I don’t fly often but know some of you on here that do. My wife and I are flying to Jamaica at the beginning of October but my passport expiration date is the end of October. I recently heard that you have to have an expiration date at least 6 months out from your travel date. Anyone know if this is true? If so I am going to need to do an expedited renewal to get it in time.
Any help would be appreciated!
Passport Question
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
-
NEDodger
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1356
- Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:19 am
Re: Passport Question
I do travel quite a bit, and I believe it depends on what country you are traveling to.
I found this on Jamaica - it appears that for U.S. citizens the passport only has to be valid for the duration of your stay:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... maica.html
I found this on Jamaica - it appears that for U.S. citizens the passport only has to be valid for the duration of your stay:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... maica.html
-
WorldStreet
- Library Board
- Posts: 266
- Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:46 am
- Location: Omaha/Shanghai
Re: Passport Question
To enter Jamaica, official sites state that the passport must be valid at time of entry and when exiting Jamaica. However, a general rule for entering most countries around the world is to have a passport that is valid for at least six months. I noticed a few non-Jamaican government websites recommend to have a passport with six months of validity.
The port-of-entry at time of arrival will make a determination and in most cases, they will let US citizens in even though the passport expires in less than six months. However, because your passport expires so soon upon your entry, I would not take any risk and instead I would expedite acquiring a new passport before traveling to Jamaica.
The port-of-entry at time of arrival will make a determination and in most cases, they will let US citizens in even though the passport expires in less than six months. However, because your passport expires so soon upon your entry, I would not take any risk and instead I would expedite acquiring a new passport before traveling to Jamaica.
Steve
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Passport Question
Thank you guys for your quick response. I just got back into town today and looked online and they are offering a pilot program to process passports online. I figured that should at least save me a week with mailing time.
I decided to go ahead and renew via expedited so hopefully I will get it with a week to spare.
I decided to go ahead and renew via expedited so hopefully I will get it with a week to spare.