At 41 Stories and 550+ feet, ELEVEN, I believe the tallest residential tower in the Midwest outside of Chicago, is close to being topped out. The tower has a penthouse suite that I think I heard sold for 10million. Offers views of the Mississippi, St. Anthony Falls, Minneapolis and I'm sure you can see St. Paul. It is very visible now coming into the city of I 35, north and south. It stands east of the main part of the Downtown skyline.
I haven’t been there in a while either. After Chicago they have the Midwest most impressive skyline. I know they added a bunch of skyscrapers in the 80’s and 90’s and then things slowed down a little. Seems like most of the more recent highrises have been residential only.
What’s strange is up until about 1970 Downtown Minneapolis skyline wasn’t that great. Then they built the IDS tower and the skyline took off. I think when the Woodmen tower was built in Omaha it would of been the second tallest building in Minneapolis for while. Now it might not even be in the top ten. The Minneapolis skyline really changed substantially in the 80’s and early 90’s and took on a major urban center look.
The first time I drove into Minneapolis was 1980 and the IDS tower was the only really tall building. The Foshay and a few other buildings looked to be around 300 to 400 ft and that was it. About this time if the Woodmen would of been in Minneapolis it would of been number two.