New Lincoln City Flag

Capital city news and discussion.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

New Lincoln City Flag

Post by ita »

Winning City of Lincoln flag design announced

Image
The American Marketing Association - Lincoln Chapter and Lincoln Young Professionals Group announced on Monday the final results of ReFlag Lincoln, a contest to redesign the City of Lincoln flag. A resolution to adopt the design was introduced at Monday’s City Council meeting by Council Chair James Michael Bowers. The City Council will vote on the adoption of the new flag on Jan. 24.

“I couldn’t be happier with the results of the contest to redesign Lincoln’s flag,” said Bowers. “The new design is modern and fresh and reflects all the qualities of Lincoln that we want to celebrate and showcase to the rest of the world.”

The winning flag, entitled All Roads Lead to Lincoln, was created by Ed Mejia, a local creative director, art director and graphic designer. His design was selected by a committee from a pool of over 190 submissions from the public.

According to Mejia, the teal, navy, and gold flag includes art-deco style design, inspired by architecture and Native artwork displayed inside the Nebraska State Capitol. The intersecting lines capture the interconnection of technology, agriculture, and commerce that have drawn people to Lincoln. The beacon in the center symbolizes hope and optimism, as well as Lincoln’s reputation as a safe harbor for those seeking to make our community their home.

“I began the process of designing a submission for Lincoln’s next city flag by reflecting on the emotions I felt when I drove into town the first time”, said Mejia. “Lincoln rises up out of the horizon, beaming with a sense of hope and optimism that is shared by both lifelong residents and recent refugees.”

Other recognizable imagery in the design include a sunrise, the State Capitol building, and an aerial view of the traditional center of town (the star located at 13th and O Street). The teal green is a nod to Lincoln’s verdant tapestry of parks, trails, trees, and green spaces – and the home of the Arbor Day Foundation. The deep blue represents groundwater aquifer, an abundant and valuable natural resource significant to our region. The warm gold represents a bright future and a place where all are warmly welcomed.
User avatar
TreeKiid
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:48 am
Location: Gayville

Re: New City Flag

Post by TreeKiid »

I love the Art Deco motif it has in what I am sure is a nod to the capitol building
User avatar
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm

Re: New City Flag

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

TreeKiid wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:14 am I love the Art Deco motif it has in what I am sure is a nod to the capitol building
This is a beautiful flag

Also I was shocked to see the Trixie pfp lmao
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: New City Flag

Post by Garrett »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:51 pm
TreeKiid wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:14 am I love the Art Deco motif it has in what I am sure is a nod to the capitol building
This is a beautiful flag

Also I was shocked to see the Trixie pfp lmao
Wait there are more gays around than I thought?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
TreeKiid
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:48 am
Location: Gayville

Re: New City Flag

Post by TreeKiid »

Garrett wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:17 pm
PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:51 pm
TreeKiid wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:14 am I love the Art Deco motif it has in what I am sure is a nod to the capitol building
This is a beautiful flag

Also I was shocked to see the Trixie pfp lmao
Wait there are more gays around than I thought?
Momma, we run the world, but around here some just camouflage in a beanie and a flannel lol. Also I wouldn’t be surprised if we never saw Denise Richards again
GrowUpFrances
Home Owners Association
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:36 am

Re: New City Flag

Post by GrowUpFrances »

Yep, that's a nice and distinct city flag.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: New City Flag

Post by Louie »

I hope this group can pull off the same thing in Omaha: https://www.omahaflag.com/
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: New City Flag

Post by Garrett »

Louie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:39 pm I hope this group can pull off the same thing in Omaha: https://www.omahaflag.com/
Honestly I’d love if Omaha did a design competition similar to Lincoln. The Omaha Flag is a nice design, but I’m curious what else people could come up with.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm

Re: New City Flag

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Garrett wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:53 pm
Louie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:39 pm I hope this group can pull off the same thing in Omaha: https://www.omahaflag.com/
Honestly I’d love if Omaha did a design competition similar to Lincoln. The Omaha Flag is a nice design, but I’m curious what else people could come up with.
This one they kept trying to push a couple years ago looks like a pride flag for Teletubbies
Image
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
buildomaha
Human Relations
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: New City Flag

Post by buildomaha »

I would agree that the flag is nice but Omaha deserves something truly iconic.
#gohawks
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: New City Flag

Post by Athomsfere »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:27 am
Garrett wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:53 pm
Louie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:39 pm I hope this group can pull off the same thing in Omaha: https://www.omahaflag.com/
Honestly I’d love if Omaha did a design competition similar to Lincoln. The Omaha Flag is a nice design, but I’m curious what else people could come up with.
This one they kept trying to push a couple years ago looks like a pride flag for Teletubbies
Image
I just found out what this flag was a few weeks ago.

And I love it. I would love for that to be the official Omaha flag.

It's simple, it looks great, and it is iconic IMO.


The Lincoln one is nice. But it's too busy, and overly complicated IMO.


The Nebraska State Flag really needs an overhaul though.

But at the end of the day: A flag is just a piece of cloth. I'm happy there are citizens out there willing to make them better, but it isn't at the top of my concerns.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: New City Flag

Post by Louie »

Athomsfere wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:58 am
PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:27 am
Garrett wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:53 pm
Louie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:39 pm I hope this group can pull off the same thing in Omaha: https://www.omahaflag.com/
Honestly I’d love if Omaha did a design competition similar to Lincoln. The Omaha Flag is a nice design, but I’m curious what else people could come up with.
This one they kept trying to push a couple years ago looks like a pride flag for Teletubbies
Image
I just found out what this flag was a few weeks ago.

And I love it. I would love for that to be the official Omaha flag.

It's simple, it looks great, and it is iconic IMO.


The Lincoln one is nice. But it's too busy, and overly complicated IMO.


The Nebraska State Flag really needs an overhaul though.

But at the end of the day: A flag is just a piece of cloth. I'm happy there are citizens out there willing to make them better, but it isn't at the top of my concerns.
I have one flying on my porch and have gotten quite a few compliments on it.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Lincoln’s New Flag

Post by Coyote »

Lincoln's new flag raised for the first time



KLKNTV - Lincoln Channel 8 | Nebraska Now