City Skylines (Game)

Humor and off topic conversation
User avatar
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:59 am

City Skylines (Game)

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Anyone else play it? If you haven't I'd highly recommend it, 100% better than Sim City.
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
nebraska
Library Board
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:12 pm
Location: Downtown

Re: City Skylines (Game)

Post by nebraska »

I tried it for a while. The only way I could enjoy it was to add the money cheat. Moving from Sim City 4 to Skylines is a letdown. But if you are comparing it to Sim City (#5) then it's at least 100x better than that.
User avatar
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:59 am

Re: City Skylines (Game)

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

nebraska wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:09 pm I tried it for a while. The only way I could enjoy it was to add the money cheat. Moving from Sim City 4 to Skylines is a letdown. But if you are comparing it to Sim City (#5) then it's at least 100x better than that.
We don't talk about Sim City 5
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003383
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: City Skylines (Game)

Post by BRoss »

I also played for a while. It was cool, but there were just some things in SC4 that I liked much better. Especially when you use NAM.
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:08 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: City Skylines (Game)

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I plan on getting a new laptop in the next few months and purchasing Cities:Skylines simultaneously. It sounds really cool and I haven’t been able to get SC4 to run on my current laptop due to something to do with security issues with the game being over a decade old now. I loved in SC4 how you could build an entire region of interconnected cities and how you could get a car and drive around, but man was it hella glitchy.

I’m really excited about finally being able to play Cities:Skylines because it doesn’t sound nearly as glitchy and there it’s a little more involved than SC4 but kind of disappointed that the biggest city/region you can construct is like, what? 24 square miles?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003383
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: City Skylines (Game)

Post by BRoss »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:01 pm SC4 to run on my current laptop due to something to do with security issues with the game being over a decade old now.

I’m really excited about finally being able to play Cities:Skylines because it doesn’t sound nearly as glitchy and there it’s a little more involved than SC4 but kind of disappointed that the biggest city/region you can construct is like, what? 24 square miles?
I still am able to get it to run and in fact just played it last night. It is buggy and the game crashes a lot, but some of that may have to do with the mods I have.
but kind of disappointed that the biggest city/region you can construct is like, what? 24 square miles?
That's one of the problems I have with it too. With SC4, I can make huge regions. I'm making one now that would probably take me over 10 years to fill up. And I could then edit the config.bmp to make it bigger.

The other killer for me is the lack of detail in the road options. Things such as turn bays (including dual-left bays), auxiliary lanes on freeways, etc. While not in the original game, NAM adds these and nothing in C:S comes close. I even bought all the expansions for it and some mods. Creating a dual-lane freeway exit with proper markings requires a mod to draw lines yourself. Not worth it.

I wanted so much to be able to go to C:S due to how buggy SC4 is. Besides the constant crashes, I commonly get rolling no-job zots and insane amounts of traffic trying to go to neighbor cities that then just passed through to another city, which then eventually loops back around to the original city.