Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSED

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8993
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSED

Post by Greg S »

143rd and Fort. NE Corner. Went there Friday Night. It had been open a week. Very good Chicago style pizza. It's Giordano's recipe. Not quite as thick but I really enjoyed it. Whenever I go to Chicago, Giordano's and Lou Malnatti's are my two pizza stops. Pizzeria Davlo will not replace those two but it can definitely tide me over between trips.

Greg

http://www.pizzeriadavlo.com

https://www.facebook.com/pizzeriadavlo
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Looks very good, I might have to try it, I have been craving a great deep dish pizza since I was last at Gino's East in Chicago over 2 yrs ago.
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by Omababe »

Giordano's has to be my fave in Chicago. Gino's and Malnati's (only one "t") are great too.

Another one a bunch of us discovered last fall was Leona's on Sheffield.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1321
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by HskrFanMike »

How does it compare to Pudgy's and Uno? I haven't been to a "real" Chicago pizzaria, but what I've have seen is so far superior to that thing they call New York style.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by nebport5 »

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8993
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by Greg S »

HskrFanMike wrote:How does it compare to Pudgy's and Uno? I haven't been to a "real" Chicago pizzaria, but what I've have seen is so far superior to that thing they call New York style.

I've actually never been to Pudgy's. I like Giordano's and Lou's better than Uno, and it's very similar but just not quite as thick as Giordano's.

Greg
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8993
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by Greg S »

One more thing. It might be the worst lit parking lot for a strip center in Omaha.

Greg
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by Brad »

How crowded does this place get on the weekends?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:How crowded does this place get on the weekends?
We got there last night about 6:30pm an it was almost full. Never saw it get completely full, but it did stay steady for a while.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by Brad »

The large Chicago Style meat Pizza:

Image
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by Coyote »

Image


Image
swgiust
Library Board
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by swgiust »

They really need to open for lunch on the weekends. I have wanted to try this place since it opened.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for the photo, now when I head up that way to try it, I at least know what it looks like. And I love Brad's picture too, that pizza makes me want to try it right now.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8993
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by Greg S »

Between the OWH article a few weeks ago and word of mouth, this place is picking up steam. My friend went Saturday night at it was packed. He said a good tip, if you're going Chicago Style, order as soon as you sit down, as it does take about 40 minutes.

I agree, they should be open for lunch on weekends.

Greg
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:Between the OWH article a few weeks ago and word of mouth, this place is picking up steam. My friend went Saturday night at it was packed. He said a good tip, if you're going Chicago Style, order as soon as you sit down, as it does take about 40 minutes.

I agree, they should be open for lunch on weekends.

Greg
Can you call ahead to place the order for dine in? I know on their website, it states that carryout orders are not available when they are busy, but I am wondering if we called ahead to place the order to eat in. We have a new baby and I am not sure if sitting for 45 min for the pizza to cook will work right now, but I really want to try this place.
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4621
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by Uffda »

Greg[/quote]
Can you call ahead to place the order for dine in? I know on their website, it states that carryout orders are not available when they are busy, but I am wondering if we called ahead to place the order to eat in. We have a new baby and I am not sure if sitting for 45 min for the pizza to cook will work right now, but I really want to try this place.[/quote]

When I ate there I asked that question and they said you could BUT depending on how busy they were they possibly couldn't guarantee you a table.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by skinzfan23 »

Uffda wrote: When I ate there I asked that question and they said you could BUT depending on how busy they were they possibly couldn't guarantee you a table.
I was thinking that would probably be the case. Is there a time where it might be easier to do take out? Maybe a time where they aren't busy yet and will take a to go order.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8993
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by Greg S »

I had some friends eat there Saturday night. The people next to them ordered while they were waiting for a table (wait time was 20 minutes), so once the other crew sat down, they had their pizza in 20.

Greg
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by skinzfan23 »

Still haven't been here yet, but I was just checking their website and they are now open for lunch on Saturdays at 11 AM.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by bigredmed »

We tried it and it just isn't for us. Deep dish was really just regular crust folded into a deep dish pan. Marginal flavor. For thick crust fans, Orsi's is much better. Pizza King in CB is way more flavorful, but on a thin crust.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:38 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Pizzeria Davlo

Post by TLGJames »

Davlo's is great. Had Lou Mahantti's right afterwards, and it tasted the same.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Tried Davlo's for the first time tonight. My wife and I both loved it. We called ahead and had them bake the pizza. It was nice so we didn't have to wait once we got there. They even called us once it was done to let us know. The restaurant wasn't too busy for a Saturday night, it was about half full. We will definitely go back sometime but since we live in Bellevue, it is quite a drive from our home.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1321
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort)

Post by HskrFanMike »

Tried Davlo over the summer and thought it was good, though the toppings were a little light. Finally got back to Pudgy's a couple of weeks ago, and my vote goes to Pudgy's. The ambiance of Davlo is much better though.

