Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

General discussion on all things Omaha.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013721
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Discussion in the 120th and Pacific St thread got me to thinking-

Where do we go to get fuel in the Omaha area?..

Kicking this off, for me, I get fuel at HyVee about 90% the time these days. I enjoy using those fuel saver points.. There is a Bucky’s very close to my residence and I’ll occasionally go there..

So again, where do you all get fuel in the Omaha metropolitan area? Is there a specific place you tend to go?...

Please chime in :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 9006
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:46 pm

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Greg S »

Kwik shop with Baker's fuel points. Hy Vee if I have some to use there or based on convenience. Kum and Go if not fuel points from others places. Probably go to Kum and Go the most.

Greg
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Coyote »

Also, since I get Hy-Vee fuel savings, usually between .25 - .75 off I'm there. Occasionally with my Bakers card I use a Kwik Shop with it being the closest to me
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11645
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by skinzfan23 »

I go to Bucky's near 108th and M. They are usually one of the cheapest in the entire metro. If you have a BP credit card, you get 5% off (they accumulate for future purchases) I also like to use the HyVee fuel saver, but usually HyVee has higher gas prices so I am getting a way better deal with getting the 5% off for BP stations. So right now, gas at most stations is $2.59 so after the 5%, I am only paying about $2.46 without having to buy products in a grocery store. The fuel saver is great, but I often find myself buying stuff I don't really need to get the fuel saver.
User avatar
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Silverspoon »

I only go to whatever BP Im closest to when I need to fill up because BP fuel is the cleanest you can get in our region, and every other gas station in the area sells the exact same fuel as the others ie Kwik Shop, QT, Hy-vee. BP is the only fuel that comes from their plants alone, and the rest available around here come from the other place, and is lower quality.
Jim Flowers rules!
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11645
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by skinzfan23 »

Silverspoon wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:55 pm I only go to whatever BP Im closest to when I need to fill up because BP fuel is the cleanest you can get in our region, and every other gas station in the area sells the exact same fuel as the others ie Kwik Shop, QT, Hy-vee. BP is the only fuel that comes from their plants alone, and the rest available around here come from the other place, and is lower quality.
I have always wondered if that was true. I used to hear that gas at places like Tobacco and phones for less was "watered" down.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: The Big O

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by guy4omaha »

Kum N Go near my house due to proximity and the fact it has both E85 and E15 for my street rods.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7340
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Busguy2010 »

I have 3 in my main rotation, which is Kum & Go on 72nd & Blondo, Shell on 77th & Dodge, and QT at 88th & Maple. Kim & Go has 91 octane with no ethanol added, apparently. Haven't tested the others for 91 yet. It mainly comes down to where I'm going after and what other things I plan on buying, and if I'm getting a wash or not. On that subject, Bucky's car washes are way too expensive. If I have the time or am in the area, I always get a wash at the gas station on the southeast corner of 72nd & Q. They have a killer touch wash for like $7.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110988
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by nebugeater »

You can use your HyVee fuel credits and Casey's That is where I use mine most of the time, the fuel is usually 3 -4 cents cheaper at Casey's to start with.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
buildomaha
Human Relations
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:06 am

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by buildomaha »

Kum and go, they have a (insignificant) rewards system. They also only have their 87 marked as 10% ethanol so I assume their 89 doesn’t have added ethanol—although I could be completely wrong.
#gohawks
Trips
Library Board
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Trips »

I "fuel" up in my garage by plugging into the outlet on the wall. If I'm in need gas I normally go to Casey's so I can get some pizza.
User avatar
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Silverspoon »

skinzfan23 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 pm
Silverspoon wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:55 pm I only go to whatever BP Im closest to when I need to fill up because BP fuel is the cleanest you can get in our region, and every other gas station in the area sells the exact same fuel as the others ie Kwik Shop, QT, Hy-vee. BP is the only fuel that comes from their plants alone, and the rest available around here come from the other place, and is lower quality.
I have always wondered if that was true. I used to hear that gas at places like Tobacco and phones for less was "watered" down.
Typically not watered down since thats totally against the law, but I do remember Fantasys getting busted for that in like 2008 locally. Either way, you get what you pay for. If you want your fuel system to wear down, and in turn your engine wears down, then buy the cheap |expletive| that everybody in this area except for a BP station will sell ya.
Jim Flowers rules!
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2820
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by jessep28 »

I tend to favor QuikTrip. Their gasoline is Top Tier rated, and I like their c-store offerings.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110988
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by nebugeater »

How much does it really matter where you get it in the same general footprint. For the most part it all comes from the same pipe line and terminal tanks for a given area. Short of an additive or two or a station that is going to rip you off some way it is all the same fuel if you are buying a specific grade.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013721
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Great responses thus far :thumb: ..

