By far the WORST part of the weather warming up this time of year is the fact it brings out the idiots on motorcycles (IMO anyway). I understand there are at least some people who don't ride like they have a death wish BUT in my experience anyway, the amount who ride like absolute lunatics and excessively speed (seemingly doubling the speed limit at times - maybe more), zig-zag through traffic, take the shoulder to pass people, etc, etc out weighs the others by what seems like a large amount. Maybe it's because I don't notice the people as much who aren't being complete a-holes on 2 wheels.
Then on top of it we get these marketing campaigns telling us to "watch for motorcycles". I get it, there are plenty of accidents that occur because people aren't paying attention or "looking-twice" (especially since people can't be bothered to drive without constantly staring at their phones). The message isn't wrong. However, a much larger issue (IMO) is the reckless nature that many of these people ride their motorcycles. I don't think it's any coincidence that during warm weather months, it seems like there is a motorcycle fatality weekly in Omaha. MANY of these, I would guess, were the fault of the rider more than anything else.
Save a life, don't ride like a moron.
Motorcycles
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Motorcycles
Motorcycles attract less risk averse people as owners.
-
stormchaser
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2380
- Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am
Re: Motorcycles
I agree - it frustrates me that we are told we need to be mindful of them and "look twice". If I need to do my part, they need to do the same and not ride like absolute lunatics everywhere.
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Motorcycles
I've always been a little annoyed that motorcycle riders (are they riders or drivers?) have chosen an inherently unsafe method of transportation and then put the burden of their safety on everyone else on the road with their "Look Twice," "Share the Road,," and "Motorcycles. Start Seeing Them" messaging. Then, there's the obnoxiously loud exhaust and the dbags that every time they're stopped (at a traffic light or in a parking lot) have to just rev the engine for no other reason than to hear it rev. Finally, there's the weekend bikers that only ride on fair weather weekends on the same half dozen highways surrounding the Omaha metro. I get to deal with the endless streams of them because I live off one of those highways. Yea, safe to say I'm not a fan. But hey, "Live Free or Die." 