It was actually my second visit to Pudgy's though. The first was a day or two after the report came out that business was way down because some people thought the place closed after Pudgy passed away last year. So we stopped there on Saturday night and --- they were so swamped that they had run out of cheese! Apparently they didn't anticipate the rush of business. So we ended getting Mama's instead that night.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort)

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy, here is the thread for Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort)
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:23 pm Omaha Cowboy, here is the thread for Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort)
I had Pizzeria Davlo tonight- got a Chicago Deep dish called the “Meat Eater”. Once you try Davlo’s, anyone who yearns for Giordano’s will not think about that place anymore..

Pizzeria Davlo is excellent and better imo…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
MadJack
Home Owners Association
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:46 am

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort)

Post by MadJack »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:36 pm
Brad wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:23 pm Omaha Cowboy, here is the thread for Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort)
I had Pizzeria Davlo tonight- got a Chicago Deep dish called the “Meat Eater”. Once you try Davlo’s, anyone who yearns for Giordano’s will not think about that place anymore..

Pizzeria Davlo is excellent and better imo…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Agreed! It's a great place.
BIGO88
Library Board
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by BIGO88 »

They announced that they will be closing.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

BIGO88 wrote: Wed Nov 19, 2025 7:03 pm They announced that they will be closing.
Unfortunate news…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by skinzfan23 »

Only been there once but it was great, sad to see.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by omaha79 »

This is really disappointing. I was only there a few times, as I live in Bellevue, but I always enjoyed the chicago style deep dish.
OmahaRedWing
Human Relations
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:39 pm

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by OmahaRedWing »

I am really bummed about this. A top ten Omaha restaurant for me.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by ChadJK »

It's been on my list of places to try. Sort of a "if we're ever in this part of town at dinner time..." Unfortunately, we are never in that part of town.
Last edited by ChadJK on Thu Nov 20, 2025 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8993
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by Greg S »

Really hate to see this. I thought they were doing OK. Seemed like when we went there it always had a good crowd. I wonder if having the other main Chicago Style pizza place in the entire metro so close (Rosati's at 144th and Maple) hit them. Rosati's is a chain from Chicago. I actually liked Davlo better.

Greg
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by Cermak »

I had been there a couple times, once this year. It wasn’t crowded the day I was there. Thought the pizza was pretty good if you wanted Chicago style deep dish.
Stan
Library Board
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by Stan »

My personal rank of pizza types would put Chicago deep dish as one of my least favorite pizza types so I don't go out of my way for it anywhere. Tavern style all day long. Still, I hate to see local places close like this.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by nativeomahan »

I would never turn down the opportunity to feast on deep dish pizza. Too many great memories of dining at Gino’s East and Pizzeria Uno in Chicago in years past. But two pieces will fill almost anyone up, and the wait is typically 45 minutes after your order is placed.
But our go-to pizza places now feature moderately thin crust NY style pizza, where the toppings, not the crust, are the stars of the show.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by ChadJK »

It seems lately that the standard retort from Chicagoans when Deep Dish pizza is being insulted is to reply that Chicagoans mostly eat Tavern Style and Deep Dish is for the tourists. There was a time when Chicagoans would adamantly defend their beloved Deep Dish and they all had strong opinions on which one they most loved. Now, it seems like they're deserting Deep Dish in increasing numbers and gaslighting us all into thinking they never liked it. lol

I've only had Deep Dish twice. The first time was at Savastano's in Tulsa (of all places). The owner was a Chicago transplant. I remember liking it but preferring a more standard pizza. The second time was at Lou Malnati's in Chicago and I didn't care much for it. The crust was probably the worst part. I'm certainly no Deep Dish expert, but I just prefer NY style. I did have Pizzeria Davlo on my list of places to try, but I never made it there.
Stan
Library Board
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by Stan »

I'd rather take a italian beef sandwich or a chicago dog over a slice of deep dish any day of the week. Pizzeria Uno(OG location) was my introduction to deep dish and it was good, but not something I've desired. Traditional NY style is my favorite as well followed by Connecticut and Detroit.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by skinzfan23 »

I would rather take deep dish any and all day....I never understand why people pay for hot dogs (or chicago dogs). Every time I see the prices I just laugh bc it is just a glorified hot dog.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Pizzeria Davlo (NEC 144th & Fort) - CLOSING

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Stan wrote: Wed Nov 26, 2025 9:07 am Traditional NY style is my favorite as well followed by Connecticut and Detroit.
Connecticut style pizza? I’ve never heard of it..

What style type of pizza is that?…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!