Wemuniche Wilderness

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1573
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm

Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by ShawJ »

Spent some time backpacking in the Wemuniche Wilderness area of the San Juan National Forest, Colorado this past week. We covered 50 miles, 3 continental divide passes, and got extremely lucky with no rain.

1.
Image

2.
Image

3.
Image

4.
Image

5.
Image

6.
Image

7.
Image

8.
Image

9.
Image

10.
Image

11.
Image
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10815
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by iamjacobm »

Awesome!! Looks like a fun trip thanks for sharing.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1573
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by ShawJ »

Thanks! It was definitely a blast.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by Coyote »

Cool trip!
Nice pics!
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1573
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by ShawJ »

Thanks Coyote!
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by Coyote »

I hope you got to spend a little time in Durango.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1573
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by ShawJ »

Coyote wrote:I hope you got to spend a little time in Durango.
Didn't make it to Durango, unfortunately. We did stop in Ouray and Silverton though, which were pretty cool towns.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by SaveOmaha »

I hiked in that same area as a Boy Scout in 2002. I remember visiting the hot springs in Ouray, and eating dinner at the Ore House in Durango after our approximately 50-mile hike. Pretty fun trip!
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1573
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by ShawJ »

SaveOmaha wrote:I hiked in that exact same area as a Boy Scout in 2002. I remember visiting the hot springs in Ouray, and eating dinner at the Ore House in Durango after our own 50-mile hike. Pretty fun trip!
Cool! We met a Boy Scout group heading up to the Chicago Basin on our second to last day.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nice pictures. We are going to Colorado on Wednesday for the rest of the week. I would love to do some hiking, but we are probably going to be pretty limited with a 6 month old.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by Brad »

Looks like an awesome trip! Thanks for posting all the photos making the rest of us jealous we are not there!
MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2958
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by MadMartin8 »

ShawJ wrote:
Coyote wrote:I hope you got to spend a little time in Durango.
Didn't make it to Durango, unfortunately. We did stop in Ouray and Silverton though, which were pretty cool towns.
Ouray and Silverton are amazing towns. I also enjoy Telluride a bit as well (although not as much as Ouray).
No posts exist for this topic
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by Brad »

MadMartin8 wrote:Ouray and Silverton are amazing towns. I also enjoy Telluride a bit as well (although not as much as Ouray).
Ouray seems way more tucked in the mountains than Telluride and Silverton. I can't remember, but I thought I saw something last time I was there that said "Switzerland of the Rockies" or something along those lines.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1573
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by ShawJ »

Thanks skinz and Brad.

I was amazed at the road leading out of Ouray heading south up the mountains. I've never driven on a road quite like that before.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by Coyote »

Million Dollar Highway

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by SaveOmaha »

ShawJ, I thought you'd appreciate this picture. I thought some of these pictures you posted looked familiar...

Image

I apologize for the poor picture quality.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by Brad »


If you are short $999,999, you can take the "Last Dollar Road" to Telluride. It's just a little bit north of the Million Dollar Highway. The1Wags and I did that a couple years ago. One lane dirt and mud switchbacks up and over the mountain. Mud up to the axle, driving through water. It was awesome.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1573
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm

Re: Wemuniche Wilderness

Post by ShawJ »

SaveOmaha wrote:ShawJ, I thought you'd appreciate this picture. I thought some of these pictures you posted looked familiar...

I won't mention who the little chubby twelve year old on the right is, however!

Image

I apologize for the poor picture quality.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.