https://quotewizard.com/news/posts/the- ... -city-2018
LOL, it took them that long to figure it out?
I kinda figured when I saw that.TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:18 pm The methodology for determining that Omaha has the worst drivers is poor. They say it comes from the number of "accidents, speeding, and driving violations" without consideration for context. Were there more weather phenomenons or confusing construction zones that led to the uptick in accidents? Do Omahans speed more (I'm very confident they don't), or do cops in Omaha enforce speed laws more frequently than other places? Do we really have more driving violations or do we place priority on traffic enforcement?
Also consider that the "best drivers" in this survey are in Orlando, Florida. Really? A city struggling to keep up with population growth and absolutely brimming with both domestic and international tourists with only a rough idea of where they are going has the "best" drivers? I find that hard to believe.
These lists are meaningless, constructed by clickbait websites.
You’re from somewhere out-state aren’t you?Baddriversforsure wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 pm Omaha drivers are truly atrocious. I drive all around this city for a living, every day.
I see multiple horrible driving behaviors every time I go out. Be it excessive speeding, aggressive, angry behavior including tailgating, passing while nearly clipping, trying to always be first, only to be at the same position at a red light, etc...
Omahans don't like to follow stop sign rules. The deliberate, obnoxious and arrogant driving behavior here is running rampant. They think they can do whatever they want.
If any Omahans cannot see that, then they are wearing blinders.
Agree on this! (Hmmmm ... first and only post? Joined Friday?)Baddriversforsure wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 pmI see multiple horrible driving behaviors every time I go out. Be it excessive speeding, aggressive, angry behavior including tailgating, passing while nearly clipping, trying to always be first, only to be at the same position at a red light, etc...
Omahans don't like to follow stop sign rules. The deliberate, obnoxious and arrogant driving behavior here is running rampant. They think they can do whatever they want.
If any Omahans cannot see that, then they are wearing blinders.
I think Omaha is getting pretty dang congested and I’ve been living in Chicago as my last city. I’ve also lived in Sacramento and the Bay Area. I grew up and went to high school here before leaving and I’ve noticed a big change. Now, it’s not Kennedy / Ryan congested, but I have noticed a MASSIVE difference, especially out west. There is congestion on the expressways here, it may not be for hours, but at peak times you are waiting in stop and go traffic more often than not. I notice it on the 680 N and S now, whereas before it would only be at interchanges.Omababe wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:18 am I might put this in another context. Compared to other metro areas, Omaha really does not have any true traffic congestion issues and the roads tend to be in better shape. The drivers don't really have to be that good to exist in Omaha's traffic, and it shows!
Agree on this! (Hmmmm ... first and only post? Joined Friday?)Baddriversforsure wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 pmI see multiple horrible driving behaviors every time I go out. Be it excessive speeding, aggressive, angry behavior including tailgating, passing while nearly clipping, trying to always be first, only to be at the same position at a red light, etc...
Omahans don't like to follow stop sign rules. The deliberate, obnoxious and arrogant driving behavior here is running rampant. They think they can do whatever they want.
If any Omahans cannot see that, then they are wearing blinders.
Nope. Absolutely not. West and Southwest Omaha has THE WORST and most aggressive drivers period. SE part of the city is pretty terrible too. But I loath driving in SW Omaha.GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:06 am The worst drivers are East of 72nd and thats a fact Jack![]()
This is what bothers me the most. I think it qualifies as bad driving, even though it isn't aggressive. I think you have to feel the other drivers around you and match what the majority is doing, even though it might not be lawful. You have to be aggressive to a certain point, lest getting stuck in the back of line or getting pi$$ed on by other drivers. Calculated aggression is what I call it. Now, if you're just making dumb, unnecessary moves like cutting people off or lane weaving, then yeah. 5 to 10 over is obviously socially acceptable, but I would only do it in a pack of cars also doing the same. Flow of traffic, its easy. Never been in an accident in my life.Ryan Air wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:27 pma |expletive| ton of slow Sunday drivers off in la-la land any given day of the week.
Yes! I loved this in Chicago. For as aggressive as the driving can be during peak traffic times, Chicago zipper merges like champs. How to zipper merge is on the Illinois drivers test.Busguy2010 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:08 pm My favorite concept the city is trying to teach it's citizens is zipper merging. This wonderful concept of not being a doucher and shutting people in the second lane out because "I did my time" and its "unfair" to jump to the front of the line. Zipper merging is so efficient and I can't wait for the day we figure it out.
Exactly. It’s being decisive. And when you’re driving a car that is going 75 MPH you need to be able to be decisive. If you don’t feel safe driving at/above the posted speed limit then you are a danger to yourself and those around you nonetheless the danger you pose if someone were to come over a hill while you are going 15 under the speed limit and rear end you because of you’re inability to control your vehicle. Zipper merging shouldn’t be overlooked as Omaha LOVES building out roads to crest the opportunity for it! I also think everyone needs to be retested every 10 years for their drivers license and anyone over 65 needs to be test every or every other year in order to operate a motor vehicle. If your senses and body control aren’t there, you shouldn’t be endangering others on the road.Busguy2010 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:08 pmThis is what bothers me the most. I think it qualifies as bad driving, even though it isn't aggressive. I think you have to feel the other drivers around you and match what the majority is doing, even though it might not be lawful. You have to be aggressive to a certain point, lest getting stuck in the back of line or getting pi$$ed on by other drivers. Calculated aggression is what I call it. Now, if you're just making dumb, unnecessary moves like cutting people off or lane weaving, then yeah. 5 to 10 over is obviously socially acceptable, but I would only do it in a pack of cars also doing the same. Flow of traffic, its easy. Never been in an accident in my life.Ryan Air wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:27 pma |expletive| ton of slow Sunday drivers off in la-la land any given day of the week.
