Eastbound I-80 - 126th Street (Giles Rd) to 96th Street

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003379
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Eastbound I-80 - 126th Street (Giles Rd) to 96th Street

Post by BRoss »

I know this has been brought up in other threads, but I think it deserves its own thread.

Here is the information released by NDOR from their July 18th public meeting:
http://www.transportation.nebraska.gov/ ... andout.pdf
LOCATION: This proposed project is located within the City of Omaha in Douglas County and
consists of expanding the existing I-80 eastbound (EB) lanes of U.S. Interstate 80 (I-80), by
constructing one to two additional lanes between 126th Street and the 96th Street Interchange.

PURPOSE AND NEED: The purpose of this project is to preserve the I-80 transportation asset,
improve the reliability of the transportation system by reducing congestion, and perpetuate the
mobility of the traveling public. The need for this project is based on projected traffic count
information.

SCOPE OF WORK: This proposed I-80 project would add an auxiliary lane by allowing the 126th
Street on-loop to enter I-80 eastbound as the fourth lane. This auxiliary lane would be extended and
would have to exit at the local access road to “L” Street. A third mainline lane would be added to I-80
eastbound beginning just south of “Q” Street and connecting to the third lane added by the existing
eastbound “L” Street on-loop access to I-80. This access to I-80 mainline for “L” Street eastbound
traffic would be closed; the eastbound on-loop traffic from “L” Street must use the new and expanded
Collector Distributor (CD) road constructed north of “L” Street.
The project would also involve bridge
maintenance on the West Papio Creek Bridge. The current signing for access to I-680 northbound
and I-80 eastbound on “L” Street will remain as it is today.
A great video fully explaining the changes (the I-80 part starts at the 3:18 mark):
http://vimeo.com/70589509

Very interesting to say the least.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106377
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Eastbound I-80 - 126th Street (Giles Rd) to 96th Street

Post by almighty_tuna »

Holy enunciation, batman.

Great video though. Explains things nicely.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10815
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Eastbound I-80 - 126th Street (Giles Rd) to 96th Street

Post by iamjacobm »

This part actually sounds great. I80 and L St are terrible right now.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Eastbound I-80 - 126th Street (Giles Rd) to 96th Street

Post by Coyote »

All I can say, is its about time. L St merging into I-80, and I-80 merging to get to I-680 has always been a |expletive|, same with thr I-80 merging into I-680 before Pacific. Those at times can be huge bottlenecks. Just wondering if the commitment cone will still be there (inside joke if anyone remembers).
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3278
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Eastbound I-80 - 126th Street (Giles Rd) to 96th Street

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I still don't think this is necessary. According to Google Maps Traffic, peak rush hour traffic in these areas doesn't get worse than yellow level. Maybe I've just gotten so used to Chicago highways, but in my opinion, yellow is still an acceptable traffic level at rush hour.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106377
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Eastbound I-80 - 126th Street (Giles Rd) to 96th Street

Post by almighty_tuna »

Well there is no comparison to Chicago traffic anywhere in Omaha. What I do see in the morning (heading westbound, thank goodness) is I80 often stacked up to the county line from L street. It's a bottleneck that won't improve unless this work is done.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Eastbound I-80 - 126th Street (Giles Rd) to 96th Street

Post by mrsticka »

The Giles/Harrison exit is actually in County #59. Once you cross the bridge over the creek then you're in County #1. But I think it's a good idea they're doing this. Are they going to add a 4th lane to westbound I-80 from Q to Giles/Harrison? Make the merger of the C/D lane the 4th lane for westbound I-80 and then have it exit at Giles/Harrison?
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003379
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Eastbound I-80 - 126th Street (Giles Rd) to 96th Street

Post by BRoss »

mrsticka wrote:The Giles/Harrison exit is actually in County #59. Once you cross the bridge over the creek then you're in County #1. But I think it's a good idea they're doing this. Are they going to add a 4th lane to westbound I-80 from Q to Giles/Harrison? Make the merger of the C/D lane the 4th lane for westbound I-80 and then have it exit at Giles/Harrison?
That would be nice, but it doesn't seem like it's even on their radar (http://www.transportation.nebraska.gov/projects/).
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Eastbound I-80 - 126th Street (Giles Rd) to 96th Street

Post by mrsticka »

That's still years off? Figures.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Eastbound I-80 - 126th Street (Giles Rd) to 96th Street

Post by nativeomahan »

Construction has begun on this EB project. The bridge widening at the Douglas/Sarpy county line is underway.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Eastbound I-80 - 126th Street (Giles Rd) to 96th Street

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:Construction has begun on this EB project. The bridge widening at the Douglas/Sarpy county line is underway.
I noticed a crane there yesterday.