote:Why wish. We are Omaha.
Kansas City Population:
452,496 in city
1,981,639 in metro
452,496 in city
1,981,639 in metro
-
sokkerdewd
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 159
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:21 am
- Location: West O
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
Sorry to resurrect this one, but...
One of Mayor Fahey's goals for his second term is to nearly double tourism funding. Right now, Omaha spends less on its CVB than Des Moines, and is on par with places like Duluth (1/5 the size, but fairly touristy.)DTO Luv wrote:Why don't we do stuff like this? I have seen tons of Missourri Commercials on tv and I'll shoot myslef in the head if I hear that Adventureland song again. We have plenty to offer that people should make a drive for. Also some adds aimed at locals would be great too.
sokkerdewd
-
sokkerdewd
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 159
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:21 am
- Location: West O
Kansas City to blitz Omaha
Sorry to resurrect this one, but...
One of Mayor Fahey's second-term goals is to nearly double tourism funding. Right now Omaha spends less on its CVB than Des Moines, and is on par with places like Duluth (1/5 the size, but fairly touristy in its own rite.)DTO Luv wrote:Why don't we do stuff like this? I have seen tons of Missourri Commercials on tv and I'll shoot myslef in the head if I hear that Adventureland song again. We have plenty to offer that people should make a drive for. Also some adds aimed at locals would be great too.
sokkerdewd