Next year the 4th of July lands on Thursday. When the 4th lands in the middle of the work week like this many people celebrate on the preceding Saturday. No can do next year. Personally fireworks bore me but if people want to shoot them off for a few days and have a little fun more power to them.
Fireworks Laws
-
GrandpaaSmucker
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1879
- Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm
Fireworks Laws
Yesterday the city passed a stupid new law that will cut the days you can shoot fireworks off from 10 to 3. It baffles me how anyone can not know this is going to create a problem for the police and 911. Of course the fireworks shooters are going to shoot the fireworks off early and of course hundreds if not thousands of cry babies and tattletales will call the police on their neighbors. Interesting enough the new rules are that fireworks can be sold for 7 days. So yeah they will be working on the honor system that the people will not blow their fireworks off early as the police will not have the manpower and resources to answer all the calls from the cry sissies who don't like fireworks.
Next year the 4th of July lands on Thursday. When the 4th lands in the middle of the work week like this many people celebrate on the preceding Saturday. No can do next year. Personally fireworks bore me but if people want to shoot them off for a few days and have a little fun more power to them.
Next year the 4th of July lands on Thursday. When the 4th lands in the middle of the work week like this many people celebrate on the preceding Saturday. No can do next year. Personally fireworks bore me but if people want to shoot them off for a few days and have a little fun more power to them.
-
cdub
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1216
- Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm
- Location: Tempe. AZ
Re: Fireworks Laws
I'm amazed at all the people complaining about this. Because lots of people are knuckleheads, there will always be violations but to argue that you can't lessen the window because of enforcement is just a big ole red herring. Lots of places allow zero days and there are enforcement issues but the impact to all those who do not want the noise, smoke, etc. is much less. I applaud this move. When I moved to Omaha and the 4th rolled around I thought I'd wandered into a war zone. As for the 'freedom' crowd, well, when your freedoms cloud the air, blast others ear drums, scare animals, frustrate PTSD folks, and generally trash the streets, your freedoms become about as reasonable as my freedom to poop on your lawn.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11632
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Fireworks Laws
I am kinda with you on this one cdub. I love shooting fireworks off and love seeing them, but no one needs to shoot fireworks off non-stop for more than a few nights. This summer was one of the worst I have experienced. On the 4th, we had that big storm roll through with heavy rain and 50-60 mph winds, yet people were still out shooting fireworks off. I don't even know how that is fun when you are soaked and the fireworks are shooting all over the place. Obviously, enforcing the law is a whole other deal.
-
GrandpaaSmucker
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1879
- Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm
Re: Fireworks Laws
Some of the same dog owners who do not like fireworks because they hurt their poor doggies ears are the same scum bags who think nothing of letting their dogs use our front yards as their toilets. I do not want to call the cops on those disgusting dog owners who let their animals poop in all our yards. I would like to rub the owners face in it but I just shut up and deal with it.cdub wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:57 am As for the 'freedom' crowd, well, when your freedoms cloud the air, blast others ear drums, scare animals, frustrate PTSD folks, and generally trash the streets, your freedoms become about as reasonable as my freedom to poop on your lawn.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110961
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Fireworks Laws
First step is the days of sales should match the days of use. If you want to be generousness allow sales the day before but one day only. The ordinance sets itself up for failure. I know they can be bought elsewhere but when you can but them right down the street it is too easy for the days leading up to the legal days to use.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
bigredmed1
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1689
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm
Re: Fireworks Laws
Agreed. What we need is a return to social enforcement. To the "Days of 'Don't be a dick'". The cops can't be everywhere and its better for us to have them handle real crime and trauma. We need to be more willing to talk with our neighbors about this. Its understandable that fireworks go off late and maybe someone shoots a few off after midnight on 7/4-5, and its a dick move to call the cops on them or even complain to the neighbors, but when its te 6th or 7th of July, its time to call it for the season because that kind of fireworks abuse is also a dick move.cdub wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:57 am I'm amazed at all the people complaining about this. Because lots of people are knuckleheads, there will always be violations but to argue that you can't lessen the window because of enforcement is just a big ole red herring. Lots of places allow zero days and there are enforcement issues but the impact to all those who do not want the noise, smoke, etc. is much less. I applaud this move. When I moved to Omaha and the 4th rolled around I thought I'd wandered into a war zone. As for the 'freedom' crowd, well, when your freedoms cloud the air, blast others ear drums, scare animals, frustrate PTSD folks, and generally trash the streets, your freedoms become about as reasonable as my freedom to poop on your lawn.
So we should alll start talking with the neighbors about not being dicks to each other. I will not call the cops on your middle schooler and you wont' be shooting them off two days after the 4th.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Fireworks Laws
I don’t mind fireworks at all. I honestly don’t. When I was younger, I loved setting them off.. as I’ve gotten older, not so much. But I still enjoy watching them..
That said, this past year was the worst in recent memory for my neighborhood as it relates to people setting off fireworks late into the night. I was hearing them set off past midnight on numerous occasions this year. I’ve always had a built in rule to cut off settling off loud fireworks by 10:30 to 11pm at the latest.. 1:00am is nonsense and makes me want to crack these idiots upside the head...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
That said, this past year was the worst in recent memory for my neighborhood as it relates to people setting off fireworks late into the night. I was hearing them set off past midnight on numerous occasions this year. I’ve always had a built in rule to cut off settling off loud fireworks by 10:30 to 11pm at the latest.. 1:00am is nonsense and makes me want to crack these idiots upside the head...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Re: Fireworks Laws
I really don’t purchase much any more not like I did when I was a kid. I do like see them but I feel they are louder than they were when I was a kid. We didn’t have the rattle the pictures on the wall fire cracker - unless there was The once in awhile cherry bomb. The bottle rockets and aerials didn’t go off with the loud explosion like you hear now.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:41 pm I don’t mind fireworks at all. I honestly don’t. When I was younger, I loved setting them off.. as I’ve gotten older, not so much. But I still enjoy watching them..
That said, this past year was the worst in recent memory for my neighborhood as it relates to people setting off fireworks late into the night. I was hearing them set off past midnight on numerous occasions this year. I’ve always had a built in rule to cut off settling off loud fireworks by 10:30 to 11pm at the latest.. 1:00am is nonsense and makes me want to crack these idiots upside the head...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
We are the people our parents warned us about.
Jimmy Buffett
Jimmy Buffett
-
GetUrban
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Fireworks Laws
I'm to the point in my life that I'm "done" with fireworks. Actually, I reached that point about 30 years ago when I was around 25. The thrill is gone, even with the big shows. Shows are so common at so many events now, that they've lost their novelty. The shows pretty much all look the same. How many hundreds of times do you have to hear an explosion, especially firecrackers, to get your thrills? It was fun as a kid blowing up stuff with fireworks, but it gets old real fast. Just my opinion.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
...and then they were gone.
-
bigredmed1
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1689
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm
Re: Fireworks Laws
Especially when you have to work the next day and the neighbor's spawn are shooting things off at 2-3 am on the 6th of July.GetUrban wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:11 pm I'm to the point in my life that I'm "done" with fireworks. Actually, I reached that point about 30 years ago when I was around 25. The thrill is gone, even with the big shows. Shows are so common at so many events now, that they've lost their novelty. The shows pretty much all look the same. How many hundreds of times do you have to hear an explosion, especially firecrackers, to get your thrills? It was fun as a kid blowing up stuff with fireworks, but it gets old real fast. Just my opinion.