I am mildly surprised no one has mentioned Sam’s or Costco yet.. Many people I know say gas price is one of the main reasons they pay for a membership...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013721
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:54 pm How much does it really matter where you get it in the same general footprint. For the most part it all comes from the same pipe line and terminal tanks for a given area. Short of an additive or two or a station that is going to rip you off some way it is all the same fuel if you are buying a specific grade.
I too, have heard about the superiority of BP gasoline. You do pay more for it, but I also wonder how much difference it really makes. I believe Shell gas makes similar proclamations of superior gasoline quality...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4622
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Uffda »

Quik Trip N 72nd - bakers card
Buckys - Blair High Road and 99th
Costco - if I am getting groceries

Usually not hyvee as I don’t shop enough to get fuel points and no gas station at 108th store.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Coyote »

I was told by some one in the know that Etherton Phillips 66 (2900 W Broadway in CB) had the cleanest gas in the metro. Whenever I am on an Iowa beer run I go there.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013721
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:02 am I was told by some one in the know that Etherton Phillips 66 (2900 W Broadway in CB) had the cleanest gas in the metro. Whenever I am on an Iowa beer run I go there.
I wonder if there is something somewhere..objectively written..which verifies the supposed superiority of some gasoline over the others. I’ve puchased fuel at BP, Shell and Phillips 66 many times over the years and really notice no difference in how my vehicles run versus HyVee- where I’ve been purchasing the majority of my fuel the past several years. I have no doubt some is less quality than others and the places I suspect sell low quality gas, I purposely avoid.. unless I absolutely have to make a puchase in an extreme situation where I’m nearly about to run out of gas...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Coyote wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:02 am I was told by some one in the know that Etherton Phillips 66 (2900 W Broadway in CB) had the cleanest gas in the metro. Whenever I am on an Iowa beer run I go there.
I think you mean Atherton's Phillips 66 who's claim to fame is that the Atherton family is the longest franchise owner of a Phillips 66 in the world. I think they are grandfathered out of being held up to current Phillips 66 franchise standards which means the place is kind of a dump. I seriously doubt they have the "best gas."
MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2958
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by MadMartin8 »

Always try to head to a BP. If that's not available, the Casey's nearby because, as someone already mentioned, I can get some pizza there as well :)
No posts exist for this topic
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110988
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:58 pm Great responses thus far :thumb: ..

I am mildly surprised no one has mentioned Sam’s or Costco yet.. Many people I know say gas price is one of the main reasons they pay for a membership...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
It has to be close enough or you pass close enough to matter. Have memberships and fill up at both when I an near and need gas. Where I live it is not someplace to make a trip to just for fuel.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:47 pm

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Omababe »

Council Bluffs, south 24th., almost always.
User avatar
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Silverspoon »

I frequent the Anderson BP on 120th Pacific because it is the closest BP to me when Im trying to get on the interstate from out by Boys Town.
Jim Flowers rules!
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2820
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by jessep28 »

Silverspoon wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:41 pm
skinzfan23 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 pm
Silverspoon wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:55 pm I only go to whatever BP Im closest to when I need to fill up because BP fuel is the cleanest you can get in our region, and every other gas station in the area sells the exact same fuel as the others ie Kwik Shop, QT, Hy-vee. BP is the only fuel that comes from their plants alone, and the rest available around here come from the other place, and is lower quality.
I have always wondered if that was true. I used to hear that gas at places like Tobacco and phones for less was "watered" down.
Typically not watered down since thats totally against the law, but I do remember Fantasys getting busted for that in like 2008 locally. Either way, you get what you pay for. If you want your fuel system to wear down, and in turn your engine wears down, then buy the cheap |expletive| that everybody in this area except for a BP station will sell ya.
If it's the incident at Fantasy's I'm thinking of, a Sapp Brothers delivery driver didn't properly lock down a cap to an underground tank, and rain water got in. It wasn't intentional. I was working for the company at the time when that happened.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
User avatar
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Used to be a little gas station across from the TV towers on 72nd called the Moon Station. I think that is what it was called. I was friends in High School with a couple of guys that worked there. They told stories all the time of how they would steal gas and then dump 5 gallon buckets of water into the tank to replace it. When the Moon Station first opened it was a full service station with attendants dressed like go go girls. That only lasted a couple of years as it did not go over that well.
User avatar
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Silverspoon »

jessep28 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:33 pm
Silverspoon wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:41 pm
skinzfan23 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 pm
Silverspoon wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:55 pm I only go to whatever BP Im closest to when I need to fill up because BP fuel is the cleanest you can get in our region, and every other gas station in the area sells the exact same fuel as the others ie Kwik Shop, QT, Hy-vee. BP is the only fuel that comes from their plants alone, and the rest available around here come from the other place, and is lower quality.
I have always wondered if that was true. I used to hear that gas at places like Tobacco and phones for less was "watered" down.
Typically not watered down since thats totally against the law, but I do remember Fantasys getting busted for that in like 2008 locally. Either way, you get what you pay for. If you want your fuel system to wear down, and in turn your engine wears down, then buy the cheap |expletive| that everybody in this area except for a BP station will sell ya.
If it's the incident at Fantasy's I'm thinking of, a Sapp Brothers delivery driver didn't properly lock down a cap to an underground tank, and rain water got in. It wasn't intentional. I was working for the company at the time when that happened.
I was working for Fantasys shortly before that, and we had complaints from most of the locations of the same type which led me to believe it wasnt a Sapp Bros issue at all.
Jim Flowers rules!
User avatar
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Silverspoon »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:56 pm Used to be a little gas station across from the TV towers on 72nd called the Moon Station. I think that is what it was called. I was friends in High School with a couple of guys that worked there. They told stories all the time of how they would steal gas and then dump 5 gallon buckets of water into the tank to replace it. When the Moon Station first opened it was a full service station with attendants dressed like go go girls. That only lasted a couple of years as it did not go over that well.
Your friends probably never realized that eventually they were stealing watered down gas. :lol:
Jim Flowers rules!
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2820
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by jessep28 »

