Last Howard Johnson's restaurant in America closes
WNYT NewsChannel 13
The last surviving Howard Johnson's restaurant is no more. It was in Lake George, New York, about an hour north of Albany. At its heyday in the 1960s and 1970s, the chain was bigger than McDonald's.
Howard Johnson’s restaurant gone
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
-
Padre
- Human Relations
- Posts: 929
- Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Howard Johnson’s restaurant gone
When we were young, my parents took us on a vacation to Florida. Since it was pre internet, my mom took the easy way out and booked us in different Howard Johnson's, from Miami, all the way up the Atlantic coast of Florida, then going West to Orlando. Since most of them had restaurants attached, we ate there a lot that trip.
It was there that I first encountered fried clams. As I recall, on certain days you could get all you can eat fried clams, though at eight years, old, I never got more than one serving.
The other thing I can remember is they sold salt water taffy, which was something else I'd never had growing up in Denver.
It was there that I first encountered fried clams. As I recall, on certain days you could get all you can eat fried clams, though at eight years, old, I never got more than one serving.
The other thing I can remember is they sold salt water taffy, which was something else I'd never had growing up in Denver.