St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10813
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by iamjacobm »

Some potential big news in the most recent Benson article.

https://www.omaha.com/money/benson-to-s ... 370bb.html
Four structures — all a century old and spanning a total of about 90,000 square feet — are about to go on the market, opening up for development what once was St. James Orphanage at 60th Street and Military Avenue.

The Archdiocese of Omaha is selling the property known today as the Sheehan Center for a price still to be determined, Deacon Tim McNeil said.

In November, offices and services offered at the campus will move to 111th and Blondo Streets.

Festersen said he hopes that talks with the archdiocese and area residents will create a new vision for the campus. “It is large and represents a new opportunity,” he said.
Pretty good chunk of land and some attractive buildings. Could be an opportunity for some apartments or a more robust mixed use development if someone wanted to be more bold.

Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by Busguy2010 »

Bugged me that the writer said 60th and Military ave when there is no such intersection.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by nativeomahan »

Sounds as if a long chapter on Omaha history is closing.
nmalone
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:34 pm

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by nmalone »

These buildings are in amazing condition. The archdiocese just hosted the Restoration Exchange Omaha Neighborhood Tour Registration in St. Joseph Hall the furthest North building. Great stories from previous workers from the orphanage that stopped by for the tour.
User avatar
Taco
Human Relations
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by Taco »

At the minimum, these buildings should be preserved. We do not have enough remaining historic buildings to knock anymore down. I think it would be nice to add rowhouses or additional housing fronting 60th, but unfortunately the current spatial organization of the site isn't super conducive to adding many additional buildings.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by ita »

Taco wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:54 am At the minimum, these buildings should be preserved. We do not have enough remaining historic buildings to knock anymore down. I think it would be nice to add rowhouses or additional housing fronting 60th, but unfortunately the current spatial organization of the site isn't super conducive to adding many additional buildings.
That is a really good idea about the row houses on 60th. There is plenty of space in the Northeast corner; they could do something like the Courtyard on Park Ave. project. Anyway, I am interested to see how this develops and it really could be a nice mix of for sale townhouses with rental units in the existing buildings.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by Busguy2010 »

ita wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:24 am
Taco wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:54 am At the minimum, these buildings should be preserved. We do not have enough remaining historic buildings to knock anymore down. I think it would be nice to add rowhouses or additional housing fronting 60th, but unfortunately the current spatial organization of the site isn't super conducive to adding many additional buildings.
That is a really good idea about the row houses on 60th. There is plenty of space in the Northeast corner; they could do something like the Courtyard on Park Ave. project. Anyway, I am interested to see how this develops and it really could be a nice mix of for sale townhouses with rental units in the existing buildings.
I won't hold my breath. They are great looking buildings, which I didn't even know were there. But if you look how big the property is, along with how the buildings are situated, its hard to see how they would work into a plan, given recent development history.

I think they would stand a better chance if they were oriented differently.
Leroy-D
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:43 pm

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by Leroy-D »

Please, don't let them ruin these buildings! I need to get out of this quarantine we all are suffering under and get to see these structures before they destroy them. I had some 1st cousins that were inmates there in 1900 and I want to see the dormitories and the school rooms if I can. From the outside, they are impressive buildings from 1891. Does anyone know if anything has been done to them yet?
Omahacritic
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by Omahacritic »

Out of curiosity about the history of the place I did a search. Only thing I found for the Orphanage was information about adoption searches.

Nothing on Wikipedia. It’s really the first time I’ve had a “no hit” on Wikipedia for a significant place in Omaha. It’s a surprise.
nmalone
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:34 pm

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by nmalone »

There is some information in this brochure https://issuu.com/hanscomparkstudio/doc ... hurst_tour
malexander
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:13 pm

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by malexander »

I spent the summer of '87 here after rehab in Cleveland, when it was a halfway house for recovering teens. Just discovered it used to be an orphanage.

Page 100 of this PDF was interesting - https://landmark.cityofomaha.org/images ... braska.pdf
Omahacritic
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by Omahacritic »

Interesting stuff!
Nanlou
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:03 pm

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by Nanlou »

I was in St. James Orphanage in 1968. They still had a drawing of mine when I visited a few years back, gave me the name of the nun who took care of me and took me around for a tour...I could picture the rows of beds we slept on!
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10813
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by iamjacobm »

Heartland Family Services moving here it appears.
User avatar
MadJack
Home Owners Association
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:46 am

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by MadJack »

Nanlou wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:20 pm I was in St. James Orphanage in 1968. They still had a drawing of mine when I visited a few years back, gave me the name of the nun who took care of me and took me around for a tour...I could picture the rows of beds we slept on!
Very cool story!
Spileggi
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2024 4:43 pm

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by Spileggi »

My grandmother was born in 1930 and adopted with her twin from this orphanage. Would love to see pictures of it.
yman97
Home Owners Association
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:38 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: St James Orphanage Redevelopment

Post by yman97 »

Spileggi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2024 4:45 pm My grandmother was born in 1930 and adopted with her twin from this orphanage. Would love to see pictures of it.
I found a bunch of pictures on the Durham archives: https://durhammuseum.contentdm.oclc.org ... t.%20james