Taco Johns in Gretna?
-
Eyandem
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:23 pm
Taco Johns in Gretna?
Does anyone know what happened with that location? It was there one day and gone the next. All the signage has been taken down.
Does anyone know if anything is going in that spot??
Does anyone know if anything is going in that spot??

-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110950
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
Always wondered why they built right across from Taco Bell. Haven't seen the signs down yet. How long ago? They had their hiring signs out as recently as a week ago, I belive.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
Actually, if I recall correctly, Taco John's was built and serving customers before they started construction on that Taco Bell. Though, they were never going to survive with Taco Bell literally across the street from them (plus all of the other restaurant struggles of the last 3 years). They cut their hours back too (not sure if that was because of business or staffing) but the TJ website continued to list the old incorrect hours. I can remember one time they look closed, but I tried the drive thru anyway and was greeted. When I got to the window I told them most of their lights were off and the place looked closed. The employee shrugged.nebugeater wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:19 am Always wondered why they built right across from Taco Bell. Haven't seen the signs down yet. How long ago? They had their hiring signs out as recently as a week ago, I belive.
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
It struck me that TJ and TB were catering to different audiences--maybe TB was more of a 'no brainer', a default like Mickey D's.nebugeater wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:19 am Always wondered why they built right across from Taco Bell. Haven't seen the signs down yet. How long ago? They had their hiring signs out as recently as a week ago, I belive.
Alls I know is that TB doesn't have Potato Oles, so there. :-)
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
Yo can call a tater-tot whatever you want, but it's still just a tater-tot.damonhynes wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:06 pm Alls I know is that TB doesn't have Potato Oles, so there. :-)
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
:-)ChadJK wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:53 pmYo can call a tater-tot whatever you want, but it's still just a tater-tot.damonhynes wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:06 pm Alls I know is that TB doesn't have Potato Oles, so there. :-)![]()
-
Erik
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1524
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
Taco johns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Taco Bell when going for fast food texmex
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
If only more people agreed that location would still be open.Erik wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:17 am Taco johns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Taco Bell when going for fast food texmex
-
Erik
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1524
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
True. Plus TJs is more expensiveChadJK wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:01 amIf only more people agreed that location would still be open.Erik wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:17 am Taco johns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Taco Bell when going for fast food texmex![]()
-
advcomp2019
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 129
- Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:23 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
I do not know if this is link to this or not, but the Taco John's in Missouri Valley was closed too.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
I wonder if there are two different franchises around the metro and one of them closed up while the other is remodeling stores?advcomp2019 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:13 pm I do not know if this is link to this or not, but the Taco John's in Missouri Valley was closed too.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
advcomp2019
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 129
- Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:23 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
The sign for the Missouri Valley one says "STORE CLOSED" on it. Plus the building is 100% empty too..Brad wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:18 pmI wonder if there are two different franchises around the metro and one of them closed up while the other is remodeling stores?advcomp2019 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:13 pm I do not know if this is link to this or not, but the Taco John's in Missouri Valley was closed too.
We even asked at PetroMart, and that person said they closed about a month ago, but I would not know if that is true.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
Sorry, my post my have been confusing, combining posts from two different threads. The Franchise Owner of the Gretna and Mo Valley may have closed. But the Owner of the Omaha Locations has actually remodeled several of their stores according to Skinzfan.advcomp2019 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:26 pmThe sign for the Missouri Valley one says "STORE CLOSED" on it. Plus the building is 100% empty too..Brad wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:18 pmI wonder if there are two different franchises around the metro and one of them closed up while the other is remodeling stores?advcomp2019 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:13 pm I do not know if this is link to this or not, but the Taco John's in Missouri Valley was closed too.
We even asked at PetroMart, and that person said they closed about a month ago, but I would not know if that is true.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
advcomp2019
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 129
- Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:23 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
I just looked at the GIS sites. Looks like the land was owned by the same people, but from what I can find about the Missouri Valley Taco John's, Taco John's was leasing the building.Brad wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:30 pmSorry, my post my have been confusing, combining posts from two different threads. The Franchise Owner of the Gretna and Mo Valley may have closed. But the Owner of the Omaha Locations has actually remodeled several of their stores according to Skinzfan.advcomp2019 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:26 pmThe sign for the Missouri Valley one says "STORE CLOSED" on it. Plus the building is 100% empty too..Brad wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:18 pmI wonder if there are two different franchises around the metro and one of them closed up while the other is remodeling stores?advcomp2019 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:13 pm I do not know if this is link to this or not, but the Taco John's in Missouri Valley was closed too.
We even asked at PetroMart, and that person said they closed about a month ago, but I would not know if that is true.
I am not sure on the Gretna location tho.
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
Amigos > Taco John's > Taco Bell.
As far as Omaha's TJ, they are operated by the former Operations Manager for Simmonds Restaurant Management. He acquired the franchise when Mike Simmonds retired. I think his name is Jeffrey Brenmer.
As far as Omaha's TJ, they are operated by the former Operations Manager for Simmonds Restaurant Management. He acquired the franchise when Mike Simmonds retired. I think his name is Jeffrey Brenmer.
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
Taco Bell is fighting to cancel the ‘Taco Tuesday’ trademark
The “Taco Tuesday” trademark has been owned by Taco John’s for 34 yrs.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/16/business ... index.html
The “Taco Tuesday” trademark has been owned by Taco John’s for 34 yrs.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/16/business ... index.html
We are the people our parents warned us about.
Jimmy Buffett
Jimmy Buffett
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
Taco John's used to send cease and desists lawyer letters to anyone using Taco Tuesday. They would literary google up the phrase "Taco Tuesday" find random bars and restaurants across the country using it and have their legal team send them letters about it. They still go after the larger regional and national chains that try and use it, but I've heard they've laid off the ma-and-pa businesses in recent years (bad David-v-Goliath optics). I think it was 7 or 8 years ago that Cubby's Bear Trap (now closed) in Bellevue got a letter telling them to cease using the phrase.
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm
Re: Taco Johns in Gretna?
Abelrado's uses it.ChadJK wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:34 am Taco John's used to send cease and desists lawyer letters to anyone using Taco Tuesday. They would literary google up the phrase "Taco Tuesday" find random bars and restaurants across the country using it and have their legal team send them letters about it. They still go after the larger regional and national chains that try and use it, but I've heard they've laid off the ma-and-pa businesses in recent years (bad David-v-Goliath optics). I think it was 7 or 8 years ago that Cubby's Bear Trap (now closed) in Bellevue got a letter telling them to cease using the phrase.