Silverspoon wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:28 pm

I was working for Fantasys shortly before that, and we had complaints from most of the locations of the same type which led me to believe it wasnt a Sapp Bros issue at all.
Unless Karen Spaustat was driving around in her yellow BMW diluting tanks at night, I think that people were still getting used to $2+ gallon gas, and finding any reason to complain. Barring another conspiracy to tamper with that equipment, the store's Veeder Root system would have detected water in the tanks.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013721
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

One thing for certain thus far, there does not appear to be one or 2 dominant places we frequent to fuel up our vehicles.. It’s quite a hodge podge of places.. And convenience and spur of the moment “if I happen to be in the area” also factor into where we ultimately end up getting fuel..

Keep the responses coming :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Silverspoon »

jessep28 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:18 pm
Silverspoon wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:28 pm

I was working for Fantasys shortly before that, and we had complaints from most of the locations of the same type which led me to believe it wasnt a Sapp Bros issue at all.
Unless Karen Spaustat was driving around in her yellow BMW diluting tanks at night, I think that people were still getting used to $2+ gallon gas, and finding any reason to complain. Barring another conspiracy to tamper with that equipment, the store's Veeder Root system would have detected water in the tanks.
I wouldnt put it past John. He was a crooked business man. He ripped off every front counter employee that worked for him on every check with his car wash bonuses.
Jim Flowers rules!
User avatar
RockHarbor
Planning Board
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:42 pm
Location: Silver State

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by RockHarbor »

I choose Bucky's. (When I lived in Omaha, thats where I typically stopped. Sometimes Kum & Go, but Bucky's feels brighter, funner to me. I especially liked the new Bucky's on 76th & Dodge area. A nice gas station was needed there for so long -- and it has an architectural, shingled peak I adored. Its helped the look of that area... I would stop at the one on 60th & Center, 42nd & Dodge, 72nd & I-80 area, and even Elkhorn.) I stopped at Hy-Vee sometimes, but it closes too early, imo. It's like a "Grandma Hy-Vee's tired and got to get to bed" feel, when my night was sometimes just getting started. Sometimes I would get gas at 132nd & Fort (boy, did they ever remodel that place). I would get gas at Kwik Shop at 156th & Blondo, and Quick Trip on Saddle Creek. Sometimes I would get gas at that station at 144th & Harrison (on the NE corner, across from "yum! yum!" Don & Millies). It has kind of a low-key "beer & keno & cigarettes & chew" feel in there, I think, which is kinda strange, because it reminds me of older, lower class parts of Millard, but I grew up spending a lot of time in Stonybrook South across the street -- and that neighborhood is still very nice. So, its always a weird contrast to me. (My job required me to run all over town, so I never had one main gas station -- obviously.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6019
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by nativeomahan »

Bakers or Hy-Vee. I usually can save about 15-20 cents a gallon. I used to fill up weekly but since I retired it’s about once every 3 weeks.
zippy
Library Board
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:55 pm
Location: Harvey Oaks

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by zippy »

Hy-Vee, or the Shell stations that accept fuel saver. Since 1/1/18, I've saved over $380. It's pretty rare for me to spend more than $0.02 per gallon.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by mrsticka »

I wish 7-Eleven was still here in Nebraska. If they were, I'd go there for gas. :yes: But not all of them had gas.
Brooklyn Decker
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Sports Illustrated

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Brooklyn Decker »

mrsticka wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:49 am I wish 7-Eleven was still here in Nebraska. If they were, I'd go there for gas. :yes: But not all of them had gas.
What about the Circle K? Excellent :banger:
Brooklyn Decker
Pat
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:55 am
Location: Somewhere Upstream

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Pat »

mrsticka wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:49 am I wish 7-Eleven was still here in Nebraska. If they were, I'd go there for gas. :yes: But not all of them had gas.
I miss those Pina Colada Slurpees
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:28 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by mistergutierrez »

Costco
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013721
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

With gas prices on the rise recently, I remain mildly surprised at how little Costco or Sam’s have been mentioned for primary fuel purchases...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036616
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Where do you go to fuel up your vehicle in Omaha?

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 10:04 pm With gas prices on the rise recently, I remain mildly surprised at how little Costco or Sam’s have been mentioned for primary fuel purchases...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Could be that not that many forum members have memberships to those places?

I go to HyVee, because it’s at the end of my street.