Further proof that the Omaha Sub Reddit page can be one of the most asinine places to visit-
The disdain people have for Omaha on that page never ceases to amaze..and in perusing this latest “b!tchfest”, also surprising (considering its Reddit, not so much) is how many people comment that “Omaha and people in Omaha lack or don’t care about culture”.. Another one of the most clueless, asinine takes I read over there..
SMH .. The Anti- Omaha sentiment, fueled by the lazy and uninformed. Par for the course…
Maybe so but over the course of my career in its many iterations I've found an overwhelming majority who have visited and/or been in Omaha on business that have a favorable impression of Omaha. Some times there are those (mainly from the east coast) who find Omaha too small, lacking, etc. Overall I just haven't run into many of those in Cowboy's post. It could be that I've dealt with adults and those in Cowboy's post aren't? No idea.
I got sucked in to reading that. The interesting thing is that from reading what most of the whiners wrote, I’m…..very comfortable that they’re not here anymore? They sound like petulant, condescending, self-important creeps.
NEDodger wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:39 am
I got sucked in to reading that. The interesting thing is that from reading what most of the whiners wrote, I’m…..very comfortable that they’re not here anymore? They sound like petulant, condescending, self-important creeps.
And that smarminess from the lefties! "Of course", "everyone knows", etc. Using the term 'progressive' like a badge, without irony.
NEDodger wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:39 am
I got sucked in to reading that. The interesting thing is that from reading what most of the whiners wrote, I’m…..very comfortable that they’re not here anymore? They sound like petulant, condescending, self-important creeps.
And that smarminess from the lefties! "Of course", "everyone knows", etc. Using the term 'progressive' like a badge, without irony.
I mean let’s not pretend certain right wingers are all about nuance.
Let’s review some of the “highlights” conjured up by these Reddit Anti-Omaha dimwits- from their latest forum B!tchfest-
- You must leave Omaha in order to “find yourself” and become a “better person”.
- Developing hatred of the Christian faith (and for Christian’s in general) apparently has it’s origins in Omaha.
- Omaha has no culture or cultural offerings.
- Additionally, people who live in Omaha have no culture or are too simple minded to want “culture”..
NEDodger is right..most of this Omaha hating flock does not live in Omaha anymore. It’s interesting, though, they all seem to be so wired in to the Omaha Reddit page. I dunno. If I hated Omaha so much, the last place I’d hang out on line, would be any Omaha centric web page..but that’s me..
In any case, it’s more of the same, nonsensical rhetoric we’ve heard before. Somehow when one moves away from Omaha, the individual magically becomes a “better, more complete human being”, lol..The bullsh!t these people come up with never ceases to amaze.. And the fact they outright lie about what it’s like to live in Omaha to prove their tired, baseless points of view..really has no right or left leaning political origins to me..what annoys me the most, is the lying, the “half- truths” and the hypocrisy..
If the core of your human essence is to be an annoying, miserable person- you’ll continue to be an annoying, miserable person regardless if you live in Omaha, Seattle, or whatever these Reddit dimwits idea of Shangri-La is…
NEDodger wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:39 am
I got sucked in to reading that. The interesting thing is that from reading what most of the whiners wrote, I’m…..very comfortable that they’re not here anymore? They sound like petulant, condescending, self-important creeps.
And that smarminess from the lefties! "Of course", "everyone knows", etc. Using the term 'progressive' like a badge, without irony.
I mean let’s not pretend certain right wingers are all about nuan
ce.
Cowboy you hit it on the head. I left Omaha in 2008 and I am still a Husker at heart. If I hated it or even just disliked my life there I wouldn't want to think about it anymore let alone hop on a reddit thread or whatever. I just chatted with my wife, who was born in Michigan & moved to Omaha when we got married in 1997, and she agreed that we had a wonderful life in Omaha. Lots of friends & plenty to do. We moved to Michigan for my business, not because we didn't like Omaha. Are there things we have here that Omaha doesn't? Sure. But I think my wife nailed it. You make a life wherever you are. If you're unhappy either change something or move. On the other hand, are you going to keep moving when your current address doesn't work like you wanted?
Anyway, whiners gonna whine. Me, I'm planning a brief trip back to Omaha this summer with our daughter to see friends. She hasn't been back since my mom's funeral in 2015 & I've only been back a couple of times, each for a few hours only. Not sure when but I'd sure like to maybe meet some of you for a drink when we're there.
At the end of the day, you can have the sweetest, juiciest, most perfect peaches in the world, and someone will still not like peaches. You can't worry about the opinions of those people. I left Omaha almost 9 years ago but still love the city and check this website daily. Hand wringing over reddit opinions will get you nowhere.
