Panera Bread (168th & Harrison)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.
SWO
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:38 am

Panera Bread (168th & Harrison)

Post by SWO »

Does anyone else recall Grow Omaha reporting a couple of years ago that Panera Bread would be building a store at 168th & Harrison? Did that plan fizzle? I have not heard any more about its development since and do not see any empty lots in the area that could still accommodate a store. Thanks!
User avatar
MadJack
Home Owners Association
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:46 am

Re: Panera Bread (168th & Harrison)

Post by MadJack »

Yes, it was pre-pandemic. I assume the plan fizzled but not 100 percent sure.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Panera Bread (168th & Harrison)

Post by djc311 »

Seems like it would be a little close to their 175th and Center St, no? I mean Panera is OK but even before prices went through the roof at more affordable fast food places I always though Panera was the Starbucks of bagels and fancy toasted sandwiches. You couldn't go in there for lunch without spending almost $20 before the pandemic. I imagine it's even more now.

I like to see things develop but I can't see one going in over there - the only spot that's even somewhat possible is the vacant lot to the west of the TB on Harrison. Of course that means they couldn't turn it into the annual fireworks tent spot when that gets sold.

I would think 180th & Harrison would now be a better spot on the SE corner. But again that's a straight shot south from the store by Target on Center St. Who knows, wouldn't be the first time I was incorrect!

On a separate note when JJs built on the south side of Harrison they had signage up on the other half saying it was going to be a pizza shop. Guess that plan fell apart also.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Panera Bread (168th & Harrison)

Post by ChadJK »

I have noticed a growing dislike of Panera on social media. The place seemed to be universally loved 20 years ago. Now, it's often likened to overpriced hospital food. I must concur as my desire to eat there has certainly declined over the last 10 years or so. I joke that it's where middle-aged women meet for lunch.
User avatar
MadJack
Home Owners Association
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:46 am

Re: Panera Bread (168th & Harrison)

Post by MadJack »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:24 am I have noticed a growing dislike of Panera on social media. The place seemed to be universally loved 20 years ago. Now, it's often likened to overpriced hospital food. I must concur as my desire to eat there has certainly declined over the last 10 years or so. I joke that it's where middle-aged women meet for lunch.
Funny you should say this as I was recently thinking the same thing. Years ago, I went to Panera all the time. Now I flat out dislike the place.
PWL73316
Library Board
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:17 pm

Re: Panera Bread (168th & Harrison)

Post by PWL73316 »

Bought by private equity and quickly ruined. Same story as every other mid-size restaurant chain.