I live right down the street from this corner and I've been well aware of the construction to redo Giles (building the bridge over the BNSF train tracks, etc). The bridge actually looks nearly complete. I do know they're finishing some sewer work along Giles going west after the bridge (around 185th up to 192nd).
What I'm not sure about is what's going in on the SE corner of 192nd & Giles. There was a farm with a home and a few out buildings there for many years which was just torn down about a month or two ago. After it was torn down they've been hammering away at dirt work, leveling things out - definitely looks like they're prepping for some type of construction.
One of my neighbors told me Gretna Public Schools bought that land. I know they're expanding and opening new schools like crazy, but they already have an elementary school about a block north on 192nd. And I think they just built a middle school or perhaps another elementary school to the south (near Aspen Creek). I can't see them dropping another elementary school there.
I also find the way they're redoing Giles to be a bit odd, especially if they're planning on putting a school there. From what I've read, Sarpy is putting in a roundabout at 192nd & Giles as well as near 187th & Giles.
There is one commercial lot to the east that's listed for sale by Access Realty for over $1 million. I think it's about 3 acres right at the end (or beginning if you're heading east on Giles) of the new bridge.
Does anyone know what's going in?
New Gretna Middle School (SEC 192nd & Giles)
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2140
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036565
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: New Gretna Middle School (SEC 192nd & Giles)
Its a school. I recently heard that too and looked up the property and it is own by the school district.djc311 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:33 pm What I'm not sure about is what's going in on the SE corner of 192nd & Giles. There was a farm with a home and a few out buildings there for many years which was just torn down about a month or two ago. After it was torn down they've been hammering away at dirt work, leveling things out - definitely looks like they're prepping for some type of construction.
One of my neighbors told me Gretna Public Schools bought that land. I know they're expanding and opening new schools like crazy, but they already have an elementary school about a block north on 192nd. And I think they just built a middle school or perhaps another elementary school to the south (near Aspen Creek). I can't see them dropping another elementary school there.
Have you driven down 180th late? Several large roundabouts.djc311 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:33 pm I also find the way they're redoing Giles to be a bit odd, especially if they're planning on putting a school there. From what I've read, Sarpy is putting in a roundabout at 192nd & Giles as well as near 187th & Giles.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2140
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: New Gretna Middle School (SEC 192nd & Giles)
Brad wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:59 pm
Its a school. I recently heard that too and looked up the property and it is own by the school district.
Have you driven down 180th late? Several large roundabouts.
Do we know if it's elementary, middle or high school for Gretna?
Am I the only one who finds it a little weird that out of nowhere they figured roundabouts are the solution to crappy intersections?
-
cchandler790
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 36
- Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:40 pm
Re: New Gretna Middle School (SEC 192nd & Giles)
It's going to be a new middle school! The 3rd one
-
PWL73316
- Library Board
- Posts: 300
- Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:17 pm
Re: New Gretna Middle School (SEC 192nd & Giles)
When I took my driving test in Kansas 20 years ago, it said "modern roundabouts are coming to Kansas!" and I had never seen one in my life. And that book was probably very old even at that time.djc311 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:52 pmBrad wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:59 pm
Its a school. I recently heard that too and looked up the property and it is own by the school district.
Have you driven down 180th late? Several large roundabouts.
Do we know if it's elementary, middle or high school for Gretna?
Am I the only one who finds it a little weird that out of nowhere they figured roundabouts are the solution to crappy intersections?
Roundabouts are the solution for 4-way stops that back up, and can be the solution for almost any intersection. That's been known for a long time. Very few European cities have American-style stoplights in their interiors. The barrier is American familiarity and willingness to try them, not the traffic engineering.
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: New Gretna Middle School (SEC 192nd & Giles)
I grew up watching my daddy wheel around the Halls Ferry Circle in St. Louis. Roundabouts don't scare me. Bring 'em.
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: New Gretna Middle School (SEC 192nd & Giles)
Meh. Roundabouts are optional.
Notice they really slope the curbs on them? That's because most large trucks and 18-wheelers can't use roundabouts so they have to be able to drive over part of them. Consequently, everyone can drive over part of them. Next time you're at a roundabout just drive straight over it and watch the reactions. lol
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2140
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: New Gretna Middle School (SEC 192nd & Giles)
Hellz yeah!ChadJK wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:47 am Meh. Roundabouts are optional.Notice they really slope the curbs on them? That's because most large trucks and 18-wheelers can't use roundabouts so they have to be able to drive over part of them. Consequently, everyone can drive over part of them. Next time you're at a roundabout just drive straight over it and watch the reactions. lol
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036565
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: New Gretna Middle School (SEC 192nd & Giles)
djc311 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:52 pm Do we know if it's elementary, middle or high school for Gretna?
Gretna Middle School Number #3
See Page 14:
https://www.gretnane.org/AgendaCenter/V ... 282023-800

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2140
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: New Gretna Middle School (SEC 192nd & Giles)
Cool, thanks for the link! I wasn't sure how it would be positioned on that land... it appears they plan on using the majority of that farm! There's one commercial lot for sale to the east of the school and they want over a million dollars for 3 acres. Seems like a lot of $$$ considering the location.Brad wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:12 amdjc311 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:52 pm Do we know if it's elementary, middle or high school for Gretna?
Gretna Middle School Number #3
See Page 14:
https://www.gretnane.org/AgendaCenter/V ... 282023-800