Bob from Omaha wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:40 pm
Cowboy you hit it on the head. I left Omaha in 2008 and I am still a Husker at heart. If I hated it or even just disliked my life there I wouldn't want to think about it anymore let alone hop on a reddit thread or whatever.
Not sure when but I'd sure like to maybe meet some of you for a drink when we're there.
Right- it’s amusing and quite curious at the same time..almost like this anti-Omaha flock needs to have a sort of bizarre outlet (Reddit) to keep their sanity and justify their decision to move away, lol..
Keep me in the loop when you’ll be back in town over the summer, we can definitely get a group of us together for some adult beverages …
Some people just have to be haters. But that doesn’t mean that there aren’t quite a few legitimate criticisms in there. I think Omaha is an overall very good place to live (and getting better by the day). But there are some things that honestly do kind of suck about Omaha, too.
That said, I don’t get the appeal of moaning about places that you don’t live. There are cities I absolutely hate, but I’m not there now, so I don’t even think of them, let alone post about them online.
jessep28 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:42 am
Between stuff like that and the weekly threads complaining about Omaha drivers, I don't venture in the Omaha sub very often anymore.
Those threads are soooo stupid! They always point out the ticketing statistics as evidence of our bad drivers, and they NEVER think that maybe it's because our enforcement is different than other cities. Also, WHY does anyone care about the drivers so much? Guess you must not have many other problems in your life if someone driving the speed limit in the fast lane is your biggest internet gripe.
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:27 amthis anti-Omaha flock needs to have a sort of bizarre outlet (Reddit) to keep their sanity and justify their decision to move away, lol..
100% agreed on this. They're insecure with who they are, so they put down Omaha relentlessly.
It's pathetic.
Some of the folks that live here, you'll ask them, "Why don't you move if you hate it so much?" And they'll invariably say something like: I can't afford to live anywhere else, my niche job pays much better here relative to the coasts, etc. If these people really hated Omaha so much, they'd maybe rent a smaller place and maybe get a roommate to afford the rent, because that would signal that they value the other cities more and are willing to make trade-off decisions. Instead, they're just lying to themselves that maybe Omaha has some qualities that are not so bad.
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:27 amthis anti-Omaha flock needs to have a sort of bizarre outlet (Reddit) to keep their sanity and justify their decision to move away, lol..
100% agreed on this. They're insecure with who they are, so they put down Omaha relentlessly.
It's pathetic.
Exactly. Who decides they don't like living in a place, move, and then frequently visits a Reddit sub-forum on the place they "happily" left so they can talk down about it?
That sort of person is the reason why I would struggle to ever move to Kansas City. I feel like I've come across too many acquaintances from grade school who move to Kansas City and their social media becomes a "look at me, living in a large cosmopolitan city now, I'm so cultured, go Chiefs!" when the live in, like, Olathe and essentially lead the same life they did before in west Omaha. Regardless if I'm the only one who has found this to be the case, I can't bring myself to feel lumped in with that..
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:27 amthis anti-Omaha flock needs to have a sort of bizarre outlet (Reddit) to keep their sanity and justify their decision to move away, lol..
100% agreed on this. They're insecure with who they are, so they put down Omaha relentlessly.
It's pathetic.
Exactly. Who decides they don't like living in a place, move, and then frequently visits a Reddit sub-forum on the place they "happily" left so they can talk down about it?
That sort of person is the reason why I would struggle to ever move to Kansas City. I feel like I've come across too many acquaintances from grade school who move to Kansas City and their social media becomes a "look at me, living in a large cosmopolitan city now, I'm so cultured, go Chiefs!" when the live in, like, Olathe and essentially lead the same life they did before in west Omaha. Regardless if I'm the only one who has found this to be the case, I can't bring myself to feel lumped in with that..
This is so true for the vast majority of the Anti-Omaha flock..that somehow moving away from Omaha magically transforms them into a better person..and now they’re away from Omaha, that makes them “superior” and an “authority”. It’s utter bullsh!t of course..but it’s part of their lie and they’re kidding themselves. They need to justify- to themselves - that they’re somehow a happier, more well rounded person after leaving Omaha..although the reality is, they’re living the same essential life they did when living in Omaha, lol ..
You’re Olathe KS/West Omaha example hits this right on the screws…
Having lived in Omaha, Lincoln, KC, and LA, I prefer Omaha and purchased a house in east Omaha. It is a good combination of being large enough to have many things to do and places to eat, but is easier to get around and safer than KC and LA. Most of the large sporting events and all the large concerts are conveniently located downtown with either a short bus ride or bike ride away and parking is relatively easy and cheap for cars. While I spend the majority of my time in Asia year after year, my favorite US city continues to be Omaha. My wife seems to agree. I would spend zero amount of time feeling bad about what is posted on Reddit.