My favorite concept the city is trying to teach it's citizens is zipper merging. This wonderful concept of not being a doucher and shutting people in the second lane out because "I did my time" and its "unfair" to jump to the front of the line. Zipper merging is so efficient and I can't wait for the day we figure it out.
Funny little story, I learned this concept when I was a boy. There was a lane closure just before Maple on 72nd going south. There was a single file line of cars in the left lane that was nearly 1/4 mile long. On the bus, the driver was training somebody new and he said "look at this, you'll never survive out here if you get in line." So he blew past this huge line of cars and when he got to the front, he pointed the very front left corner of his bus into the left lane, just enough to make it impossible for the car to fit by him "what can they do?" he laughed, and was on his merry way. It blew me away, and now I never hesitate to use the empty lane.TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:59 pm Yes! I loved this in Chicago. For as aggressive as the driving can be during peak traffic times, Chicago zipper merges like champs. How to zipper merge is on the Illinois drivers test.
Sadly St. Louis hasn’t quite yet picked up on zipper merging. You still see situations where you have dual turn lanes onto the highway that merge into one lane on the on ramp and all but maybe one car line up in the lane that does not end. Here’s to omahans picking up on it more quickly.
Love it.buildomaha wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:55 pm
Exactly. It’s being decisive.And when you’re driving a car that is going 75 MPH you need to be able to be decisive. If you don’t feel safe driving at/above the posted speed limit then you are a danger to yourself and those around you nonetheless the danger you pose if someone were to come over a hill while you are going 15 under the speed limit and rear end you because of you’re inability to control your vehicle. Zipper merging shouldn’t be overlooked as Omaha LOVES building out roads to crest the opportunity for it! I also think everyone needs to be retested every 10 years for their drivers license and anyone over 65 needs to be test every or every other year in order to operate a motor vehicle. If your senses and body control aren’t there, you shouldn’t be endangering others on the road.
HA! My friends woke up hung over as all be the morning after a Monday night Cowboys game. They were NOT prepared for Dallas rush hour. They said it was terrifying and 100 was the flow of traffic.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:12 pmA few months back, I was visiting family in my 2nd favorite city- Dallas.. And let me tell you, the phrase “bat out of he!!” Could easily have been created to describe the intense speed of drivers all over the Metroplex..and their utter disregard for any speed limit on any road...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
The other thing I'd like to say is though are a lot of just bad drivers, how often do you think you might have just witnessed someone making a rare mistake. In a city our size, I'd say it could happen fairly often. I've caught myself start to change lanes without checking fully checking my blind spot once or twice in my life. I'm sure the person chilling in my blind spot thought I was a dimwit, but they did indeed catch me making an extremely rare mistake.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:12 pm No city has, on balance, more good drivers than bad (or vise versa).. Omaha has their share of crappy drivers no doubt. Many have never been introduced to the function of their turn signal..and drive either too fast or too slow. Many just seem to think they own the road, and change lanes without looking.. On the other side of that, there are also Omaha drivers that, I believe, purposely drive in the “blind spot”..
I agree totally with this. I think merging traffic is too passive in Omaha and the traffic on the freeway needs to allow for merging.Ryan Air wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:52 pm I still zipper merge here. I’m usually the only one. I think to myself “what are all these suckers doing?” Sometimes I get somebody aggressively trying to not let me in. I have battle scars on my car- hit me @ssh0l3- I already got bumper marks... I’m getting in!
Zipper merge is a MUST learn here.
I couldn't agree more! In fact, I know of at least two places (Kennedy south of 370 and the 84th St viaduct in Ralston) where road crews have put up a bunch of signs instructing people to wait and zipper merge right before the lane closure. And do you think ANYBODY ever follows those signs and actually does it properly? Of course not. Nearly everyone still gets over waaaaay too soon and ends up forming a ridiculously long line.Ryan Air wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:52 pm I still zipper merge here. I’m usually the only one. I think to myself “what are all these suckers doing?” Sometimes I get somebody aggressively trying to not let me in. I have battle scars on my car- hit me @ssh0l3- I already got bumper marks... I’m getting in!
Zipper merge is a MUST learn here.
Well the city being on islands and 4x the metro population certainly can’t help.RNcyanide wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:54 pm I just drove to and from downtown Montréal. Drivers in omaha are saints by comparison.
Lol especially if you're trying to go north or south. 27th street is a nightmare of a thoroughfare.buildomaha wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:53 pm I get incredibly annoyed driving in other cities. “WHY IS EVERYONE SO D@M SLOW???” Is all that goes through my head (thinking of you especially, Lincoln)
27th is is a taste of heck on earthLouie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:09 amLol especially if you're trying to go north or south. 27th street is a nightmare of a thoroughfare.buildomaha wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:53 pm I get incredibly annoyed driving in other cities. “WHY IS EVERYONE SO D@M SLOW???” Is all that goes through my head (thinking of you especially, Lincoln)