rubbernecking
-
RNcyanide
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2778
- Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
- Location: Boston
rubbernecking
If rubbernecking were an Olympic event, the fine motorists of Omaha, Nebraska would all be gold medalists. Every time there is equipment operating off to the side of the interstate, everyone has to slow down. Then speed back up after they pass. I'm taking the streets in the morning now.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.
The Bride
The Bride
-
jessep28
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2819
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Meeting to address widening of I-680
It's state law that you have to move over or slow down for police and construction equipment .RNcyanide wrote:If rubbernecking were an Olympic event, the fine motorists of Omaha, Nebraska would all be gold medalists. Every time there is equipment operating off to the side of the interstate, everyone has to slow down. Then speed back up after they pass. I'm taking the streets in the morning now.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
-
RNcyanide
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2778
- Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
- Location: Boston
Re: Meeting to address widening of I-680
Of course. But coming to a near halt?jessep28 wrote:It's state law that you have to move over or slow down for police and construction equipment .RNcyanide wrote:If rubbernecking were an Olympic event, the fine motorists of Omaha, Nebraska would all be gold medalists. Every time there is equipment operating off to the side of the interstate, everyone has to slow down. Then speed back up after they pass. I'm taking the streets in the morning now.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.
The Bride
The Bride
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
- Location: Bennington
Re: Meeting to address widening of I-680
Most of these drivers don't even realize what it is until they're on top of it... forget construction equipment... they all come to a halt for any abandoned car parked on the shoulder.
My favorite will always be when I was driving EB West Dodge during the morning rush... traffic coming to a standstill, all the way back to 168th... it wasn't until I approached the expressway bridge when I saw the cause... everyone slowing down to read something displayed on the message board... it was like: "Accident I-80 Exit 353, Consider Alternate Rtes". That's right... that's the YORK exit.
My favorite will always be when I was driving EB West Dodge during the morning rush... traffic coming to a standstill, all the way back to 168th... it wasn't until I approached the expressway bridge when I saw the cause... everyone slowing down to read something displayed on the message board... it was like: "Accident I-80 Exit 353, Consider Alternate Rtes". That's right... that's the YORK exit.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11632
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Meeting to address widening of I-680
That happens all the time on 480 heading south out of downtown towards I-80. Sometimes I think those signs are more of a pain. They really aren't too accurate either. A lot of times the accident is cleared up by the time you get near the mentioned area. I think maybe they should use them a little more like the ones Milwaukee has had for decades.Stargazer wrote:Most of these drivers don't even realize what it is until they're on top of it... forget construction equipment... they all come to a halt for any abandoned car parked on the shoulder.
My favorite will always be when I was driving EB West Dodge during the morning rush... traffic coming to a standstill, all the way back to 168th... it wasn't until I approached the expressway bridge when I saw the cause... everyone slowing down to read something displayed on the message board... it was like: "Accident I-80 Exit 353, Consider Alternate Rtes". That's right... that's the YORK exit.
Similar to this:

-
RNcyanide
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2778
- Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
- Location: Boston
Re: Meeting to address widening of I-680
My thoughts exactly. Accident on the shoulder, someone pulled over by the police, an abandonded car, construction a distance a way from the road, literally anything that isn't usually there.Stargazer wrote:Most of these drivers don't even realize what it is until they're on top of it... forget construction equipment... they all come to a halt for any abandoned car parked on the shoulder.
My favorite will always be when I was driving EB West Dodge during the morning rush... traffic coming to a standstill, all the way back to 168th... it wasn't until I approached the expressway bridge when I saw the cause... everyone slowing down to read something displayed on the message board... it was like: "Accident I-80 Exit 353, Consider Alternate Rtes". That's right... that's the YORK exit.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.
The Bride
The Bride
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm
Re: Meeting to address widening of I-680
I'd argue this happens everywhere and is not just an Omaha thing (at least from my travels).
Relevant video:
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Relevant video:
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]