Speaking of the lies and half truths I mentioned in an earlier post here- these Omaha Reddit Anti-Omaha dimwits spew this bullsh!t on nearly a daily basis- Take a gander at this latest “gem” post from this afternoon then read his response defending his “opinion”. These folks really are clueless parasites-
r/omaha is miserable. Most people on there are convinced that Omaha is dying and losing population even though the city grew by over 10 percent since 2010. It's one of the fastest growth rates for a city in the midwest. I don't get it
This is the thread I was looking for earlier Sunday when I posted a screenshot of that asinine piece of garbage in the Joslyn discussion. I just didn't use the right search terms.
Is Omaha a perfect place? No. Is it misery on Earth (as the Reddit Anti-Omaha flock would have you believe)? Also No. These folks can have their negative opinion about our city/metro..But don’t lie, mis-state FACT and come up with half-truths to bash Omaha and back up the negative opinion..That opinion is formulated through lies and non transparency..
I only bring this habit to light here, because I know there are several members of our forum who double post over on Reddit Omaha- and I believe our folks that do, have (at least a bit of) an obligation to fact check the Anti-Omaha flock over there. Let’s face it- for better or worse, there are nearly 60k members of that Reddit Omaha page and people (outside of Omaha)looking for information on Omaha and the metro area do go there for information. The r/Reddit Anti-Omaha flock do them a disservice when they read their non factual drivel…
I no longer feel safe posting on Reddit after getting a life time ban on a sub for posting something that even other mods couldn't find objectionable.
Omaha subreddit should be cleansed from the internet, but given the nature of our world, that won't happen. One thing that people could do is report posts as inaccurate. That would require you to get on Reddit and as above, I think I am going to block that entire site from my consciousness for my own wellness.
I really don’t see the point of focusing on this. If it’s going to upset you so much, why pay attention to it? Arguing with people on the internet rarely does anything.
It’s not so much upsetting as it is fact checking misinformation given to people asking questions about Omaha and the metro- from people considering a move into the area etc- those folks read un-factual lies, and get the wrong impression of our city. There are 60k members of that Omaha sub Reddit alone. I simply think it would be nice for those who are members here and also post there, to fact check these negative Nelly’s every once and awhile. Especially the blatant un factual stuff.. That’s all…
I see your point, but give the mods' power to overreach and the users' inability to defend themselves coupled with the slant left approach of not just that sub, but most of Reddit and the hate oriented slant of even other Nebraska subs, I think it would be wise to work on our search ranking and to have a ready site for outsiders looking for Omaha Info.
I generally like the Omaha subreddit, but it is full of crazy thoughts.
Then there is Facebook, and the various groups for Omaha including the World Herald comment section. Equally scary, maybe even more so. Although the political bent is in the opposite direction.
eOmaha absolutely has the best mix of people for Omaha discussions. It's just quiet when nothing new is happening.
Athomsfere wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:48 pm
I generally like the Omaha subreddit, but it is full of crazy thoughts.
I know you post over on that Omaha Subreddit (I occasionally do myself). If you would- Please continue to fact-check the Anti-Omaha flock (when you deem necessary).. The crazy lies and misinformation spread over there is literally like a pandemic..and I hate to see people from outside the Omaha area absorb wrong information and get a negative impression of our city..That’s really all I care about. Those Reddit negative Nelly’s can continue their Omaha hate as long as they desire- that’s their albatross…
Athomsfere wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:48 pm
I generally like the Omaha subreddit, but it is full of crazy thoughts.
I know you post over on that Omaha Subreddit (I occasionally do myself). If you would- Please continue to fact-check the Anti-Omaha flock (when you deem necessary).. The crazy lies and misinformation spread over there is literally like a pandemic..and I hate to see people from outside the Omaha area absorb wrong information and get a negative impression of our city..That’s really all I care about. Those Reddit negative Nelly’s can continue their Omaha hate as long as they desire- that’s their albatross…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
I do try! Between r/Omaha, Lincoln, Nebraska and the Omaha Tech subreddit...
But without a doubt the people that come out of nowhere to complain about things like the MoO tower preventing pot holes from being repaired... Or apartments "No one can afford", yet never sitting empty... It could be a full time job.
Athomsfere wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:48 pm
I generally like the Omaha subreddit, but it is full of crazy thoughts.
I know you post over on that Omaha Subreddit (I occasionally do myself). If you would- Please continue to fact-check the Anti-Omaha flock (when you deem necessary).. The crazy lies and misinformation spread over there is literally like a pandemic..and I hate to see people from outside the Omaha area absorb wrong information and get a negative impression of our city..That’s really all I care about. Those Reddit negative Nelly’s can continue their Omaha hate as long as they desire- that’s their albatross…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
I do try! Between r/Omaha, Lincoln, Nebraska and the Omaha Tech subreddit...
