Center Turn Lanes

Capital city news and discussion.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Center Turn Lanes

Post by mrsticka »

You know how here in Lincoln, there are lots of center turn lanes on 2-way streets with 1 lane in both directions? I mean streets with yellow medians and a speed limit of 35. Well, are there any other cities around the country that do that, too?
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3281
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:08 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

mrsticka wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:49 am You know how here in Lincoln, there are lots of center turn lanes on 2-way streets with 1 lane in both directions? I mean streets with yellow medians and a speed limit of 35. Well, are there any other cities around the country that do that, too?
Yes. Many cities put those in where there are lots of driveways leading off busy commercial streets (if they fit). In some places they call them suicide lanes. We had them in Ames, Chicago, and here in St. Louis. They're in Omaha too. They're pretty common.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by mrsticka »

Well, I knew they were in Omaha. I know Dodge has that reversible lane between 31st and 68th. It's only 5 lanes (2 east, 2 west and center reversible) within that distance. And left and right turns aren't even allowed. Personally, I feel they should've made Dodge 7 lanes (3 east, 3 west and a center turn) that whole distance with left and right turns allowed. Yes, the downside would probably be the heavy traffic. But I think it wouldn't have been such a bad idea.
User avatar
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations
Posts: 797
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:59 am

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

They're in most cities...
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110987
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by nebugeater »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:31 am They're in most cities...

Heck they are in many small towns.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3281
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:08 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

mrsticka wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 am Well, I knew they were in Omaha. I know Dodge has that reversible lane between 31st and 68th. It's only 5 lanes (2 east, 2 west and center reversible) within that distance. And left and right turns aren't even allowed. Personally, I feel they should've made Dodge 7 lanes (3 east, 3 west and a center turn) that whole distance with left and right turns allowed. Yes, the downside would probably be the heavy traffic. But I think it wouldn't have been such a bad idea.
Back in the ‘60s or so, some city leaders felt the same way. But in a rare move of good planning they decided to keep the fabric of the city intact instead of demolishing every building fronting Dodge Street, which they would have needed to do to fit that many lanes in. Frankly it would have been a disaster.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013721
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:49 am
PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:31 am They're in most cities...

Heck they are in many small towns.
They’re everywhere :banana: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by Coyote »

[youtube]
[/youtube]
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7340
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by Busguy2010 »

After thinking about it for a while, they aren't actually that common in Omaha are they? 3 lane roads? Only one I can think of that's two travel lanes and a turn lane is 76th between Dodge and Cass.
SunMan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:02 pm
Location: Ralston

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by SunMan »

Grover St west from 60th
Harrison St from 48th to 70th
108th St from I-80 north to Rockbrook
84th St from Pacific to Farnam
42nd St from Leavenworth to Dodge

I'm sure I'm missing a few.
SunMan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:02 pm
Location: Ralston

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by SunMan »

84th Street from Pacific to Farnam was built 2 lanes. It was originally proposed for 3 lanes.
JDJase
Home Owners Association
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 3:43 am
Location: Downtown Omaha

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by JDJase »

mrsticka wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 am Well, I knew they were in Omaha. I know Dodge has that reversible lane between 31st and 68th. It's only 5 lanes (2 east, 2 west and center reversible) within that distance. And left and right turns aren't even allowed. Personally, I feel they should've made Dodge 7 lanes (3 east, 3 west and a center turn) that whole distance with left and right turns allowed. Yes, the downside would probably be the heavy traffic. But I think it wouldn't have been such a bad idea.
Wait we can't turn right on dodge? Yikes ;)

As for the three lane roads they're all over in north downtown/Creighton (Burt St, Mike Fahey, 14th, 16th, 17th, etc) though I don't know what the speed limits are...but everyone definitely drives over 35 so it counts ;) lol
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7340
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by Busguy2010 »

SunMan wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:12 pm Grover St west from 60th
Harrison St from 48th to 70th
108th St from I-80 north to Rockbrook
84th St from Pacific to Farnam
42nd St from Leavenworth to Dodge

I'm sure I'm missing a few.
After I made that post, I totally drove down both Grover and Harrison just by happenstance. Whatta you know?

I wouldn't consider 84th a 3 lane, just a two lane with turn lanes at either end of that stretch. But yes, thanks, you identified some that weren't close to popping into my head.

Isn't south 24th street planned to be a 3 laner?

Dang, I just did a quick check on 20th street, it is 3 lanes from Cuming to Ohio, then that led me on an egg hunt. Burt Street is as well, and 17th and so many more throughout North Downtown I'm not even going to try and name them all.
ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:32 am

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

There's lots out in the 'burbs but it's obvious most of those are only temporary fixes

Otherwise there's:
Blondo from 66th thru 72nd
Maple in downtown Benson
F 50th to 60th
Mission Ave in Bellevue
99th Blair High to Military
Military from 680 to 108th (I don't think this will ever be widened so I'm including it)
all of Railroad Ave
48th south of Harrison
Leavenworth from 52nd to 60th (and I think planned to Saddle Creek eventually)
S24th and N30th are planned to get a road diet to this in the future
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7340
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by Busguy2010 »

Underwood Ave. between 52nd and ~ 60th
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7340
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by Busguy2010 »

I know I can't do it all my own, please feel free to add yours to this map.

ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:32 am

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

Thanks for the fun timewaster!

Do you want the ones out in the suburbs that are clearly gonna be 4-laned one day or not?
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by mrsticka »

2-lane roads that I think should be 3:

108th between Q and Harrison
114th from West Center to Dodge.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7340
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by Busguy2010 »

ProgKingHughesker wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:16 am Thanks for the fun timewaster!

Do you want the ones out in the suburbs that are clearly gonna be 4-laned one day or not?
Much appreciated, you did some work! Feel free to add whatever 3 laneres you know of.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7340
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by Busguy2010 »

mrsticka wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:51 am 2-lane roads that I think should be 3:

108th between Q and Harrison
114th from West Center to Dodge.
I think 108th will be 4 lanes eventually, but I 100% agree with you on 114th. 114th reminds me of 84th. It seems to make sense to add a turn lane, but maybe those who pull the strings don't want it to be that way.

Ever since they closed 84th last year, I think those who used it in the past (myself included) kind of forgot about it and learned that it is truly just as fast to use 72nd. Even though there's more traffic, the lights are timed way more in your favor over 84th. Ever since they reopened 84th, I never went back to 84th, and maybe that was part of the plan. I feel like 114th would be a similar situation in reality.
SunMan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:02 pm
Location: Ralston

Re: Center Turn Lanes

Post by SunMan »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:39 am
SunMan wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:12 pm Grover St west from 60th
Harrison St from 48th to 70th
108th St from I-80 north to Rockbrook
84th St from Pacific to Farnam
42nd St from Leavenworth to Dodge

I'm sure I'm missing a few.
After I made that post, I totally drove down both Grover and Harrison just by happenstance. Whatta you know?

I wouldn't consider 84th a 3 lane, just a two lane with turn lanes at either end of that stretch. But yes, thanks, you identified some that weren't close to popping into my head.

Isn't south 24th street planned to be a 3 laner?

Dang, I just did a quick check on 20th street, it is 3 lanes from Cuming to Ohio, then that led me on an egg hunt. Burt Street is as well, and 17th and so many more throughout North Downtown I'm not even going to try and name them all.
I agree, 84th is 2-lane from Pacific to Farnam. I realized my mistake after I posted. It was originally proposed to be 3-lane.