But without a doubt the people that come out of nowhere to complain about things like the MoO tower preventing pot holes from being repaired... Or apartments "No one can afford", yet never sitting empty... It could be a full time job.
Lol, I completely agree. And maybe some OT mixed in as well. I have seen you fact check over there and I thank you for it ..
Some of the stuff those negative folk come up with is completely bizarre that’s for certain…
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:45 pm
Lol, I completely agree. And maybe some OT mixed in as well. I have seen you fact check over there and I thank you for it ..
Some of the stuff those negative folk come up with is completely bizarre that’s for certain…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
I'm being watched!!!
LOL, really I guess I'm just in a position where I can try and get Omaha behind all of the good things we are trying to do. Between code reviews, builds, and conference calls I can browse, google, and argue.
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:45 pm
Lol, I completely agree. And maybe some OT mixed in as well. I have seen you fact check over there and I thank you for it ..
Some of the stuff those negative folk come up with is completely bizarre that’s for certain…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
I'm being watched!!!
LOL, really I guess I'm just in a position where I can try and get Omaha behind all of the good things we are trying to do. Between code reviews, builds, and conference calls I can browse, google, and argue.
Yes- “Big brother is watching you” ..
Kidding aside, I also try to do it whenever I can…
I guess even though I am retired now and I spend waaaay too much time on social media (at least when the weather is cold) I have not found the time to even realize there is an Omaha related page on Reddit! And after reading all of your comments I guess I am VERY happy that I am totally unfamiliar with that site or the postings contained on it.
Here is my 2¢ worth.
1. Regarding anyone and everyone who professes to dislike Omaha (or anything else in the known universe for that matter), yet who spends any substantial amount of time yammering on and on about that which they profess not to like, they are rather like the person who bitches incessantly about their Ex, who dumped them. They really haven’t gotten over Omaha, the place they both love to hate and hate to admit they still love. Shakespeare had a famous line. “the lady doth protest too much, methinks.” It describes these folks perfectly.
2. Those of you in here that are getting worked up over these people need to ask yourselves why you are spending so much time talking about them? Would a New Yorker give a rat’s a$$ what anyone has to say negative about New York? Of course not. For goodness sakes, just ignore them and move on to a more productive use of your time. What you decide to post on this thread simply isn’t going to matter one bit to those people. Frankly, if anything, talking about them here just serves to focus more attention on them. And isn’t that exactly the opposite of what you want?
nativeomahan wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:57 am
2. Those of you in here that are getting worked up over these people need to ask yourselves why you are spending so much time talking about them? Would a New Yorker give a rat’s a$$ what anyone has to say negative about New York? Of course not. For goodness sakes, just ignore them and move on to a more productive use of your time. What you decide to post on this thread simply isn’t going to matter one bit to those people. Frankly, if anything, talking about them here just serves to focus more attention on them. And isn’t that exactly the opposite of what you want?
For me, I am watching for news and new things happening around town. Reddit can be (Omaha subreddit included) a great place to find info on what's happening around town.
As for why I interact with the worst of the mis-informed arm chair warriors? It isn't that I expect to change their minds, but maybe someone will read those comments and think "I never thought about this thing, and this guy makes sense". I want to be the other voice before confirmation bias starts making the bad ideas the intuitive choice.
I like to think that at the very least I can share some concepts that the average Omaha resident doesn't think or know about, and give a few people over the years some tools to evaluate why a LRT is a benefit over adding lanes. Or why argument X is just a logical fallacy, even if the resulting conclusion is valid.
I think I’ve made it pretty clear, since we have some poster’s here who double dip and post on Omaha Reddit (as do I occasionally), the purpose is to bring attention the negativity there and fact check the lies some post regarding the Omaha area..that way, those who are from the outside and ask questions about the city/metro- don’t get misinformed and get the wrong impressions.. that’s pretty much all
There seems to be an “uptick” in the negative Omaha threads on the infamous Omaha Reddit page (now with over 63k subs) in the past week or so. The good news is now, more than ever before, most are getting fed up with the anti Omaha crowd and are speaking up against their misrepresenting diatribes..
Here is the latest nonsense (and this seems to be the reoccurring theme from the anti Omaha clan over there)-
I’ve already commented and “fact checked” several folks, lol…
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:12 pm
Here is the latest nonsense (and this seems to be the reoccurring theme from the anti Omaha clan over there)-
Yeah that post is dumb. At least OP is getting torn apart in the comments.
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:12 pm
Here is the latest nonsense (and this seems to be the reoccurring theme from the anti Omaha clan over there)-
Yeah that post is dumb. At least OP is getting torn apart in the comments.
Agreed. Many of the posters are starting to see and really get tired of the bitter lies and misrepresentations the anti Omaha clan seems to repeatedly spew…